Do people assume you are stupid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people assume you are stupid?

I have noticed as I have gotten larger people seem to assume i am stupid based entirely on the fact i am a big guy. having barely spoken to me or just seeing me around people make assumptions about my intelligence based entirely on something that has no relationship with intelligence and this pisses me off. now i am not trying to toot my own horn or anything but i am in fact quite intelligent and well educated. i am not some loud mouth moron sporting a stringer tank in february either. i dress normally (well as normally as possible) and i am polite, soft spoken and generally courteous to people but still people assume i am a moron.

does this sort of thing ever happen to any of you? any ideas how to avoid this?
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

I scratch my belly, grunt, and say "where food is?"
    Works wonders. :dcchomp:
    Actually, I am a big guy, but not huge. 6'2" @ 240 is pretty big though.
    I am very well spoken and knowledgeable about subjects in which I am interested. I have never worried too much about ignorant people and I tend to have an air of intimidation in the 'smarts department' (my wife is worse). I just let my words carry the conversation and any misconceptions are usually crushed.
    You never have a second chance to make a first impression.
    I also tend to dress somewhat conservative. A polo shirt that clings to your pecs gets the same message across as a tank top. I now buy XXL GOLF shirts, fit like XXXL.
    If you dress like a 'big dumb jock', people will judge you on your appearance. I am trying to get this point across to my 14 yr old daughter now. Dress like a thug, be thought of as a thug.

BTW, there will ALWAYS be idiots who think that, if you are big, you are dumb. When you run into them. Stumble a bit and step on their toe. HARD!
    They'll still think you are dumb, but will stay the hell away from you.
    Lift big 2 get big
    TrueProtein.com Use discount code ctg001 for additional savings on already great prices
    mod at bodybuilding.com
    mod at iron-forum.com
    mod at melanoplanet.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??
    "Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes.
    Because, then you're a mile away, AND you've got their shoes"

Comment

yeah it's happend before, but it's doesn't get to me. sometimes it's even fun to go along with it and play with them. As how to fix it...try wearing glasses perception is a bitch!
      Trueprotein.com

Troponin Athlete

Lana's EggWhites "Get Hard, Stay Hard"

Comment

Yup...I am in your situation but probably not nearly as big (5' 9" 215) and it's usually whenever I meet people for the first time...it's pretty obvious to me that they are trying to "dumb down" how they talk because they assume I am stupid...

I don't really know how to deal with this...I guess you just have to wait until you are able to talk to them more

It's probably from the stigma associated with bodybuilders and that some people are simple intimidated by a large person

Funny how when I wear my glasses to the gym as opposed to contacts more people talk to me

Comment

LOL! Nemo, aren't you about 300 lbs? I dunno about other people, but I wouldn't make any other assumptions about a 300lb muscular guy other than "Man, that dude must hit the gym pretty hard LOL". I never really had a problem with being thought of as dumb, I guess I dress a little conservatively like ctgblue and people don't make that assumption about me. Like people said though, if you walk around in a wife beater and basketball shorts all day then people are probably going to think you're not the most intelligent one in the world. I guess you just live around some assholes, bro.

Comment

I am bummed, I am not very big and I never get this kind of shit, please send some of it my way, I would love it, plus everyone knows me here, I never have anything to say...
            "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

hehe no i dont walk around in an extra small wife beater all the time or that sort of thing. i dont even own one. i dress fairly conservatively in properly fitting clothes, i dont like tight stuff. i wear glasses too
              It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Human
                I am bummed, I am not very big and I never get this kind of shit, please send some of it my way, I would love it, plus everyone knows me here, I never have anything to say...
                you are plenty big in-human. im sure you just start gnawing on peoples forearms and they flee in terror before they get the chance to assume you are stupid.

Comment

I've had this happen to me a couple times...still don't get it though. Its mostly by women, so I think its there own insecurities or something they do to make themselves feel better. I'm not that big of a guy, I'm 6'4 and weigh around 220 - 230. Not big at all...but with boots on I think girls think i'm a giant or somehting. But here's a couple stories from last month.

My wife goes out of town, so my boy's say hey lets hit the club in the city tonight. So i'm all for it....get ready, dressed well and head out. I was having a great time and I see this girl walk up to me no hello no nothing and says "Are you a student". I'm like excuse me. She goes "are you a student"

Me: "No"
                  Broad: "What do you do"
                  Me: "Work?"
                  Broad: "Where?"
                  Me: "***** Corporation"
                  Broad: "What do you do there, what did you do in school"
                  Me: Formulation Development associate, BS biochemistry, MS in Biomedical Laboratory Sciences
                  Broad: "Do you have a business card"
                  Me: "Yeah, here"
                  Broad: "See my friends said you don't look very intelligent, but I thought you must go to school or something"
                  Me: "Oh" (WTF?!)
                  Broad: " Lets go find my friends on the dancefloor"
                  Me: "No, I'm going to stand here and look stupid, thanks. And can I have my card back"
                  Broad: Puzzled and walks away.

That's some retarded shit. But it gets better....next night. Again, no hello nothing....

Chic: (Flexes bicep) I work out 4 days a week and do cardio 5 days a week
                  Me: That's nice
                  Chic: I think its important to take care of yourself
                  Me: Oh
                  Chic: So where do you train?
                  Me: I don't work out, I think working out is gay. I've never lifted, waste of time.
                  Chic: (Puzzled and is looking at me as I walk away)

In one weekend I found out that I look like an idiot and that all I am is a big jock. Thanks...why did I go to school again??? lol

R

Comment

nemo, I grew up in the streets of Detroit, I never show any skin, well I have to wear shorts so I can sit and walk but I am always covered up, I would not say I was soft spoken but I really don't take any shit if it ever gets handed to me, I think I got my fill growing up...
                    "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

inhuman, i grew up/currently live a couple hours north of detroit so i know what you mean. by soft spoken i mean i am not loud or obnoxious not that i take shit from people.

raja, yep its usually women. often pudgy women. women seem to equate tall=big too

Comment

i took a lot of flak as a kid because i was always verrrrry skinny. i decided to do something about that. well it's been awhile know and i am a LOT larger than when i was a kid. if people do think i am dumb, they sure as hell don't say it to my face
                        My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable. I'm unna eat your style, i'm unna eat your style's kids.

Comment

They might think it but at 6'4" 280 I certainly don't hear it-plus most people know I'm a chef and with Rocco,Emeril and all the other clowns on TV people now think chefs are more than just stupid cooks-and yes I wear glasses and have grey hair both of which contribute to my overall "look of intelligence"-little do they know....
                          Livin' for the pump

Comment

I THINK WE CAN ALL THANK LOU FERRIGNO FOR THIS ONE GUYS, hahahahaha

Comment

Here's something to think about guys...

You might get a little frustrated with some people thinking you are dumb or slow because you are big. Well, women get that kind of treatment ALL THE TIME. It frustrates the hell out of me when some dipshit embarrassment to males (not men because having a penis does not make you a man) treats my wife, who is one of the most intelligent and thoughtful persons I have ever met, like she is stupid because she is female. Now, don't get me wrong. She holds her own and the ridiculous assumption is easily dismissed with the exception of the exceptionally dense guys.

Not getting on a high horse here, I'm just saying that if you really want to watch people get condescended, watch how most males treat most women. It's really pretty pathetic.
                              CrossFit Champions
                              Champions Combat Arts

Comment

Working...
                              X