New guy to DC, and new to the forum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy to DC, and new to the forum.

Some may know me from ProMuscle but I lurk this forum also.

I am going to give DC training a solid run for its money (lovely that its free ehh )

I have been trained by Phil (used his training for the last year and half now) but think I am running into recovery problems now. Unfortunately my 1 year contract with him has ran up and I am a poboy college student so I can't afford to renew it and have him tweak it.

I have liked what I have read about DC, it seems to have some similarities to what I have already been doing (basically hitting failure through 3 sets with 1 exercise per bodypart being the big "grower")

I am not just some puddle hopper so don't think this will be just a trial run of 4 weeks. I am going to put my 100% into this for a solid 6 months, if I like what I see I will continue it out till I begin to run into conflicts.

Here is a pic of me in my before Phil state:
    May 2010 198lbs
    http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img...2OHR11v358.jpg

Here I am a year and 3 months later:
    August 2011 215lbs
    http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6613180_n.jpg
    http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5349105_n.jpg

Also I am a bit tired of being "weak/puney" when it comes to my chest pressing movements and really looking forward to everything I read about DC packing on some great strength

I can hardly decline 275x4 right now so would love to see some improvements in the strength department...

The DC routine I am looking at right now is this one:

monday=chest, shoulders, triceps, back width, back thickness
    wednesday=biceps, forearms, calves, hamstrings, quads
    friday-repeat of mondays bodyparts
    monday-repeat of wenesdays bodyparts

Unless someone thinks I should do the 4day/week program I think this will match me up best.

Highly doubt it matters but current stats are:
    5 foot 10.5" tall
    218lbs around 10% bf
    46 1/2" chest
    17 almost 17 1/4" arm
    26" thigh
    16" calve
    33.5" turtle gut due to so much food (not fat, I am not on any shakes right now so it keeps the gut huge..)

Proposed Routine is:

Blast
    Week 1 Mon A1 Wed B1 Fri A2
    Week 2 Mon B2 Wed A3 Fri B3
    Week 3 Repeat Week 1
    Week 4 Repeat Week 2
    Week 5 Repeat Week 1
    Week 6 Repeat Week 2
    Week 7 Repeat Week 1
    Week 8 Repeat Week 2
    Week 9 Repeat Week 1
    Week 10 Repeat Week 2
    Week 11 Repeat Week 1
    Week 12 Repeat Week 2
    Week 13 Repeat Week 1
    Week 14 Repeat Week 2
    Week 15 Repeat Week 1
    Week 16 Repeat Week 2

Cruise for 2 weeks then repeat

Rep Ranges will be:
    Chest 11-15 rest pause
    Shoulders 11-20 rest pause
    Triceps 11-20 rest pause
    Back Width 11-15 rest pause
    Back Thickness (6-9 reps) then (9-12 reps)

Biceps 11-20 rest pause
    Forearms 10-20 reps
    Calves 10-12 reps
    Hamstrings 15-30 rest pause
    Quads (6-10 reps) then (20 rep widomaker)

A1 Chest (Decline BB Bench)
    Shoulders (DB Military Press)
    Triceps (Close Grip Pin Press)
    Back Width (Close Grip Pull Ups Weighted)
    Back Thickness (Rack Deadlifts)

A2 Chest (Incline DB Press)
    Shoulders (Upright Rows)
    Triceps (Weighted Dips)
    Back Width (Lat Pull)
    Back Thickness (Tbar Row)

A3 Chest (Hammer Strength Bench)
    Shoulders (Behind Head Smith Press)
    Triceps (Reverse Grip Smith Bench Press)
    Back Width (Widest Grip Pull Ups)
    Back Thickness (Deadlifts)

B1 Biceps (Preacher BB Curl)
    Forearms (Pinwheel Curls)
    Calves (Seated Calves)
    Hamstrings (Seated Leg Curl)
    Quads (Squats)

B2 Biceps (Dumbbell Curls)
    Forearms (Reverse Grip Cable Curls)
    Calves (Leg Press Calve Raise)
    Hamstrings (Sumo Leg Press)
    Quads (Machine Squat/Hack Squat)

B3 Biceps (Drag Curls)
    Forearms (Hammer Curls)
    Calves (Hack Squat Calve Raise)
    Hamstrings (Lying Leg Curl)
    Quads (Leg Press)
    Last edited by bmcjames; 08-27-2011, 06:03 PM.

Comment

You made great progress with Phil in a year! I like his take on training and exercise selecton as well as some other ideas he has such as using fruit as a primary carb source.

Welcome to DC. Almost everbody starts with the two way split as you outlined. Put up a proposed blast for us to see...

Comment

Welcome aboard and congrats on the progress! Solid and noticeable for sure. I think you'll do very well with DC.
        Max Muscle
        5020 Katella Ave.
        Los Alamitos, CA 90720
        www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Updated with proposed routine.

