X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very interesting...maybe we have been looking at this too importantly..HDL

http://public.nhlbi.nih.gov/newsroom...e.aspx?id=2792
    @dante_trudel

Researchers are rethinking some of their theories about cholesterol after a new study suggests that raising so-called "good" cholesterol may not provide the health benefits researchers had hoped.

The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute stopped the study 18 months early after if found that adding a high-dose, extended-release niacin to statin treatment does not reduce the risk of cardiovascular events for people who have heart and vascular disease, compared to those who just receive the statin. And in the study, the risk of stroke was actually elevated slightly.

No one questions that lowering the "bad" LDL cholesterol is the heart-healthy thing to do. But it has become common practice to prescribe statins to lower bad cholesterol, while also using the vitamin niacin to raise good cholesterol.

The benefits of HDL "good" cholesterol have been inferred from long-term studies like the Framingham Heart Study, which found that among subjects with the same LDL levels, those with more high-density lipoproteins — hence the name HDL — live longer and do not have as much heart disease as those with less HDL.

Such findings led to the widely held belief that if you could raise HDL levels, it would be good in terms of curbing heart disease effects.

Government researchers announced Thursday that Niaspan, an extended release form of niacin made by Abbott Laboratories, did not provide any protection against heart attacks when taken with Merck & Co.'s simvastatin (marketed as Zocor) in patients with heart disease.

It's not the first bump in the road in figuring out what needs to happen with HDL to improve heart outcomes. Five years ago, Pfizer stopped working on a drug to raise good cholesterol levels after studies showed the medicine increased risks of death. And last summer research published in Lancet indicated that as long as LDL levels were low, it didn't seem to matter that HDL was somewhat low, as well.

The lead researchers on the new study, from the University of Buffalo, said they were "stunned" by what they found.

Here's what's confusing to pretty much everybody: The combination of the two drugs did, in fact, create higher levels of HDL and lower triglyceride levels, which is exactly that the drug was supposed to do in order to have positive effects. But instead of those positives, the "AIM-HIGH" study found those patients actually may have done a bit worse than those who only took the statin.

The lone ray of sunshine in this new research, pointed out by New York Times writer Gardiner Harris, is that "niacin is hard to take because it can cause flushing and headaches. Doctors have for years wheedled patients into tolerating these side effects in hopes that the medicine would save lives. Now they will not have to."

But Abbott Laboratories, which reportedly last year had $927 million in sales of Niaspan, isn't giving up. Dr. Eugene Sun, a company vice president, issued a statement that said, "Based on its long history of clinical evidence, Niaspan remains an important agent for patients with" cholesterol issues.

Other companies have been trying, as well, to develop HDL-raising medications. What effect the findings will have on them is unclear.

For the study, 3,414 participants with heart and vascular disease were given the statin and a placebo or the statin and Niaspan and tracked for 32 months. The study was cut short because the institute concluded there was really no chance they were going to find a benefit to taking the niacin. The statin did keep bad cholesterol levels low and provide a benefit.

The researchers said patients should talk to their doctors before discontinuing their use of the Niaspan.

It's not the first time that the health benefits of raising HDL cholesterol was questioned. Back in 2004, researchers were questioning "whether high levels of the good cholesterol are always good and, when they are beneficial, how much." Dr. Steven Nissen, cardiologist at Cleveland Clinic, at the time said. "There is so much confusion about this that it is unbelievable."

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a release Thursday on the new study. "At this time, FDA has made no new conclusions or recommendations regarding the use of extended-release niacin alone or in combination with simvastatin or other statins. The agency will conduct a comprehensive review of the AIM-HIGH trial data as soon as they become available to determine their impact on the approved indications for extended-release niacin."
    @dante_trudel

Comment

For anyone in here who has high LDL......do this very simple task over a few months......put two large spoonfulls of EVOO in a protein shake a day every day and come in here and tell me how many points it has dropped from your last blood work.....(it will alot)
      @dante_trudel

Comment

Good post! Printing this for our clinic.
        International Elite Raw Powerlifter
        Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

For a "slightly" different take on that study...

http://hsionline.com/2011/06/06/new-niacin-flush/
          ...playing Bingo at the Senior Center :shocked:

Comment

Anyone interested in having a good cholesterol test done, I would suggest the LipoProtein Particle profile through www.spectracell.com I had the nutrient and LPP test done a few months ago. You can go to their website and get more info. But if you are concerned about cholesterol, this is the test to have done.
            Its not the size of the hammer, its the size of the man holding the hammer.

