Am I strong enough to give this a go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I strong enough to give this a go

Been training on and off for 8 years. I used to be about 220 at my biggest. I have been dabbling with boxing the last couple of years and I ended up cutting a shitload of weight. I have gained 10 pounds back so that puts me at 180.

I am kinda weak right now

My 1RM's as of now are as follows

BB flat bench 210

Squat 325+

DL 310

BB shoulder press 150+

I have tried a similar low vol program in the past and made some decent gains. It was almost the same set up as DC except it was two straight sets with partials at the end of the second set. I think I could gain with the real deal.

What do you guys think?

Believe by your join date you should already know the answer.
    Use code MWR170 to save money on your order at TrueProtein.com.

Comment

Not even close.
      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
      kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Lifer View Post
        Believe by your join date you should already know the answer.
        Never actually tried the program. I was just browsing. I took the last couple of years off of BBing specific training to focus more on sport related training. Two years ago I gave up weights altogether for one year at the request of a coach. I have been hitting a 5x5 program for the last couple of months and gained back ten pounds.

If I am not strong enough I will just go back to 5x5 for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Durk View Post
          Never actually tried the program. I was just browsing. I took the last couple of years off of BBing specific training to focus more on sport related training. Two years ago I gave up weights altogether for one year at the request of a coach. I have been hitting a 5x5 program for the last couple of months and gained back ten pounds.

If I am not strong enough I will just go back to 5x5 for a while.
          Use the 5x5 untill it doesn't work anymore...than try it some more. Here is the thing about the "strong enough" question. It really is relative. It is more than a pure strength measurement, it is about body awareness (specifically to weight training). You should try to exhaust more traditional BBing routines first. By traditional I do not mean the latest fad, but tried and true stuff. DC works best after you have solid background in other routines.:sammich:
          2008 WABDL World Bench Press Champioships, 2nd place 275lb submaster division state record bench press
          2001 WABDL World Record Breaker Bench Press Championships 1st place 275lb class
          2000 USPF Regional Championships 1st place 275lb division
          1999 USPF NorthWest Reigional Championships 1st place, 275lb division
          1998 USAPL State Championships 1st place 275lb division
          1997 AAU State Championships 1st place 275lb division
          1997 USPF State Championships 1st place 275lb division
          + more

Comment

Originally posted by LearningDC View Post
            Use the 5x5 untill it doesn't work anymore...than try it some more. Here is the thing about the "strong enough" question. It really is relative. It is more than a pure strength measurement, it is about body awareness (specifically to weight training). You should try to exhaust more traditional BBing routines first. By traditional I do not mean the latest fad, but tried and true stuff. DC works best after you have solid background in other routines.:sammich:
            Totally agree (and not just because he used my smilie, but it helps). It's not really about raw strength, but about experience. It sounds cliche, but you need to really know your own body to do it right.
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

What routines do you guys recommend for those not ready for DC?

Comment

look in the journals lots of guys doing wendlers 5/3/1 or some 5x5 varation. there are some good looking routines at IA'S, liftin heavies powerbuilding stickie looks good in the powerlifting forum of this site. just find one that makes sense to you and wear it out for a year,
                Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                -John Ceasar

Comment

Durk at those lifts, any of the aforementioned programs will work... 5x5, 5/3/1, etc.

I'd personally go with something like that (easy to follow and takes a lot of the thinking out of the equation) or work around something that is medium volume with a focus on the squat, bench, deadlift, military press, chin/pull-ups and row variations. I'd squat, bench and deadlift 1x a week in the 3-5 rep range and just practice getting better at those lifts with a focus on progressive overload from week to week.

Also -- you can OHP 150+ and only flat bench 210? Those numbers seem off to me.

Anyway, this is nothing you haven't heard before.
                  Last edited by grit; 07-25-2011, 03:45 PM.
                  True Protein Discount Code: AWC155

Comment

Working...
                  X