Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• middle back help

pretty simple question..

Unless I do deads or rack deads I can't get my middle back sore..I don't base my workouts soley on that but its nice to b a little sore the next day

For back thickness I basically do any type of rows..I don't know if I'm goin too heavy or wat my problem is..if anyone could help with tips or sumthing else it'd b appreciated..

Stats 5'9 200lbs..been doin dc for bout 2 years..was 217 last winter n cut to 188 this summer..lookin to hit 220-225 this winter

Cable rows with the v-handle attachment.
    Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

On deadlift days, I usually do my heavy sets, then take it down to about a 10 rep max, then immediately go to a rowing exercise, any of them, and do about 20 reps to really get my lower back going. If you think you're using too heavy a weight, try a lower weight. Just try a few different things and see what works for you. There are about 100 different variations of rows, surely something has to work, just start plugging them in a trying them.
      …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Have you tried DB rows (knee on a bench) pulling high and squeezing at the top? It may be more effective for you as it allows you to focus on 1 side at a time.
        -KidRok-
        "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
        5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

In the DC training vid they did a barbell row in the smith machine... Feet together and set up underneath the bar....really good lift imo

Comment

Originally posted by moparfreak360 View Post
            In the DC training vid they did a barbell row in the smith machine... Feet together and set up underneath the bar....really good lift imo
            I like these as well...never saw the video but have done my version quite a bit. I am unsure of the angle of your torso though. I have to stay somewhat high due to lower back issues when I can do them anymore....
            STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

These look really effective as well:

[youtube]Kr6-OKbCqu4[/youtube]

You could probably do the same thing in a Smith though.
              Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

I don't know the name for this..it's not a common bodybuilding exercise and I've only seen in mentioned a few times in books on powerlifting..
                Take a safety squat bar, load up a plate per side and unrack it. Now, do a standing crunch only with your upper back (keep your lower back arched). Go deep, and then shoot back up, and almost hyper extend at the top (this is why it's important to hang onto the handles of the safety squat bar, and the placement of your hands also helps contract that area). That's one rep. Do 4 sets of 10 and you'll be sore in places of your back you've never felt before. This is one of the only exercises to hit only the middle back (the only other one I know of is behind the back upright rows).

Comment

Originally posted by OmegaWolf View Post
                  I don't know the name for this..it's not a common bodybuilding exercise and I've only seen in mentioned a few times in books on powerlifting..
                  Take a safety squat bar, load up a plate per side and unrack it. Now, do a standing crunch only with your upper back (keep your lower back arched). Go deep, and then shoot back up, and almost hyper extend at the top (this is why it's important to hang onto the handles of the safety squat bar, and the placement of your hands also helps contract that area). That's one rep. Do 4 sets of 10 and you'll be sore in places of your back you've never felt before. This is one of the only exercises to hit only the middle back (the only other one I know of is behind the back upright rows).
                  Seems to me like you are talking about a variation of a good morning, yes? They tend to target the erector spinae muscles of the lower back, which work isometrically to keep the spine in an extended position as well as the hamstrings and gluteus maximus, which work isotonically to perform hip extension.

Too add to what Carlito Gambino said regarding the narrow grip v-bar cable rows, try to pinch you shoulder blades together at the top of the rep and hold for a 1 count then perform a 3+ second negative and allow you back to widen and stretch at the bottom of the rep before beginning the next rep. After you reach failure try a few partial reps or lighten the load and perform something similar to biceps 21s doing the top portion of the rep for 7 reps, the bottom for 7 reps then 7 full reps. Give it try and see how you feel, I think you'll like it
                  Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                  2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                  2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                    Seems to me like you are talking about a variation of a good morning, yes? They tend to target the erector spinae muscles of the lower back, which work isometrically to keep the spine in an extended position as well as the hamstrings and gluteus maximus, which work isotonically to perform hip extension.
                    Nope. Goodmornings usually hit the lower back and glutes/hamstrings like you said. If done like I described, those muscles should not be getting worked at all. It's basically like severely rounding your upper back and then over-arching it..upper back only. Lower back shouldn't be in the movement.

Comment

Nope. Goodmornings usually hit the lower back and glutes/hamstrings like you said. If done like I described, those muscles should not be getting worked at all. It's basically like severely rounding your upper back and then over-arching it..upper back only. Lower back shouldn't be in the movement.
                      Is it sort of like what Matt's telling his trainee to do in this video?

[YOUTUBE]LBxYSAxxajc[/YOUTUBE]

(skip to around 4:20)

Comment

Gotcha! Very cool, nice to add another tool to the toolbox. Thanks for clarifying that for me (and the OP). :tea:

I can see why you wouldn't want to use a regular barbell because of the rounding at the bottom of the rep, if you slip, well, off with your head!
                        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by Carlito Gambino View Post
                          Is it sort of like what Matt's telling his trainee to do in this video?

[YOUTUBE]LBxYSAxxajc[/YOUTUBE]

(skip to around 4:20)
                          Yep, that's it. Thanks for posting that video, had no clue it was in there.

And no problem mentalflex, glad I could help out.

Comment

Don't underestimate the potential for something like inverted rows as a potential back builder. I know they're kind of looked at as the pull up/chin up's pansy little brother but if you have access to a weight vest, chains, or some other way to add weight to the movement I think it's an incredibly overlooked movement. We tend to get really wrapped up in the big weight movements when going back to some basic body weight stuff, if you have a way to progress the weight, can be great for growth and joint health.
                            Trey Potter CSCS

sigpic

Remember, if you can’t pick it, grow it, or kill it, you shouldn’t be eating it.- Justin Harris

Bodybuilding is stressful. The joy is seeing how incredibly the body adapts. The smart thing is to keep the machine as healthy as possible along the way, IMO.- Homon[/FONT]

Comment

personally, i like using a lat pulldown station with a v-bar handle. turn around backwards anl lean back so your upper back is resting on the leg support pads. pulldown to your upperr sternum. this wrecks my middle back
                              My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable. I'm unna eat your style, i'm unna eat your style's kids.

Comment

Working...
                              X