Comment

wow. Thank you Dante that's some very good info.
              life is a battle at every front, training is a war I fight to win- Lee priest (I think)

Nothing great comes without sacrifice- Oscar Ardon

True Protein get the best supplements WWW.trueprotein.com
              want a discount? enter code:WAN585 for 5% to 10% off

Comment

Originally posted by Doggcrapp View Post
                For anyone in here who has high LDL......do this very simple task over a few months......put two large spoonfulls of EVOO in a protein shake a day every day and come in here and tell me how many points it has dropped from your last blood work.....(it will alot)
                Thank you Dante, I've been looking for another practical way to lower my LDL; will incorporate this and share my numbers in a couple of months. Currently they are:

CHOLESTEROL: 287
                HDL: 46
                LDL: 175
                TRIGLYCERIDE: 329

Not the worst, but it can definitely use some work.

Comment

http://www.westonaprice.org/cardiovascular-disease

Rather work through all the listed topics of this link (points 2,6,7,9,10 especially)

It will be a struggle to find better info on the subject of heart disease and cholesterol...

Comment

I know you research the crap out of this stuff, Dante .... I've seen studies where EVOO increases HDL, but can you point me to studies where it lowered LDL? Several that I looked at showed slight increases in LDL while altering the HDL/LDL ratio favorably. Thanks!

Lee

Comment

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&ta...w=1523&bih=701

more importantly....I honestly can say Ive probably seen 75 to 100 guys bloodwork over the years....I use supplements to fix bloodwork....thats what i like to do....Ive seen many guys with higher LDL drop it by 20-30 points with the Olive Oil addition.
                      @dante_trudel

Comment

I had good results with Niaspan, my total cholesterol went from 275 to 199 and I didn't change anything in my diet. I know I had to work my way up to 2000mgs a day. Im not sure how much they used in the study.

2003 mid Illinois 2nd mw
                        2005 caveman classic 2nd mw
                        2006 caveman classic LH and overall winner
                        2007 jr nationals dnp
                        2008 jr USA 7th LH
                        2009 gnc Indiana HW 1st
                        2009 jr nationals 11th HW
                        2010 jr USA HW 1st

Comment

OK here is the verdict with my Extra Virgin Olive Oil / EVOO experiment.

Sept 6, 2013 my Doc got on my about my cholesterol. The numbers were:
                          Total: 217
                          HDL: 63
                          LDL: 139
                          triglycerides: 77

I did not change anything in my diet or exercise routine. But I did drink 2 tablespoons of EVOO daily from Sept 6 until Dec. 23, 2013 (3.5 months) and the numbers are:
                          Total: 211
                          HDL: 61
                          LDL: 133
                          triglycerides: 86

The results were not as dramatic as I had hoped...meh, maybe a push. I will probably drop the EVOO as a daily "supplement" as it tastes horrible. But, I certainly won't refrain from using it with foods, etc.
                          Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

For the record, i switched to regular olive oil instead of EVOO..The taste is much better and i ASSUME the benefits are the same. Maybe Dante will tell us if regular OO has the same benefits as EVOO.

Also one thing that helped my lipids was bumping up my fish oil a couple thousand MG's.

Comment

I remember you writing this to someone on pro muscle I think, and I started doing that at bedtime.....my LDL was not terrible but I figured that it couldn't hurt, and it did drop at the next bloodwork. Right now I'm without insurance so bloodwork is sporadic but I'm curious to see where it's at....
                              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Working...
                              X