high reps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high reps

do you thing i can always progress with my first rest paus at 15 reps ? i will try that because of my bad shoulders arthritis.
    so i up the reps and lower the weight

It depends on a number of factors:

1 - How long have you been training?

2 - How long have you been using the DC principles?

3 - What exercise are you using this protocol on? How long has this exercise been in your rotation? What kind of progress have you made on it already?

4 - Are your nutritional habits appropriate to support continued growth?

5 - Are you able to train with enough intensity to force your body to adapt to the new level of stress?

Those are just a few of the questions that would need to be answered before we had enough information to help you out better.

And even if we had all the information in the world, you would still need to TRY IT OUT FOR SEVERAL WEEKS to see if you are progressing in your chosen rep range (15-25RP for example). That is the most important step of all. If your numbers are going up every time the exercise comes back around, keep it in your rotation, if not you will need to figure something else out.
    Last edited by Lonnie123; 07-20-2011, 10:03 PM. Reason: typo fix

Comment

You sure can be successful. Check out the "for guys over 34" thread.
      Dante makes an excellent point in there, and also in other posts where he states guys worry to much about the number of reps.

If during today's workout you hit 275 for 15 reps on you first set and in a year you hit 325 for 15 reps how can you not be bigger?

I'm 47 years old and find the same thing. For most of my exercises I try to hit between 10 and 12 reps on the first set, but for shoulders I try to hit between 12-15 reps.

I don't shoot for a total rep range for an exercise, I shoot for a target on that first set. The total just is what it is. I do total all three sets together to track my progression though.
      It's difficult to work out too hard, it's easy to work out too long.............

Comment

i'm 42 year's old, training since 16 years old and winn some swiss championship.
        my shoulder hurt but i want to find a training with i could train hard and maybe make some progress.

Comment

Wouldn't doing higher reps/lighter weight be the same difference as lower reps/heavier weight with regards to folks with currently existing injuries?

Theoretically speaking, I would think it would have the same effect - just take a diff. amount of time to achieve.
          [YOUTUBE]obdd31Q9PqA[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Originally posted by troublehard View Post
            Wouldn't doing higher reps/lighter weight be the same difference as lower reps/heavier weight with regards to folks with currently existing injuries?

Theoretically speaking, I would think it would have the same effect - just take a diff. amount of time to achieve.

As you get older it will also be easier to keep progressing, at least for me.
            I started as a powerlifter and when I switched to bodybuilding it was a different type of strength. It used to seem 3 reps was a high rep set.

But, for me at least, if I hit higher reps on the first set it is easier to keep squeezing out an extra rep to keep the exercise progressing.

Something along the lines of 12-6-3 is easier to progress on than 9-4-1. As long as you don't start hitting the reps too high on that first set the weight should be heavy enough to get the desired training affect.

Now if you were doing something along the lines of 30-13-8 you would be getting away from hypertrophy and more into an interval type endurance training.

I'm not basing this on any scientific study or research, just what on works for me over the last 33 years of pumping iron.
            It's difficult to work out too hard, it's easy to work out too long.............

Comment

Why do people look bigger after higher reps? Is it a different process of hypertrophy?

Comment

Originally posted by raikkonen View Post
                Why do people look bigger after higher reps? Is it a different process of hypertrophy?
                Blood flow?
                [YOUTUBE]obdd31Q9PqA[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

You may find that there is another form of training that works better for you. John Meadows had an article not too long ago where he had some interesting ideas for shoulder training. He had pretty bad pain in the joint and came up with a training strategy to work around it.

Or you could stick to DC for a while, but do some lighter weight with straight rep approach without going to failure. When I say lighter weight that doesn't mean going balls out on that high rep set. Infact, I'd stay away from failure, at least for a while. In my experience this will only make things worse . That may mean 5x5 with a weight you can do 10 reps on. As long as you keep increasing the weight or reps you are progressing, but this may not address the core issue.

Another option, and one that I think too few look into, is to see if you have any imbalances that may make things worse. If you haven't addressed this you may want to go through a stability/stabilization phase of training to address these issues. It's boring, it's tedious, and you'll feel wimping with the light weights, but the benefits are incredible in the long run.

Finally, I would try Dante's Shoulder Solution. Doing this and working rear delts more seemed to help me a ton.

I've done all of these ideas at some point and greatly reduced my shoulder pain. My lifts improved quite a bit with minimal pain instead of just "plugging along" and making things worse.

Only you and your doctor know yours situation, but some of these ideas may help.
                  Last edited by Doberman; 07-22-2011, 04:52 PM.
                  1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                  2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                  2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                  2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                  2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                  2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                  Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                    You may find that there is another form of training that works better for you. John Meadows had an article not too long ago where he had some interesting ideas for shoulder training. He had pretty bad pain in the joint and came up with a training strategy to work around it.

Or you could stick to DC for a while, but do some lighter weight with straight rep approach without going to failure. When I say lighter weight that doesn't mean going balls out on that high rep set. Infact, I'd stay away from failure, at least for a while. In my experience this will only make things worse . That may mean 5x5 with a weight you can do 10 reps on. As long as you keep increasing the weight or reps you are progressing, but this may not address the core issue.

Another option, and one that I think too few look into, is to see if you have any imbalances that may make things worse. If you haven't addressed this you may want to go through a stability/stabilization phase of training to address these issues. It's boring, it's tedious, and you'll feel wimping with the light weights, but the benefits are incredible in the long run.

Finally, I would try Dante's Shoulder Solution. Doing this and working rear delts more seemed to help me a ton.

I've done all of these ideas at some point and greatly reduced my shoulder pain. My lifts improved quite a bit with minimal pain instead of just "plugging along" and making things worse.

Only you and your doctor know yours situation, but some of these ideas may help.
                    Do you still have the link to that?
                    Use discount code "SNM815" at checkout to receive 5% off of your ENTIRE order! Which Means 10% off any 15+ lbs of Protien or 16+ Flavour Packs you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by neme View Post
                      Do you still have the link to that?
                      I am pretty sure it was on T-nation if that might help you find it.
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

Yep, that was the one.

Truenutrition.com
                        Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Dante's Shoulder Solution has definitely helped my shoulders. In the past I've gone to my ortho and been diagnosed with tendonitis in both shoulders and then had to go to PT. Since starting Dante's Shoulder Solution, my shoulders rarely, if ever hurt.

Comment

Dante's shoulder solution...http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....ulder+solution

Truenutrition.com
                            Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

John's Article http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...untain_dog_way

Truenutrition.com
                              Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Working...
                              X