Attention All You Early Bird Lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention All You Early Bird Lifters

Hey guys, it appears that with my new job, the only time I will be able to workout will be early in the morning, getting up at about 6:00am or so.

Just wanted to hear from the guys that have been doing the eaarly morning thing, what time do you go to bed, any tips to get a good nights sleep, wake up rested ready to train? any other tips??

Thanks a lot guys

(BTW, I am not a morning person lol)
    TRUEPROTEIN.COM
    --THE BEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS FOR THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICES

Originally posted by babygetoboy
    Hey guys, it appears that with my new job, the only time I will be able to workout will be early in the morning, getting up at about 6:00am or so.

Just wanted to hear from the guys that have been doing the eaarly morning thing, what time do you go to bed, any tips to get a good nights sleep, wake up rested ready to train? any other tips??

Thanks a lot guys

(BTW, I am not a morning person lol)
    So you get to sleep in eh? 6 am is late! I've been getting up at 3 am for the last 5+ years. I'm at the gym by 3:30. I usually go to bed by 8 or 8:30. Nice thing is my wife gets up and trains with me.
    I try not to watch anything on TV to close to bed time that gets me wound up. I also don't eat anything after 6 unless its a protein drink. ( low carb of course)
    When I wake up, I am ready to rock! Other than that, it just takes a little time to get used to it..
    Hope this helps bro.
    Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

I train at 6:30 AM and I love it. It's great to get in there, get it done and not have to worry about it later in the day.

When I got came back to the gym after a lay off I realized that with my new business there was no way in hell I could have any kind of workout schedule in the evening after work. I never know whats going to happen. The only time I could be 100% I wouldnt be disturbed is before 9:00 AM. So I started going early for the first time ever.

Its a little rough at first. If you aren't used to it getting under a loaded squat bar at 6:30 AM can be...interesting. But you get used to it. Its quiet in the gym in the morning. There's no teenagers running around in wife beaters. I practically have the joint to myself on some days.

I go to bed very early. Generally I am in bed by 9:00 PM if I know Im training the next day. Even if Im not training I still go to bed early. I have to, there's no other way for me. If that sounds too early thats ok, it might be. Everyone is different. You'll have to experiment a bit to find out what time frame works for you.

I would suggest getting up at least an hour and half before you plan on leaving the house. In other words, dont try to roll out of bed and hit the gym. You'll throw up. I get up at 5:00 AM, curse for 5 minutes, then I have a big cup of coffee or three. I eat my pre workout meal of a shake and oatmeal or if Im feeling naughty a bagel, take a shower and get ready to go. By then I'm wide awake and ready to train. I used to set my alarm for 5 AM. Now I dont even need it, I just wake up.

Getting a good nights sleep should be easy. You'll be friggin exhausted. Sometimes if Im having trouble sleeping I'll have a big ol fat protein shake made with whole milk. That tends to knock me out. Or if all else fails an over the counter product like Simply Sleep works for me. Or I'll read one of Bill Philips most recent articles. If that doesnt put you in a coma nothing will. Also try and lay off the caffeine as it grows later in the day.

Now, lets face it, you will have some days where you sleep like crap and wake up feeling like a big, fat slug. As you get used to training early this will happen less and less but I still get a bad day here and there. On those days, I dont fight it. I go back to sleep and train the next day. With the extra rest, and just a touch of guilt, I'm usually even more of a lunatic in the gym. Its easy to overtrain, its very hard to undertrain unless your name is Paul Dillet or Flex Wheeler. Plus the extra rest day on occaison is Dante approved. Dig it.

Its fun to go to the gym with the sun still coming up. Its great knowing that no matter the hell the day has in store for you you've already done your training. It motivates the hell out of me just thinking that while my friends and business associates are snoring away I'm drenched in sweat deadlifting. That's hardcore baby, that's hardcore!
      Last edited by Gollum; 08-13-2004, 08:06 PM.
      Through the best and the worst
      The struggle and sacrifice.
      For the true who've remained and the new blood.
      Motivation, undying allegiance
      Striving through the hardships and affliction.
      Every drop of blood
      Every bitter tear
      Every bead of sweat
      I live for this

Comment

My wife and I are up at 430, in the gym by 5
        we try to hit the bed by 9pm
        it is gonna take a while to get used to, but 6 is better than 430
        the best advice is, do it 5 days a week, or your body clock will never adjust
        I go every other day and have been since January, it doesn't work as well
        Lift big 2 get big
        TrueProtein.com Use discount code ctg001 for additional savings on already great prices
        mod at bodybuilding.com
        mod at iron-forum.com
        mod at melanoplanet.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
        So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??
        "Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes.
        Because, then you're a mile away, AND you've got their shoes"

Comment

man I just can not train the first thing in the morning. It seems like my body needs at least 2 meals in it before I am ready for some heavy iron, but maybe that is just me.
          I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

I wish I could lift after getting a few solid meals in me, but it's not going to workout with this stupid new work schedule, but I have to make it happen.
            TRUEPROTEIN.COM

Comment

Bro training in the morning is the best time to hit the gym. Once you get used to it, you will really enjoy the benefits of working out early in the morning. One of them being that most people hit the gym after work and it is way too crowded and almost impossible to get all of the machines/weights you are needing, especially when you are performing a DC style routine. I drink a cup of coffee to get me going and then get two protein drinks ready: one for the trip to the gym and then another one for postworkout.

When you work out in the morning you have the rest of the day to take care of the things that are involved with your life -- such as spending time with your friends and family, etc., etc.
              I'll rip your *** damn pimp's heart out!

Comment

One tip is to put one of your workouts on the weekend, and maybe you could fit one other during the week sometime, so you only have to get up that early once.

Comment

Been lifting 20yrs in the morning..once you get used to it ,you will never go back.Takes about 3mo's to really get used to it....just remember getting up is the easy part....going to sleep on time is the hard part!
                  Good luck,
                  GF
                  The older I get the lighter the weights used to be...........

Comment

It definetely takes some getting used to. I have been getting up at 4:30 and training at 5:00 for the past three years. I absolutely love it. It still sucks ass getting up that early -- especially with a newborn at home who likes to get up at 2:00 a.m. to eat (I guess I already have him on a good three hour eating schedule). However, by the time I am through warming up I am ready to go. I usually get to bed about 10:00. The first 4 to 6 weeks were the worst, but your body will adapt with time.

Comment

All I can say you guys are fucking nuts,,,, lol,,, no way my ass is working out that early,,,, you get props from me
                      I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

[QUOTE=Gollum] If you aren't used to it getting under a loaded squat bar at 6:30 AM can be...interesting. QUOTE]
                        That is VERY TRUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigp3
                          All I can say you guys are fucking nuts,,,, lol,,, no way my ass is working out that early,,,, you get props from me
                          LOL, my thoughts exactly!

But like most other things, once you do it consistently it becomes routine and most likely won't even bother you.

Comment

I'm liking this early morning thing.

Got up at 6am, hit the gym, and got a personal best on Squats my first workout of this blast. 6X 275, let's hope it keeps up!
                            TRUEPROTEIN.COM

Comment

Working...
                            X