Please let me know if something is amiss

Comment

Looks like you did your homework with the DC routine, nice to see! The only thing I'd suggest to watch is you may find limitations on your A3 the db laterals early on as it's a tough exercise to increase weight on. But give it a shot, just be prepared to swap it out for another exercise if you stall out.
            -KidRok-
            "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
            5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

I wanted to keep a few things "Phil" still in there.

With Phil's training there was NEVER any direct SHOULDER work except for the DB Lateral. I get compliments all the time about my Delt's and like I said I never do anything other than the DB lateral. He had specifically said no overhead pressing.

So I figured I would allow 2/3 of DC training for my shoulders and keep that 1/3 of what has given me some big delts in there just incase there maybe merit to both?

If you don't agree with this feel free to let me know.

I try to not be the general newb who wants a free handout hahah

Been doing the weight lifting thing for a bit of time now (since 06), just never realized how important rest was and that it was the reason I was never growing for my first 4 years of training

It seems I am always the guy preaching rest now to everyone. I don't know why it has taken me so long to decide to incorporate a bit more of it myself...

Comment

Originally posted by bmcjames View Post

With Phil's training there was NEVER any direct SHOULDER work except for the DB Lateral. I get compliments all the time about my Delt's and like I said I never do anything other than the DB lateral. He had specifically said no overhead pressing.

So I figured I would allow 2/3 of DC training for my shoulders and keep that 1/3 of what has given me some big delts in there just incase there maybe merit to both?

If you don't agree with this feel free to let me know.......
                Nope, not disagreeing. I've used them myself on occasion in there, and I do like them, it's just an exercise with lower limits than pressing would have. You may find that you don't progress through an entire blast with them, that's all. Have at it!
                -KidRok-
                "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Ohh and for those of you who don't know the type of heart and dedication I have for the things I do....

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1685847_n.jpg

Comment

If you don't agree with this feel free to let me know.
                    There is a reason Dante has things laid out the way he does. If another way were better at putting on massive size in as short a time as possible, that's what he would have you do. If you change things you're just screwing yourself and sabotaging your own progress. Follow the plan the way it's written TO THE LETTER and you won't regret it.
                    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                    kind of a douche

Comment

Is there a safer alternative to upright rows?
                      All I hear are shoulder issues with that exercise, that's something I would rather avoid.

I'll do em, just prefer keeping healthy joints also

I'll do this
                      I will run them in place of what I had above (lateral's) until I run into a problem

If I don't get any problems with shoulder, then hell yeah I am all for making as much progress as possible.

A little knocking on my skull is not something I do not welcome. I need to hear these things from time to time, to help get my head out my arse.
                      Last edited by bmcjames; 08-25-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Is there a safer alternative to upright rows?
                        All I hear are shoulder issues with that exercise, that's something I would rather avoid.

I'll do em, just prefer keeping healthy joints also

I'll do this
                        I will run them in place of what I had above (lateral's) until I run into a problem

If I don't get any problems with shoulder, then hell yeah I am all for making as much progress as possible.

A little knocking on my skull is not something I do not welcome. I need to hear these things from time to time, to help get my head out my arse.
                        If you want a compound movement that hits lateral delts well (to replace upright rows) try smith shoulder presses behind the head BUT ONLY GO DOWN TO THE BACK OF YOUR SKULL. Like go down to where the little "bump" is, which is a bit higher than eye level. You'll know if you have the flexibility for this the first time you do them. It also helps to use a wide(r) grip on these.
                        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                        kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                          If you want a compound movement that hits lateral delts well (to replace upright rows) try smith shoulder presses behind the head BUT ONLY GO DOWN TO THE BACK OF YOUR SKULL. Like go down to where the little "bump" is, which is a bit higher than eye level. You'll know if you have the flexibility for this the first time you do them. It also helps to use a wide(r) grip on these.
                          Welcome to the boards. You're gonna enjoy it here.

I am going to second Sammich on this. I was a little nervous to use these but since since I started my overall delt development has increased significantly, compared to the progress I've made in the past.

One other thing you might want to consider since you said you want to bring up your chest is to drop the EZ Bar triceps extensions and add in another compound movement for tris. Possibly decline (or even incline) close grip bench, smith flat/decline/incline close grip bench, close grip lockouts or board presses...I'm aiming at a triceps exercise that will also help with your pressing movements.
                          Last edited by mentalflex; 08-25-2011, 05:14 PM.
                          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I use a semi close hand grip for all my chest pressing movements already

My grip is
                            Thumb tip from the smooth part of the bar. It has my hands just barely wider than my shoulder width. My pinky is probably 2" or so away from the ring.

I'll probably change out the extensions with some low incline pin presses instead then
                            Last edited by bmcjames; 08-25-2011, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Ohh and for those of you who don't know the type of heart and dedication I have for the things I do....

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1685847_n.jpg
                              nice progress/transformation!
                              Use My Discount Code " KNO119 " To Get 5% Off Your Next Order At True Protein!

Comment

Working...
                              X