Hurt myself doing Hack Squats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurt myself doing Hack Squats

I was doing my 6 rep set of hacks ATF. On my 4th rep I got a shooting pain down the back of my knee down to my ankle. I did not attempt my 20 repper, I am still in pain it is in a odd place behind my knee and under my gastroc. muscle. Any suggestions?

Welcome to IM, and ouch, do you use knee wraps for your worksets?, you could have a small pull, I would begin to ice it 15 minutes at a time each hour for a few hours and see how it feels over the next day, if it gets worse or you see bruising there, get to a doc right away...
    "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

could be pull and there may be some swelling causing the nerves to bring the pain lower. alternate you ice and heat. smart move not hitting your 20s.
      ---------------------------------

[email protected]

ADVANCED [email protected] (tell 'em darth sent ya!!)

Comment

Yes, I have been icing it. I have also started ibuprofen with meals. I do not where knee wraps. I do have them, I only wear them when I am attempting 5 reps and lower on squats. Going ATF is very hard for me I stand 6'3.

Comment

sounds like a flexibility problem and a slight pull as a result. work on your flexibility and use a bit lighter weight until you feel comfortable going down that low. if you aren't used to going that low you have to kind of work your way back up the poundages at first or you can hurt yourself.

also wear your knee wraps loosely wrapped around your knees, just tight enough so they wont come off but not so tight they cut off circulation, the whole time you are doing quads including warm ups and rests. tighten them up as much or little as you like for your work sets but the main purpose of the wraps in this case is to keep your knees nice and warm. warm joints, muscles, ligaments, and tendons are happy and less injury prone ones
          It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Comment

probably a pull but could be a tear.... If you tore it you would know. I tore my lat about 2 months ago and it was the most painfull thing I think I have ever had happen. Worse than a broken bone.
            I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

Try neoprene sleeves on your knees also, they will keep you warm throughout your whole leg workout and when I go heavy I use knee wraps right over the neoprenes...
              "That damn log book"

Comment

Originally posted by bigp3
                probably a pull but could be a tear.... If you tore it you would know. I tore my lat about 2 months ago and it was the most painfull thing I think I have ever had happen. Worse than a broken bone.

Bump on this, I have also torn a muscle in the past. It is without a doubt excruciating

Comment

okay guys, I will try the knee wraps, I have a heavy duty pair primarily for powerlifting but I will just wrap them loose and kep them on for injury protection. I do work on flexibility, for every lift I do, I do a weighted stretch following the lift. It already feels better this morning so I doubt it is a tear. I may choose to stay away from hacks because I am so tall that my toes hang off the edge when I set up in the machine. My three exercises are squats, 45 degree leg press, hacks, what would be a good alternative to the hacks. Also, how do you guys train calves it takes my calves 4-5 days to recover, so my calve day falls on different workout days than my ham. and quad day???

Comment

as i recall for calves its a 5 second negative with a 15 second stretch at the bottom of each rep. do one straight set of 12 or so
                    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Comment

Originally posted by mecca
                      okay guys, I will try the knee wraps, I have a heavy duty pair primarily for powerlifting but I will just wrap them loose and kep them on for injury protection. I do work on flexibility, for every lift I do, I do a weighted stretch following the lift. It already feels better this morning so I doubt it is a tear. I may choose to stay away from hacks because I am so tall that my toes hang off the edge when I set up in the machine. My three exercises are squats, 45 degree leg press, hacks, what would be a good alternative to the hacks. Also, how do you guys train calves it takes my calves 4-5 days to recover, so my calve day falls on different workout days than my ham. and quad day???
                      You know I have heard that in the past, if need be train them just once a week if you do not recouperate in time for leg day twice a week...
                      "That damn log book"

Comment

Yes I have been using DC's calf style training, my question is it okay to hit calves on my upper body day if they are not recovered for my ham./quad day? My bodyparts recover at differ. rates calves take the longest because this calve training is extremely brutal (calves usually take 4-5 days to recover), also my quad/hams after squats usually take an extra day to recover(5 days) as opposed to my biceps-they are ready in (3 days).

Comment

Working...
                        X