how low should you go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how low should you go

how low should you go on squats, leg press and shoulder press movements.

On squats and Leg Press, as low as possible. For shoulders, down to your clavicle is what I do and for behind the neck I go down to ear level.

Comment

thanks so squats would be till youre ass hits youre legs, leg press is until youre ass starts rounding. but for shoulder is it safe to go so low.

Comment

im 6 feet 4 so its almost impossible for my knees to hit my chest on leg press. i usually go fucking heavy and just go down 2 feet or so and it burns my quads.

Comment

goliath,

I train with a guy taller than you and he brings his knees to his chest... my advice would be to lighten up the weights and go as deep as you can go...

If you are only going down 2 feet, you aren't getting a full range of motion.

JMO

TR

Comment

Originally posted by RaulJimenez
            You ass should never round on the leg press, how do I prevent this?? One of the things I do is I hold for my dear life to the bar hanldes , it really works in preventing your ass to go round , but my knees usually hit my chest before I go up again in leg presses.
            What if you were born with a round ass?...

-R
            The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
            2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
            2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus
              What if you were born with a round ass?...

-R
              Then you need to change your name to Rachel...
              "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Originally posted by goliath23
                how low should you go on squats, leg press and shoulder press movements.
                Squats as low as you can go but no bouncing off the bottom, Leg Press as Raul said and shoulders if doing presses to your chin on the bottom, behind the neck I go top of my ears since I have some shoulder issues...
                "That damn log book"

Comment

I agree with you guys here. Squatting all the way down till im basically sitting there, but not really sitting, would never let the joints take the weight.

Leg press just as raul described, grabbing the bars for dear life to keep myself in the seat. Ive got flexibility issues so i have to take a slightly wider stance and let my legs go out into my arm pits and not my chest.

And shoulders same, for the front to the chin. Dont do them behind cause of rotator cuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by asim
                    Leg press just as raul described, grabbing the bars for dear life to keep myself in the seat. Ive got flexibility issues so i have to take a slightly wider stance and let my legs go out into my arm pits and not my chest.
                    We have these pads at our gym, 2'x3' and 1 3/4" thick, that people use to kneel on the floor for doing abs, I place this pad on the seat part where your ass goes on the Sled and I place my feet wide on the platform and when I come all the way down my ass will not roll up...
                    Last edited by In-Human; 08-18-2004, 01:35 PM.
                    "That damn log book"

Comment

as always thanks for the clearup its much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Human
                        We have these pads at your gym, 2'x3' and 1 3/4" thick, that people use to kneel on the floor for doing abs, I place this pad on the seat part where your ass goes on the Sled and I place my feet wide on the platform and when I come all the way down my ass will not roll up...
                        Sounds interesting. We have the pad which people use on the seat for their back so that their closer to the foot plate, cause you get some shorter people and what not. I use to use it to go even deeper but thats become a bit more of a problem since my legs have thickened up.

Comment

Originally posted by goliath23
                          im 6 feet 4 so its almost impossible for my knees to hit my chest on leg press. i usually go fucking heavy and just go down 2 feet or so and it burns my quads.
                          Keep your head on the back rest at all times, and most importantly raise your sternum/chest high and hold it high thru the whole movement (dont hold your breath though--breath normally)--this will make it virtually impossible for your ass to rise up so find your foot placing and go deep--think of bringing your ribcage toward your neck (i know that sounds stupid but try) and this will all come together for you
                          IG is

@dante_trudel

Comment

i actually just finished my 1st dc leg workout 45 min ago and today was squats i did my 1st set going all the way down for 6 reps to failure i then lightened the weight for my 2nd set but i ran into a problem i got my 20 reps but stopped there not because my quads were hurting but because my lower back was killing me and my hands and part of my forearms lost felling. any ideas how to stop this would be appreciated because my back doesnt hurt when i go heavy for low reps.

Comment

do your 20 repper on the smythe
                              IG is

@dante_trudel

Comment

Working...
                              X