Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABS training, how do YOU do?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ABS training, how do YOU do?

    I read in "The Dogg Logg" at MM that you train your abs when waiting for machines or on your off-days.
    But which exercises, sets, reps and specials do you personally use?




    (Btw, Dire Straits are good :rocker: :o )

  • #2
    I use some stuff I read by Iron Addict for my abs. I furst warm up. Then I hit a heavy set on the Nautilus crunch machine. I go heavy enough that I can only get it for 12 reps, then I try and get three sets that way. When I can get 12 on all three sets...the weight goes up. I then go upstairs and hit the decline bench with a db on my chest. i never stop at the bottom or the top...always keeping stree on the abs. I do the same 3x12 there, as heavy as I can go. I am training abs for core strength...not for underwear modeling.

    I have wondered how others do this as well...should be an interesting thread.

    Comment


    • #3
      I believe you can get both, your core strength and modeling look by just doing heavy sets on abs. I personally follow IA's article on abs. 2 sets of heavy weight ab movements for as close to 10 reps as I can stay.

      When the back starts coming into it, I'm done. I wait a few minutes, and start on my next set, when form breaks again, I'm done.

      Thats it. I have noticed an increase in core strength and looks by doing them like this. Aside from just heavy abs, all the heavy compound lifts are gunna hit them and your obliques better than any lightweight flutter kicks would.
      "I got rocks on my hands just like a dope fiend."

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by boffo234
        I believe you can get both, your core strength and modeling look by just doing heavy sets on abs. I personally follow IA's article on abs. 2 sets of heavy weight ab movements for as close to 10 reps as I can stay.

        When the back starts coming into it, I'm done. I wait a few minutes, and start on my next set, when form breaks again, I'm done.

        Thats it. I have noticed an increase in core strength and looks by doing them like this. Aside from just heavy abs, all the heavy compound lifts are gunna hit them and your obliques better than any lightweight flutter kicks would.
        A link to that article would be appreciated.

        (I need other words for appreciated, haha, I use it too much!)

        Comment


        • #5
          http://www.ironaddicts.com/articles/abtraining.html

          Do yourself a solid and read all his articles!

          Good stuff, and a great trainer.
          "I got rocks on my hands just like a dope fiend."

          Comment


          • #6
            i agree with both of u guys on this. That is the way I train my abs. Incline situps with a 90lb. dumbell with 8-10 second negatives is a bitch to do. The abs however have never looked better.
            :showoff: Pain is weakness leaving the body – and strength training is the antidote. :showoff:

            5% off trueprotein.com order when U use the discount code erl633

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by boffo234
              http://www.ironaddicts.com/articles/abtraining.html

              Do yourself a solid and read all his articles!

              Good stuff, and a great trainer.
              I will! Thank you.

              Comment


              • #8
                I do three exercises. Floor crunches with weight, the ab machine and leg raises with weight. I rotate them, so after workout #1 I would do crunches, after workout #2 ab machine, etc.

                I rest/pause because I love friggin' love rest/pause. I do one rest/puase set. I try for 12-15 reps on the first set using a very slow negative. When I can get 15 reps easy or more the weight goes up. However I am more concerned with a controled negative and really feeling the abs then I am about slinging weight.
                Through the best and the worst
                The struggle and sacrifice.
                For the true who've remained and the new blood.
                Motivation, undying allegiance
                Striving through the hardships and affliction.
                Every drop of blood
                Every bitter tear
                Every bead of sweat
                I live for this



                Comment


                • #9
                  I like rope crunches and leg raises with a dumbbell held in my feet.... works nice, I train my abs once a month whether I need it or not!!!!
                  I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

                  "Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I like heavy weighted crunches and heavy pulley crunches with a weight that I can complete no more than 20-25 reps with. Then at the end of a set (only one) I will basically do partials until I can't crunch anymore...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This is going to sound immature but I'm being serious.

                      Sex pretty much takes care of ab work for me. Abs and certain areas of the glutes.
                      CrossFit Champions
                      Champions Combat Arts

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If your doing heavy ass squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, and rack deadlifts, I don't think you need to do to much ab work. I know for myself that I have a thick midsection from this and I find by doing more ab work it dosn't seem to improve to much. Perhaps a few week before a show it might be beneficial to do abs, but the res tof the time, I don't think its 100% needed.
                        Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

                        Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by The Munster
                          This is going to sound immature but I'm being serious.

                          Sex pretty much takes care of ab work for me. Abs and certain areas of the glutes.
                          Thats the only good reason to get a girlfriend I've ever heard.
                          Never forget to lock your fridge! The INHUMAN one is near!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by The Munster
                            This is going to sound immature but I'm being serious.

                            Sex pretty much takes care of ab work for me. Abs and certain areas of the glutes.

                            Never really worked for me. But then again, it's difficult to get a good work-out in under two minutes.

                            Through the best and the worst
                            The struggle and sacrifice.
                            For the true who've remained and the new blood.
                            Motivation, undying allegiance
                            Striving through the hardships and affliction.
                            Every drop of blood
                            Every bitter tear
                            Every bead of sweat
                            I live for this



                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Gollum
                              Never really worked for me. But then again, it's difficult to get a good work-out in under two minutes.


                              Go faster so you can get more reps per minute!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X