• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little motivation...

I love this video and mindset.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUEl5NKjF5c[/youtube]
    TRUE PROTEIN SPONSORED ATHLETE

Proud to be an IForce Nutrition Sponsored Athlete

Become a Fan on facebook to follow my progress http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/dustyhanshaw?ref=ts

www.dustyhanshaw.com

great video. you don't train to come in second
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

No disrespect to Dusty, and I do like the video, but I tend to disagree with the logic. I think if you focus on the result (1st place) and not the action needed to get there (preparation/effort/execution) you will be fooled by your result. You can finish first sometimes with poor effort and preparation and finish second or worse with great effort and preparation. I believe you should judge your success/failure on your effort & preparation instead of the end result.
      Last edited by Knickerbocker24; 06-04-2011, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Very cool.

This weekend, my 8 year old daughter was playing in a soccer game. On her team, whenever someone scores, they have a seat on the sidelines (dont get me started on this). The game is tied 3 all (my daughter had two goals). She looks at me and says," Hey Daddy, the game is tied...I really hope that I can get in before the game ends." A boy on her team heard her and said," It isn't important if you win or lose, it is how much fun you have." His Dad beemed proudly at his comment. Without missing a beat, my daughter replied," Ya..well I dont have any fun losing." That is when I beemed...definately my little girl.
        2008 WABDL World Bench Press Champioships, 2nd place 275lb submaster division state record bench press
        2001 WABDL World Record Breaker Bench Press Championships 1st place 275lb class
        2000 USPF Regional Championships 1st place 275lb division
        1999 USPF NorthWest Reigional Championships 1st place, 275lb division
        1998 USAPL State Championships 1st place 275lb division
        1997 AAU State Championships 1st place 275lb division
        1997 USPF State Championships 1st place 275lb division
        + more

Comment

Originally posted by Knickerbocker24 View Post
          No disrespect to Dusty, and I do like the video, but I tend to disagree with the logic. I think if you focus on the result (1st place) and not the action needed to get there (preparation/effort/execution) you will be fooled by your result. You can finish first sometimes with poor effort and preparation and finish second or worse with great effort and preparation. I believe you should judge your success/failure on your effort & preparation instead of the end result.
          None taken and I actually agree 110% with what you are saying. I always say train for the win! Refuse to lose...but you can be beaten. In other words if you give 110% you cannot "lose" you can only be "beaten." I have no issue with someone coming out on top that is not me but I refuse to be outworked which means that I must train and suffer with the victory in my mind. When you compete you give 100% all of the time and the chips fall where they will, but typically if you give it everything you have eventually you get the victory too.

I am sponsored by a clothing company called FNO or Failure's No Option. Their motto is 100% all of the time and it was an honor to be chocen as an athlete because they see that their motto is my way of living.
          TRUE PROTEIN SPONSORED ATHLETE

Proud to be an IForce Nutrition Sponsored Athlete

Become a Fan on facebook to follow my progress http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/dustyhanshaw?ref=ts

www.dustyhanshaw.com

Comment

i wish the song kept going, and played out... that would be an awesome mp3 to play at the beginning of ever workout.

Comment

Originally posted by dusty hanshaw View Post
              When you compete you give 100% all of the time and the chips fall where they will, but typically if you give it everything you have eventually you get the victory too.
              Well put, that to me is the essence of focusing on the means and not the ends...it actually increases your odds of achieving the thing you want!

Comment

Originally posted by dusty hanshaw View Post
                In other words if you give 110% you cannot "lose" you can only be "beaten." I have no issue with someone coming out on top that is not me but I refuse to be outworked which means that I must train and suffer with the victory in my mind.
                So true!

If you put the work in and fall just a little short, but you know that you really put every effort forth to achieve your goal, then there is no shame in that. To lose is to give up when you suffer a shortfall, but if you pick your ass up and get on your journey with true conviction, you will have added another layer to your strength and it will make the taste of achieving victory that much sweeter.
                Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Train like you have mental problems.

Comment

Originally posted by LearningDC View Post
                    Very cool.

This weekend, my 8 year old daughter was playing in a soccer game. On her team, whenever someone scores, they have a seat on the sidelines (dont get me started on this). The game is tied 3 all (my daughter had two goals). She looks at me and says," Hey Daddy, the game is tied...I really hope that I can get in before the game ends." A boy on her team heard her and said," It isn't important if you win or lose, it is how much fun you have." His Dad beemed proudly at his comment. Without missing a beat, my daughter replied," Ya..well I dont have any fun losing." That is when I beemed...definately my little girl.
                    This made my day. Thank you. Great thread.

Comment

Top thread, ;loved the Vid and loved LearningDC's daughter.

I was once told: A man who beats another is strong but a man who beats himself is stronger.

This sums things up for me.

But I told my brother in law this and he said I was wrong "A man who beats another is strongest because a man who beats himself is just sitting around masturbating."

People look at the same stuff differently.

SAHD
                      "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                      Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                      'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                      ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by LearningDC View Post
                        Very cool.

That girl of yours is going places.
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Comment

Originally posted by Knickerbocker24 View Post
                          I strongly agree with this. This past season I did very well at my shows. Took overall the the first one and 3 firsts in my class. I KNEW I could have been better so even though I won I felt it was almost undeserved. I did put forth 110% effort but suffered much less than my previous shows as I prepped smarter not harder. My previous shows I suffered a lot more and that almost translated into feeling like I was working harder.

Comment

badass metallica cover at the end btw

Comment

Some useful motivation now that exam season is coming up. Maybe I should spend less time on the internet if I want first place there, though.
                              This is an Irony Point- ؟
                              An Irony Point is a punctuation mark denoting that a sentence should be understood as ironic or sarcastic.

"When I was a lad I ate four dozen eggs every morning to help me get large"- Gaston.

Comment

Working...
                              X