Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I can't do rack deads...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So, I can't do rack deads...

    What do you guys suggest I do instead? Just moved back to school and last year they didn't have a power rack, and I really doubt they have one now. I may need to make a request.

    Anyways, I can do floor deads. Should I just stop at about knee level, or what? I can always start with it on the squat rack, and back it out, then scoot forward to re-rack the weights. Any thoughts?

    Also, last time I did this I really felt it in my hams. Was I doing it wrong? What kind of form should I keep?

    Thanks guys.
    23 years old, 6'3", 240lbs :showoff:

    430 strapped deadlift
    255 belted squat for reps :fresty:
    225 incline BB :fresty:

    GETTING THERE!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Stang Man
    What do you guys suggest I do instead? Just moved back to school and last year they didn't have a power rack, and I really doubt they have one now. I may need to make a request.

    Anyways, I can do floor deads. Should I just stop at about knee level, or what? I can always start with it on the squat rack, and back it out, then scoot forward to re-rack the weights. Any thoughts?

    Also, last time I did this I really felt it in my hams. Was I doing it wrong? What kind of form should I keep?

    Thanks guys.
    A couple suggestions.

    No, do not do floor deadlifts and just 'stop' at knee level. You can just do floor deads or try rack deads like this:
    Put the bar on the end of a sturdy bench and do them from there. Have you ever seen someone doing shrugs from the end of a sturdy bench because the gym didn't have a power rack? Same thing here. You just have to be carefull how you set the bar back down onto the end of the bench, balance I mean.


    What other back thickness movements are in your rotation?
    CrossFit Champions
    Champions Combat Arts

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Stang Man
      Anyways, I can do floor deads. Should I just stop at about knee level, or what? I can always start with it on the squat rack, and back it out, then scoot forward to re-rack the weights. Any thoughts?

      Also, last time I did this I really felt it in my hams. Was I doing it wrong? What kind of form should I keep?

      Thanks guys.
      You shouldn't really feel deads in your hams. I'm not saying they aren't involved but they shouldn't be the muscles mostly worked. My guesses are:
      (a) your hams are extremely tight and you need to work on flexibility
      (b) you are raising your hips first or very early in the movement and finishing the pull more like a straight-legged deadlift. If this is the case, you are probably using deadlift weight and completing the exercise with WAY too much strain on your lower back.
      These are guesses.
      CrossFit Champions
      Champions Combat Arts

      Comment


      • #4
        You can also do Smythe Racks, similar to using a Rack just a little different at the end of the movement...
        "That damn log book"

        www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

        Comment


        • #5
          The other excercises I have been doing for back thickness are T-Bar rows, floor deadlifts as I said before, BB rows, and DB rows. Now all in the same rotation, but those are the ones I have used.
          23 years old, 6'3", 240lbs :showoff:

          430 strapped deadlift
          255 belted squat for reps :fresty:
          225 incline BB :fresty:

          GETTING THERE!

          Comment


          • #6
            I do rack deads in the smith. Works well once you get the technique down. The main problem is the bar will only go up and down. When your pulling through the movement you want to come towards you, so once you lockout at the top that bar is against you. The smith makes it difficult. You can stand there with the bar up against you but when you go down and bend your knees it kinda fucks up.

            I stand on a platform thing of about 4 inches cause i want to get it at knee level and im a bit short. So i set myself up with the bar at the bottom at knee level. I get as close as possible and get set up. and just pull. the bar is slightly away from me at the top of the movement but im having no problems. i just hope the platform thing can handle the weight. its plastic. so sooner or later i feel like im just gonna fall right through it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by The Munster
              You shouldn't really feel deads in your hams. I'm not saying they aren't involved but they shouldn't be the muscles mostly worked. My guesses are:
              (a) your hams are extremely tight and you need to work on flexibility
              (b) you are raising your hips first or very early in the movement and finishing the pull more like a straight-legged deadlift. If this is the case, you are probably using deadlift weight and completing the exercise with WAY too much strain on your lower back.
              These are guesses.
              I may need to re-evaluate my form then. This is what I do as best as I can describe it. For floor deads, I push through with my legs and as my knees begin to straighten out I begin to also stand up straight. I keep my back straight throughout the entire movement, if not arched back. Please give me as much input as possible, because I know with correct form some massive gains are to be made.
              23 years old, 6'3", 240lbs :showoff:

              430 strapped deadlift
              255 belted squat for reps :fresty:
              225 incline BB :fresty:

              GETTING THERE!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Stang Man
                The other excercises I have been doing for back thickness are T-Bar rows, floor deadlifts as I said before, BB rows, and DB rows. Now all in the same rotation, but those are the ones I have used.
                Then don't worry so much about Racks, the exercises you have are fine...
                "That damn log book"

                www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Stang Man, I want you to go over to Steroidology and go to the training form and watch pullingbigs training videos that are a sticky, he is the master at Deads and all powerlifting movements.

                  http://www.steroidology.com/forum/sh...threadid=47908

                  Enjoy...
                  "That damn log book"

                  www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by In-Human
                    Stang Man, I want you to go over to Steroidology and go to the training form and watch pullingbigs training videos that are a sticky, he is the master at Deads and all powerlifting movements.

                    http://www.steroidology.com/forum/sh...threadid=47908

                    Enjoy...
                    Wow, there's a lot of video's there. Very good link.

                    R

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by xRAJAx
                      Wow, there's a lot of video's there. Very good link.

                      R
                      Yea pullin is the man and he is a monster at 309...
                      "That damn log book"

                      www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        pullin/exmgq (same person) is a great guy. very helpful and has lots of experience. he has helped me out a lot in the past and everyone could learn a lot from him.
                        It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Best thing I like about rack deads-The bar is so much easier to load and unload.


                          Log Book PIMP! It ain't a crime if it likes it!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            yeah pullinbig is an awesome guy, he has helped me a TON in the past, he is an absolute monster.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X