A couple questions on reverse grip bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple questions on reverse grip bench

I did a search on here and some other boards to try and find the answer to these questions but was unsuccessful.I also googled it and found some pics but the form didn't look like what you guys would recommend. So as I was doing a pushing workout tonight anyway I tried these on the smith just to see what it was like.

1.How far should the hand spacing be? I was going fairly wide(middle finger on ring) I believe and I was tucking my elbows in
    2.Where should the bar be brought down to?(I was going down to lower sternum as in a close grip bench)
    3.Is it normal to have some shoulder discomfort the first few times this exercise is used(don't have any existing problems right now but right shoulder was feeling kind of weird)

Thanks a lot everyone...sorry for the length of post
    Last edited by InTraining; 07-23-2004, 12:53 AM.

Originally posted by InTraining
    I did a search on here and some other boards to try and find the answer to these questions but was unsuccessful.I also googled it and found some pics but the form didn't look like what you guys would recommend. So as I was doing a pushing workout tonight anyway I tried these on the smith just to see what it was like.

1.How far should the hand spacing be? I was going fairly wide(middle finger on ring) I believe and I was tucking my elbows in
    2.Where should the bar be brought down to?(I was going down to lower sternum as in a close grip bench)
    3.Is it normal to have some shoulder discomfort the first few times this exercise is used(don't have any existing problems right now but right shoulder was feeling kind of weird)

Thanks a lot everyone...sorry for the length of post
    1- About 4" wider than shoulders.

2- Just under your nips.

3- Well you should feel it in your Triceps but you might be extending up to far at the end on the movement, let your ass hang off the bench so you can push up your Pelvic so you can pinch your shoulder blades to the bench, keep your shoulders on the bench...
    "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Originally posted by In-Human
      1- About 4" wider than shoulders.

2- Just under your nips.

3- Well you should feel it in your Triceps but you might be extending up to far at the end on the movement, let your ass hang off the bench so you can push up your Pelvic so you can pinch your shoulder blades to the bench, keep your shoulders on the bench...

Thanks a lot In-Human..can't wait to try these out again!

Comment

They are a favorite of mine and a lot of other people InTraining, you will love them when executed properly and with good form.

Comment

They are good but I do feel it in my delts b/c of the hand positioning. They are a great change from close grips and will make your tri's sore!

TH
          For all your Trueprotein supplement needs (www.trueprotein.com), use this code (SER742) and receive 5% off your purchase. Save 10% on orders 16lbs or more!

Comment

It felt uncomfortable for me at first too. It's all about your hand placement and grip........I only wrap my pointer and middle finger around the bar. It really puts too much stress on my wrist and shoulder if I wrap my pinkie and ring finger around also.
            www.trueprotein.com........best protein around!!

Comment

Yup, you just want enough to support the bar. Anything else is unnecessary

Comment

You must let the bar sit diagonal across your palm so you can only grap the bar with your thumb and first two fingers, if you try to use your whole hand to grasp you will surely damage your wrist, this is a lot of pressure on your wrist anyways when you get up there in weight...
                "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Working...
                X