Moderate Carb Diets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moderate Carb Diets

I was wondering if Skip or any of you other guys have tired the moderate carb diet approach to your shows and how did you like it? I have read on Chad's board Tom Prince likes this method and also George Farah. If any one of you guys have done it how did it far against the low carb method?

I have to go moderate carb or I get fat as fuck.
    I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

IMHO - I think it has more to do with quality of carb than quantity/moderate. To me, moderate is a relative term.

xcel
      Lift Smarter, not more
      60% Nutrition - 25% Workout - 10% Rest - 5% Supplementation

Comment

Let me be more specific, Tom and George's example went along these lines.
        16 weeks out: 450g Carb, 350g Protein, 35g Fat
        12 weeks out: 400g Carb, 375g Protein, 35g Fat
        8 weeks out: 350g carb, 400g Protein, 35g fat
        5 weeks out: 300g Carb, 400g Protein,35g Fat
        3 weeks out and up until the week of the show 250g Carb,425g Protein,35g fat.
        There is no cycling up and down as with the usual low carb protocol. I was wondering if one could get shredded using this type of diet and spare muscle at the same time since the carbs will allow you to hold on to the muscle. And how this compares to the low carb diet.

Comment

good question, Big Dub
          I 'm interested in seeing the answer to this as well.
          Bump

Comment

I agree in general terms with Raul's last response.

Let me put it into another perspective.

Homonunculus has stated something to the effect of: caloriie intake must = energy output. By maintaing "this balance," he's able to get ripped WITHOUT cardio.

When I was in Philly last week, I met up with a local bodybuilder, who had been at it for some time (and quite accomplished!). We talked a lot about different stuff, but MAINLY NUTRITION. For pre-contest, he keeps protein around 300g (and GROWS quite nicely on that amount) and eat GOOD carbs - long grain brown rice and oats. I use the same but include Yams - I asked him about those. He said those didn't work for pre-contest.

So If you assimilate all this info: "You" have a RMR or BMR of XXXX calories. If you're getting 300g (or 400g or whatever number you chose) of protein, and XXg of GOOD fats, the remainder's gotta come from somewhere!?!?

xcel
            Lift Smarter, not more

Comment

In my opinion, cardio is irreplacable. I do it not only to get vascular but also to expand my lungs are get them more efficient. I used to be fried after doing 20 rep heavy deads not because my muscles were giving away or because my energy dissapated, but because I was out of breath. I somehow believed that if I kept doing them my cardio vascular system would eventally get better. It probably did but how often does one do high rep deads? I, at least, do not do them often. So, I started doing cardio here and there and now 20 rep deads with some decent weight are not that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by RaulJimenez
                For me xcel, it is very hard to stay on a diet pre-contest that is low gi , specially brown rice, oats, yams.
                I didn't get into specifics like timing when to take carbs. I still believe that some simple carb (like dextrose) is useful immediately after a workout. One should not take in carbs after 6:00 PM (I don't categorize "green" veggies as carbs).

Since I'm somewhat ol' school, this whole GI thing is somewhat "Voodoo" I dont's believe that brown rice or oats are actually "low" Gi but more in the medium range. The are very a high polysaccharide (complex carb), which I believe to be of more importance than GI.

I believe your metabolism is stimulated by increased digestion necessary from complex carbs.

xcel
                Lift Smarter, not more

Comment

Originally posted by nikko
                  In my opinion, cardio is irreplacable.
                  Please don't read into my response that I wasn't promoting cardio. I was just repeating what Randy's thoughts/position was on the issue. And his position DOES make sense

If you're doing cardio and your nutritional intake is not high enough, YOU WILL lose muscle - that much is FACT.

xcel
                  Lift Smarter, not more

Comment

Hey xcelbeyond,
                    I am revising your signature:
                    Lift Smarter, not more
                    60% Nutrition - 25% Workout - 10% Rest - 5% Crazy Mojo

In regards to the discussion, I am very carb sensitive. So, all I have to do to shed some fat is adjust my protein:carb:fat ratio while keeping the caloric intake the same. I definatelly like carb cutoffs and I take almost all of my carbs in the first three meals. All latter meals are protein+fat+carb trace. After 6-8 pm depending on when I figure I will be going to sleep and if I have to workout, I complete cut carbs with the exception of salads and trace carbs (pretty much sugars) found in protein drinks. That seems to work for me. Now, I do not claim to be an expert in this area and some other system might work better. Nevertheless, this is not a chore for me so I just do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X