Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Without a spotter/partner for the first time in my training life..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Without a spotter/partner for the first time in my training life..

Man, I have new respect for guys that have to go it alone. I really didn't realise how much I was relying on my partners for stuff...
    Maybe I am just getting older, but it is harder to go when you aren't meeting someone there. Also, I have had to change some of my exercises (esp pushes ie Incline bb, bb shoulder press, etc.)

So, I figured I would give you guys that always go solo your props. Just took my partners for granted over the years.
    2008 WABDL World Bench Press Champioships, 2nd place 275lb submaster division state record bench press
    2001 WABDL World Record Breaker Bench Press Championships 1st place 275lb class
    2000 USPF Regional Championships 1st place 275lb division
    1999 USPF NorthWest Reigional Championships 1st place, 275lb division
    1998 USAPL State Championships 1st place 275lb division
    1997 AAU State Championships 1st place 275lb division
    1997 USPF State Championships 1st place 275lb division
    + more

Are you training solo from here on out, and if so, why?
    Max Muscle
    5020 Katella Ave.
    Los Alamitos, CA 90720
    www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Thanks, I guess

I've been training solo for years, feels natural to be honest. Most people I tried training with would have a tendency to talk a lot (as do I, for that matter, because I'm a very talkative person) and it would just distract me from my workout. Good luck though, you'll get used to it after a while. Use a power cage for certain movements if you're worried about safety, I always do.
      Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
        Are you training solo from here on out, and if so, why?

My training partner (and best friend) is going through some personal stuff that is interfering with the gym. Temporary, I hope. Try out a new guy tomorrow night....shall see how it works out. Alot of times, guys look at it like a personal training session. They are constsantly asking for advice and my opinion and quite frankly giving me too much respect. I need to have my ass handed to me just like anyone else.

Originally posted by Carlito Gambino View Post
        Thanks, I guess

I've been training solo for years, feels natural to be honest. Most people I tried training with would have a tendency to talk a lot (as do I, for that matter, because I'm a very talkative person) and it would just distract me from my workout. Good luck though, you'll get used to it after a while. Use a power cage for certain movements if you're worried about safety, I always do.
        Yup. I have been spoiled.
        2008 WABDL World Bench Press Champioships, 2nd place 275lb submaster division state record bench press
        2001 WABDL World Record Breaker Bench Press Championships 1st place 275lb class
        2000 USPF Regional Championships 1st place 275lb division
        1999 USPF NorthWest Reigional Championships 1st place, 275lb division
        1998 USAPL State Championships 1st place 275lb division
        1997 AAU State Championships 1st place 275lb division
        1997 USPF State Championships 1st place 275lb division
        + more

Comment

I go solo ten months of the year and lift with a friend for June/July when I'm back home from Uni. I love been able to try for 1rm when he's around but I think I prefer training alone tbh.
          Armedcor's road to a strength base.

Comment

The fact that your still willing to adapt after years of training RESPECT
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Comment

I've been going it alone for the last 5 years or so and it is something you will get used to. When you've been in the game as long as we have, you already have the fire deep inside, you just need to remember how to tap into it to drive yourself.
              -KidRok-
              "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
              5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Sucks loading all those plates by yourself, huh?
                Originally posted by MoGeaYuglay
                "DC is for people who are seriously stuck or advanced (which a 16 year is not, even if they started training at 5y/o), here's 5x5 (insert madcow's link), you'll grow better with this
                -the management"
                "Any action without purpose is meaningless."

Comment

I have been training alone for several years (doing DC for about a year) not because I want to but because my schedule is so jacked up for work. I use a lot of machines, especially the smith. I defiantly think training alone is a disadvantage in many ways. I feel like I leave just a little bit on the gym floor on certain lifts because I really don’t want to get stuck under a bar that is loaded down with weight. You obviously can’t go to true failure on most lifts due to the safety factor. Plus I hate asking for a spot from one of “those guys” at my gym all the time, you know the ones I am talking about, not because I think half of them are chodes and focus on peak contraction pinkeye finger twist technique :hysterica but because I want to focus on my session and you never know if they know how to be a good spotter. You can’t put a price on a reliable partner IMO

Comment

yeah, I go back and forth on this one. I like having a partner for the mental/safety aspect, but sometimes I find I try to do a little too much with a spotter knowing he will be there to give me the two finger bump if I get stuck, so I tend to be a little over confident from time to time on what I should push with a spot..

But I have faith in you LDC that you can adjust and be fine without the spot

I hope everything works out for your friend in his bad situation both for him personally and that you guys can get back at it together.

Comment

Don't worry, you get used to the loneliness...

:smow:
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

I just realized that I said two finger bump and Sammich didn't even run with it... must be the finals...

Comment

I've trained alone nearly the entire time I've been lifting (not as long as yourself).

I actually had a question about this...is it viewed as a bad thing if you need a spot on Incline DB presses for getting the weights in place in order to get the number of reps you want? For instance, with a spot for the first rep, I currently RP my incline DB presses w/ 85lb DBs, and the reps are typically: 10, 5, 3, 2. After only 15 breaths between sets, I simply can't get them back up alone. For the first set I can get them in place, but that 10th rep is typically using every last bit of energy within me, and after anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute, I just don't have it in me to get the weights into place for the next 5 reps. However, with a spot at the elbows just for the first rep/getting the weights into place, I can get that rep set above. Without the spot, typically I have to drop the concept of RP...I have to take full 2-3 minute rests, go for more reps, and even then getting the weights into place isn't a given.

So is it generally viewed as a bad thing to have a lack of explosive power to get weights into place, or are the reps themselves all that really matter? It would be a bit annoying to have to stick to lower DBs that don't challenge me in reps just so I can get them into place by myself.

Comment

Originally posted by WorldStrike View Post
                            I've trained alone nearly the entire time I've been lifting (not as long as yourself).

I actually had a question about this...is it viewed as a bad thing if you need a spot on Incline DB presses for getting the weights in place in order to get the number of reps you want? For instance, with a spot for the first rep, I currently RP my incline DB presses w/ 85lb DBs, and the reps are typically: 10, 5, 3, 2. After only 15 breaths between sets, I simply can't get them back up alone. For the first set I can get them in place, but that 10th rep is typically using every last bit of energy within me, and after anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute, I just don't have it in me to get the weights into place for the next 5 reps. However, with a spot at the elbows just for the first rep/getting the weights into place, I can get that rep set above. Without the spot, typically I have to drop the concept of RP...I have to take full 2-3 minute rests, go for more reps, and even then getting the weights into place isn't a given.

So is it generally viewed as a bad thing to have a lack of explosive power to get weights into place, or are the reps themselves all that really matter? It would be a bit annoying to have to stick to lower DBs that don't challenge me in reps just so I can get them into place by myself.

are you using full ROM on every rep after the first? If so, I could be off here, but I wouldn't see a difference initially between say the first and fifth rep when looking at the rep from just the standpoint of initial lift.. I mean obviously the weight is getting harder to lift as you progress into the set, but not even getting the first rep on the second subset of the RP sort of hints that you are not using full ROM throughout so you are weaker in the bottom portion of the press.

Again, only my impression, I could be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by ddubb9965 View Post
                              Sucks loading all those plates by yourself, huh?
                              ya no shit you know loading his bar would be a workout for me...

i find it hard to train with others for all the same reasons mentioned above, most want to socialize, or just curl. ive had a couple of good partners along the way but schedule and life gets in the way.

i hope your partner gets squared away and back at it cause im sure its nice to have someone with the same goals/drive and philosophy on training
                              Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                              -John Ceasar

Comment

Working...
                              X