Poor recovery...s/s vs r/p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor recovery...s/s vs r/p

I thought I remembered reading a post from DC himself on this very issue, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I am curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on changing any of the r/p sets to 2 s/s, similar to back thickness.

Thanks in advance

I had good results from doing 2 straight sets per body part. I did one "heavy" set of 6-10 reps, then one "light" set of 12-10 reps. It worked well for me, but not NEARLY as well as when I was able to do a rest-paused blast.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

Sammich & Vets, correct me if I am wrong, but he could also do only 1 "mini-set" instead of 2 for the RP. Meaning : let's say you got 8 reps on your 1st mini-set, pause 15 breaths, then one more mini-set and stop!).

I remember reading in one thread that Dante put it in this order of preference :
      1- 2 RP set
      2- 1 RP set
      3- 2 s/s

Chime in if I am mistaken.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm only asking because my first few blasts I was about to get to about the 7 week mark before I started to feel beat down, so I would push one more week and then cruise. Mind you they were all in a caloric surplus. This time around, I am running an 8 week cut and I'm about 4 weeks into the blast and already starting to feel beat up. I know in most cases people can push until just a few weeks before a show with no problem, but I am really struggling, and if possible, I would prefer to stay on the 2-way as I know I am not advanced enough for the 3-way.

I'm just curious if there are any "approved" mods I can make to be able to go 6-8 weeks while still maintaining strength or even making very small gains.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
          I had good results from doing 2 straight sets per body part. I did one "heavy" set of 6-10 reps, then one "light" set of 12-10 reps. It worked well for me, but not NEARLY as well as when I was able to do a rest-paused blast.
          I personally recover like pewp so I tend to use this^^^^^ It seemed I could barely make 4 weeks of blast before I was done but with this scheme I get 8 weeks or more before I am beat.

Comment

Originally posted by jcross485 View Post
            Thanks guys. I'm only asking because my first few blasts I was about to get to about the 7 week mark before I started to feel beat down, so I would push one more week and then cruise. Mind you they were all in a caloric surplus. This time around, I am running an 8 week cut and I'm about 4 weeks into the blast and already starting to feel beat up. I know in most cases people can push until just a few weeks before a show with no problem, but I am really struggling, and if possible, I would prefer to stay on the 2-way as I know I am not advanced enough for the 3-way.

I'm just curious if there are any "approved" mods I can make to be able to go 6-8 weeks while still maintaining strength or even making very small gains.

Jcross,

How much cardio were doing doing when bulking up and how much now?...

What's you're job look like in terms of physical activity?...

Do you train before or after work?... (What time of day?)

How is your sleep?...

Has your diet been spot on?... (No missed meals, etc., aside from the actual food eaten...)

-S
            The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
            2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
            2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Well, if I'm reading between the lines, there's obviously more that goes into it haha. Well, here are the honest responses to your questions...

Cardio while bulking was 20 mins post-workout (step-mill on upper days, treadmill on lower/bi days). Now I am doing 30 mins post-workout (same machines) and 30 mins fasted on off days (outdoor walk) w/ Sundays off.

I've worked for Travelers as an auto claims adjuster for a few years now so I am in an office sitting at a desk...this has not changed.

I train before work. I work 12-9p so on days I train, I am up at 6, train at 8. On cardio days I get up around the same time and grab the dog and go for a 30-35 min walk.

Sleep is pretty consistent at 7 hours a night...both while bulking and dieting. I try to keep myself on a pretty regular schedule. On days I'm off of work, sometimes I can sneak in an hour nap at some point as well.

While bulking, I would allow myself 1-2 meals a week to be loose and go out w/ the girlfriend or my roommates and eat pretty much whatever I wanted (generally pizza/wings as I am from Buffalo), but I would not ever miss a meal...in fact sometimes I would have an extra one here or there. While dieting, my diet is spot on...no missed meals, no cheats, everything eaten as scheduled (I'm carb cycling so I do have higher and lower days).

Thanks so much for taking the time to help. I have not posted here much...just have tried to read and learn...then read and learn some more and really teach myself instead of being spoonfed. I really appreciate the help though!

Comment

How is your PWO nutrition? I noticed you do cardio PWO... If nutrition is there, may not be a big deal.. If you're having trouble with recovery - I would probably move that to a different time.

Just my opinion.
                Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                www.316fit.com
                Email: [email protected]

Comment

Thanksa fade...much appreciated!

With regards to nutrition, while I was bulking, I would have 3 scoops TP BCAA Plus, 5g Beta Alanine, 50g WMS...I would start drinking this about 10 mins pre-workout and finish it right at the end of my workout, before I started cardio. I would then eat my next meal as soon as I got home as I live about a mile from my gym. Now, I am doing 3 scoops TP BCAA Plus and 5g Beta Alanine the same was as before, and then an additional 10g BCAA during cardio after workouts, and 10g BCAA while I do my fasted cardio. As soon as I get home, I eat my next meal. So I guess in summing up, the differences I've made are taking out WMS but adding in 10g BCAA during all cardio.

Comment

I think the carbs that you had in there are a pretty big necessity. What does your meal look like after you train?

www.316fit.com

Comment

During my bulk, it was 75p/100c/25f pwo. Overall macros were 400p/350c/125f on training days, 400p/250c/125f off days. I actually grew fairly well while not putting on ridiculous amounts of fat.

Now it is 65p/100c/15f on high and mod days pwo. Overall diet is 5 meals a day evenly spaced, 325p/325c/75f on high days, 325p/225c/75f on mod days, and 325p/125c/75f on low days. I have my high carb day on upper workout days, mod carb day on lower/bis days, and low carb day on cardio only/off days. The reason I have my high carb days on upper is because my upper lags behind my legs and I seem to be able to hold strength better on my legs than my upper when I diet, and I also gain strength faster in my legs. I figured that the extra carbs/calories on upper days might help, even if its slightly.

Comment

I don't see a problem with what you're eating after your workout. Or even your diet in general.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Thanks. I am far from where I want to be at this point, but I wanted to take just one blast to shed a little fat and keep myself looking respectable. I am a full blown ecto...started at 5'10", 140lbs. Now about 5 years later I am around 210 at about 12% or so, but wanna shed a few percent before trying to hit 220-225.

As far as lifts, I have PRs or 335 bench, 605 dead, 485 squat. My core is pretty strong as I played tennis all through college on a scholarship, and I used to do a lot of core training for that. I have pretty long legs and ream long arms for my height so I am working on getting the other numbers up a bit.

But with all that said, I am FARRRRR from my goal. I just try to read as much as possible and soak it all up here as this is the best board I have been to.

Comment

Any other input or advice from those w/ experience, or any other general feedback on finding a way around decreased recovery while dieting?

Comment

Originally posted by jcross485 View Post
                              Any other input or advice from those w/ experience, or any other general feedback on finding a way around decreased recovery while dieting?
                              it's expected
                              True Protein Discount Code: AWC155

Comment

Working...
                              X