My liver sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My liver sucks

I had a check up at the doctor the other day and apparently my liver has higher than normal levels of enzymes (which means that it is being over-worked). I don't drink alcohol at all (never have) and also have never used gear.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

I have upped my protein levels quite a lot over the past 6-8 months, especially in my shakes during the day. The only supplements I take are glutamine and a multi-vitamin after training.

If the protein is responsible how do guys get 500+ grams of protein a day without their livers packing it in?

Guess it is the protein. Some say adding milk thistle as a supplement will help your liver.

Comment

Another thought would be if drinking enough water.

Comment

bro my were elevated almost to the point of being over the limit and milk thistle plus Tylers Liver Detox brought them back in check!!
        I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

High protien and hard training will in many cases elevate your liver enzymes. As mentioned above, use a quality supplemnet of milk thistle.

Do not use Wally World or GNC stuff. Go to a legit herb shop or acupuncturist. Acupuncturist have a lot of training and education with herbs and usually have the root form of the herbs on hand, which is usually better than capsulated store bought herbs.
          [email protected] http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
          Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

silymarin (milk thistle), make sure it is at least standerdized to 80%, all others are garbage.
            ala/or r-ala
            cla (tonalin preferred)
            evening primrose oil

and possibly:
            calcium d-glucarate
            NAC, N-acetyl cysteine

goggs are you using any pro-hormones, how much protein are you getting in, and what are your liver values?

i noticed you said 6-8 months on high protein, your body sometimes takes time to learn how to deal with the increase in protein, hence higher liver values. this may be it, because 6-8 months is a fairly short time.

d
            TRUEPROTEIN.COM

THE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE...

Comment

Originally posted by tpc
              cla (tonalin preferred)
              Do you think CLA helps the liver?Animal trials have shown it can cause a fatty liver.Aslo it can cause insulin resistance in humans.A lot of "experts" have adviced against it recently saying it might be bad health-wise.

Comment

My better questino is have you ever had a test run for hepatitis C?

Protiein shouldn't effect you liver that hard
                Whatever your mind can conceive and believe, you can achieve!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KillerStack
                  Do you think CLA helps the liver?Animal trials have shown it can cause a fatty liver.Aslo it can cause insulin resistance in humans.A lot of "experts" have adviced against it recently saying it might be bad health-wise.
                  i have read some of those studies regarding CLA fed rats and mice, but if you look at the percentage of cla used it was extremely high. i know many look at CLA usage and think oh he is talking about using it in the high ranges like 15-30 grams a day (typically for fat loss reasons). i meant usage of CLA in the range of 1-2 grams a day for overall detox. i could be wrong, but through personally experience, i really feel it is benificial.

d
                  TRUEPROTEIN.COM

THE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE...

Comment

I use Liv365 from Biohazard. Anyone have a comment on that product? I feel that it might be working, but on the other hand I haven't gone to test myself yet, so it might just be placebo.

Comment

Originally posted by Goggs1
                      I had a check up at the doctor the other day and apparently my liver has higher than normal levels of enzymes (which means that it is being over-worked). I don't drink alcohol at all (never have) and also have never used gear.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

I have upped my protein levels quite a lot over the past 6-8 months, especially in my shakes during the day. The only supplements I take are glutamine and a multi-vitamin after training.

If the protein is responsible how do guys get 500+ grams of protein a day without their livers packing it in?

What's high? What were your ALT and AST enzyme levels? Did you train in the past two days before your test? How much protein have you been eating in the week before your test? Has the doctor asked for follow up tests....i.e. Hep a, b,c antigen test, iron? Answering these questions should help find out what the problem is.

My guess, since you don't drink or take oral AAS, is that it is because of muscle tissue breakdown. Or an acute toxic effect due to oral painkillers...i.e. Tylenol. AST and ALT levels below 90, can be caused by muscle tissue breakdown. The high enzymes your doctor found are enzymes found in liver cells that can leak into the blookstream when liver cells die. BUT these SAME enzymes are also found in muscle tissue. Further tests can determine wheter it is the liver that is at stress. These are iron, total billiruben, clotting factors, and antigen tests for the hepatitis virus. If they are truly high, he would have asked for these. Let us know how it's going, and if you have any questions feel free to IM me.

R

Comment

i had one elevated liver enzyme at last check...doc said it was probably due to high protein.

TH
                        For all your Trueprotein supplement needs (www.trueprotein.com), use this code (SER742) and receive 5% off your purchase. Save 10% on orders 16lbs or more!

Comment

Working...
                        X