BB rows vs machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB rows vs machines

I agree in most cases compound exercises are the best option using free weights, but when it comes to rowing motions Im starting to think machines are better. When doing bent rows It just seems to many other factors are comming into play. The angle I am bent over, my grip, where to bend at the elbow. It jsut seems like all these little things are taking away from stimulating my back and its just not cutting it. What are your guys thoughts on this for back thickness. I am thinking of making my rowing motion "Dante Rows". I recently saw them done bye dusty on youtube and I really like them. Seems like a nice compromise. whats everyone elses favorite back thickness motion other then deads and rack deadS?

Can you post up a link to the video you are talking about? Also, a video of you "Dante rows" would be sweet, too.
    If it's not fun, don't do it

Comment

Here you go . . . Seems like a perfect compromise. It stabalizes everything and allows you to isolate your back while keeping that rowing motion that has built so many great backs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr6-OKbCqu4

Comment

Those look good, real good. Too bad my gym doesn't have a deadlift machine. My favorite type of rows are cable rows or Yates rows, I don't know if cables are considered machines but they damn sure hit the back quite nicely. I do agree that BB rows have a lot of room for error.
        Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Why not do both?

Edit: That if is you're not doing DC with deadlifts and rack deadlifts.

Comment

Originally posted by MachMood View Post
            I agree in most cases compound exercises are the best option using free weights, but when it comes to rowing motions Im starting to think machines are better. When doing bent rows It just seems to many other factors are comming into play. The angle I am bent over, my grip, where to bend at the elbow. It jsut seems like all these little things are taking away from stimulating my back and its just not cutting it. What are your guys thoughts on this for back thickness. I am thinking of making my rowing motion "Dante Rows". I recently saw them done bye dusty on youtube and I really like them. Seems like a nice compromise. whats everyone elses favorite back thickness motion other then deads and rack deadS?
            Try 1.5 rep T-bar rows. Use bar in the corner or the old school bar bolted to the platform not the chest supported.
            Stimulation through annihilation.

Comment

Originally posted by hellbilly View Post
              Try 1.5 rep T-bar rows. Use bar in the corner or the old school bar bolted to the platform not the chest supported.
              you mean : full rep, hold, half way rep,hold ?
              "An egg yolk is a terrible thing to waste"
              J.M.

Comment

Here is the thing ..it isn't "what" it is "how". If you perform bb rows the same way that Dusty does his rows in that video, you will DEFINITELY be hitting hour back completely.
                2008 WABDL World Bench Press Champioships, 2nd place 275lb submaster division state record bench press
                2001 WABDL World Record Breaker Bench Press Championships 1st place 275lb class
                2000 USPF Regional Championships 1st place 275lb division
                1999 USPF NorthWest Reigional Championships 1st place, 275lb division
                1998 USAPL State Championships 1st place 275lb division
                1997 AAU State Championships 1st place 275lb division
                1997 USPF State Championships 1st place 275lb division
                + more

Comment

Originally posted by bouncer dave View Post
                  you mean : full rep, hold, half way rep,hold ?
                  Yes, rep all the way up, negative half way back down, rep back up to full negative back down. That's one rep.
                  Stimulation through annihilation.

Comment

Originally posted by LearningDC View Post
                    Here is the thing ..it isn't "what" it is "how". If you perform bb rows the same way that Dusty does his rows in that video, you will DEFINITELY be hitting hour back completely.
                    I just saw Dusty do his free weight barbell rows this morning and I can promise you it works your WHOLE back. IMO it's incredible to see what a slight adjustment can do!
                    Respectfully Submitted,
                    JT

Proud to be a DH Disciple
                    http://www.dustyhanshaw.com

www.jamestucci.blogspot.com

Comment

Have anyone ever tried doing those one and a quarter rep for squats??.

Comment

Originally posted by James Tucci View Post
                        I just saw Dusty do his free weight barbell rows this morning and I can promise you it works your WHOLE back. IMO it's incredible to see what a slight adjustment can do!
                        Any vids of him doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by dcwannabee View Post
                          Have anyone ever tried doing those one and a quarter rep for squats??.
                          Not with DC training, but yes. I used them to help bust my plateau coming out of the hole. It was a while ago but I remember them frying my legs up pretty good, nothing like a badass widowmaker though.
                          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

IMO, BB rows are must. Maybe you just need to drop the lbs a little bit and practice form? FWIW, I do BB rows followed my hammerstrength one arm rows. I feel that gets the best of both worlds. I do deads last, so I'm pre exhausted so I don't have to use max poundage.
                            Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

Hopefully there's a response to this question besides stop being a pussy, but if you do deadlifts or rack pulls on the same day as bent over rows what kind of work arounds exist to continue doing bent over BB rows? Would supporting your head on an inclined bench work? My lower back is generally so fried by then it affects my form. I'd like a fix of sorts.

Comment

Working...
                              X