Question about Back Thickness..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Back Thickness..

Why are deadlifts and Rows in the same group of exercises? deadlifts primarily work the erector muscle (the one that goes along your spinal cord), while barbell rows work your rhombs and lats?

True, the primary muscles targeted by deadlifts are the spinal erectors but the movement also seems to work the whole back quite heavily. In fact, there are only a few major muscles in the human body that are not heavily worked in the deadlift.
    Last edited by U-Hulk; 08-21-2004, 09:14 AM.

Comment

I agree with U-Hulk. Deads and Rack Deads done properly work the whole back region. They produce thick backs, bro. Period.
      CrossFit Champions
      Champions Combat Arts

Comment

good responses, thanks guys sorry i am new to doggcrapp.. heheh

Comment

Originally posted by losercore
          good responses, thanks guys sorry i am new to doggcrapp.. heheh
          Don't apologize for having a good question. It's just as important to understand the 'why' as it is the 'how.'
          CrossFit Champions
          Champions Combat Arts

Comment

i have to agrewe also. my traps and upper back always feel destroyed the day after deadlifts, as well as the erectors
            My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable. I'm unna eat your style, i'm unna eat your style's kids.

Comment

I love deadlifts.
              23 years old, 6'3", 240lbs :showoff:

430 strapped deadlift
              255 belted squat for reps :fresty:
              225 incline BB :fresty:

GETTING THERE!

Comment

Originally posted by losercore
                Why are deadlifts and Rows in the same group of exercises? deadlifts primarily work the erector muscle (the one that goes along your spinal cord), while barbell rows work your rhombs and lats?
                I had the same question in my mind when I first started the DC routine - but I did not ask anyone.

As a result I was confused about some Back Width vs Back Thickness exercises and I got my routine a bit screwed up.

Finally I posted my routine on this board and the hardcore DC'ers set me straight.

Comment

do this for me tommorrow--set up a rack deadlift where you pull from right above the knees ok? Use 135 to 185lbs and strap up--arch your back with shoulders back, and chest out the whole movement. Holding that position lower the barbell a TRUE 4 seconds during the negative phase back onto the pins (now you know why i have you using lighter weight doing this)--do 8-15 reps and remember always to stay in that position doing this---raise up and then GO slow down with back arched, chest out and shoulders back. Tell me on wenesday where your hurting badly......and thats your answer
                  IG is

@dante_trudel

Comment

DC, that's basically what i did on my first day1 workout, and my back felt destroyed the day after point well taken

edit - yeah, don't worry, i won't... i just started off light, because im not really accustomed to deadlifting for reps... so slow negatives were reasonable because the weight was very managable...
                    Last edited by losercore; 08-24-2004, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Ok i dont want you doing true 4-6 seconds negative on deads regularly I just wanted to prove a point
                      IG is

@dante_trudel

Comment

You will also find from the heavy deadlifts your traps will get a great workout as well.
                        Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

Comment

hell yeah. these make my traps more sore than shrugs ever did. i love em
                          My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable. I'm unna eat your style, i'm unna eat your style's kids.

Comment

Working...
                          X