Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q on Bulking and bodyfat levels? Opinions please.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q on Bulking and bodyfat levels? Opinions please.

OK ya'll.
    For quite some time we (me and TLM) have been working out without any specific goal in mind like compteting. Wanting to get bigger, yes, but we weren't really sure if we wanted to actually get into competing or not.
    Well, we've both come to the decision that we do definitely want to compete in the future.
    Now, we are both in great shape and are pretty big compared to the general public but we both have a long way to go (muscle mass) before we could compete.

I'm just a hair under 6' tall and am hovering at 200lbs. right now. TLM is 5'7" and stays in the high 130's and on occasion ventures into the low 140's. Neither of us are REALLY lean but our bodyfat isn't out of control either (you can see our abs).
    We are going to have our bodyfat tested later this week or next week.

My question is this:

If you knew you had at least 1 - 1.5 years of pure bulking to do with muscle mass accumulation the only real goal, would you do so without regard to bodyfat %? Should we just concentrate on bulking and not worry about what our bodyfat levels get up too? Or should we try to keep bf levels relatively low to moderate? If so, what would ya'll consider a good range for us to stay in?
    Right now, DC training, we follow a carb cutoff and do low intensity cardio 2-3 times per week. Keep it up or drop it and just bulk like crazy?

All opinions AND experiences are welcome.

Thanks.
    CrossFit Champions
    Champions Combat Arts

IMO, You always watch your BF level with as you said cut offs and cardio, but I would continue to eat as much protein as my system could handle and never miss meals and never miss workouts, depending on age and time under your belt in the gym you could gain some serious mass, both of you, you must be on track all the time.

If you are 200 and you want to be say 240, well then you need to eat like a 275 lb guy, you must push yourself to that next level of eating and training...
    "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

dang, you always beat me IH
      My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable. I'm unna eat your style, i'm unna eat your style's kids.

Comment

i had a similar question here earlier today:

Comment

Originally posted by ncsports
          i had a similar question here earlier today:
          http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=3947
          Ok as I see why keep losing weight since you just came off a sickness, I would opt for getting healthy and my strength back and going right into gaining mass at the same time...
          "That damn log book"

Comment

What is the carb cutoff you guys speak of?

"Suckas get your weight up not your hate up"

Comment

for me 12-16% is the ideal bulking bodyfat zone. i just try to hover around 14% and if it gets too high i lower the carbs/junk a bit or too low i increase the carbs a bit. i do cardio year round regardless of if i am bulking or not and i really think doing moderate cardio 3 times a week while bulking both keeps you healthy and helps your body adapt to your new found mass better.
              It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Subliminal
                What is the carb cutoff you guys speak of?
                It is a diet philosophy of the DC system that basically goes like this. At a set time each day, usually ~6pm, one eats zero to trace carbs the rest of the day. This allows for an overnight reduction in glycogen levels and helps to keep bodyfat in check.

Comment

When I come off a cruise I am pretty lean. Not ripped, but I look decent. As I near the end of my blast I am bigger but I'm smoother as well. But not out of control. I can still see my abs, especially upper abs but I'm not as cut.

If you follow the DC eating plan I highly doubt that you will put on gobs of bodyfat. I eat tons of protein and keep my carbs on the low side and that works for me. Everyone is different.

However, that being said, I would not be so scared of gaining a bit of bodyfat that I put a halt to my progress. I used to do this: Eat well, get stronger, get bigger, smooth out a bit, get scared, stop eating, lather, rinse, repeat. Not anymore.

If you eat properly, train like an animal and do your cardio I think you'll be just fine. And personally I say when in doubt, EAT!
                  Through the best and the worst
                  The struggle and sacrifice.
                  For the true who've remained and the new blood.
                  Motivation, undying allegiance
                  Striving through the hardships and affliction.
                  Every drop of blood
                  Every bitter tear
                  Every bead of sweat
                  I live for this

Comment

and if your not drinkin greent tea then start
                    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable. I'm unna eat your style, i'm unna eat your style's kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Gollum
                      If you follow the DC eating plan I highly doubt that you will put on gobs of bodyfat. I eat tons of protein and keep my carbs on the low side and that works for me. Everyone is different.
                      Well said, as usual, words of wisdom from the freindly neighborhood Gollum...
                      "That damn log book"

Comment

Originally posted by heavy hitter
                        and if your not drinkin greent tea then start

I also like to stay on the Anarchy Stack while bulking as well. Well, sans CLA as it turns me into a human faucet.
                        "I got rocks on my hands just like a dope fiend."

Comment

This in no way is about getting fat to put on muscle mass--no way in hell. This is about doing everything in your power to keep bodyfat the same or leaner while you gain muscle 2x as fast as everyone around you. If your a fat pile of crap before you start this, then your most likely going to be a fat pile of crap after you gain 30lbs of muscle (but more likely leaner as the body tends to feed upon itself with massive muscle gain)---If your unhappy with yourself now then take off the fat you need to take off and then at that point build up using carb cuttoffs and cardio etc
                          IG is

@dante_trudel

Comment

I am actually a leaner pile of crap now than when I started and I'm forty pounds heavier. I'm also just slightly taller than a larger Oompa Loompa.
                            Through the best and the worst
                            The struggle and sacrifice.
                            For the true who've remained and the new blood.
                            Motivation, undying allegiance
                            Striving through the hardships and affliction.
                            Every drop of blood
                            Every bitter tear
                            Every bead of sweat
                            I live for this

Comment

Thanks everyone. Ya'll pretty much confirmed what we were intending on. Much appreciated.
                              CrossFit Champions
                              Champions Combat Arts

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