deadlift form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deadlift form

I was wondering how u guys do deadlifts. after each rep do u reset and do the next rep. or do u guys do it in one continuous motion, with a slight touch at the bottom of the rep and no reseting of positioning.
    :showoff: Pain is weakness leaving the body – and strength training is the antidote. :showoff:

5% off trueprotein.com order when U use the discount code erl633

i've always gotten the best strength gains by resetting at the bottom instead of just a slight touch.

Comment

I jus touch and continue. When i start i grip underhand overhand and set my feet shoulder width apart. I look almost as high up as i can see, keep my back arched if possible and push through the floor. Then im just repping them out, when it touches i pull.

Comment

I touch very stlightly to not get any momentum from the floor. Like asim I look up and I never look down. When I use to look in the mirror to check my form is when my form got off if Im not looking up my back tends to want to start rounding. I also use a mixed stance not all the way sumo but a little wider then conventional with my hands using alternate grip inside of my legs. This seems to work a lot better for me and feels more natural, I tried conventional and I could never get the right feel with it.

Comment

I agree with leaddogg and pause each rep so I am starting each rep from a dead stop. Coming from a powerlifting back ground it always made more sense since getting it off the floor was (for me) the hardest part of the exercise. I've also done the light touch as well but if you don't touch both sides evenly it can really throw you off. Once I was doing bent rows and one side hit the floor I felt the weight shift and I had back problems for almost a year after that. I shudder to think what could have happened if it was with more weight like in a deadlift. (this coming from the bungee jumping benchpresser too-lol)

Comment

Deadlifts should ALWAYS be an individual lift, one lift then another , not rapid fire reps. By doing fast reps your gonna break your form and find an injury.
            always maintain form!
            SweatMachine
            (pronounced: Swet-Mow-Sheen)

That which we manifest lies before us.

Comment

i ALWAYS reset between each rep
              It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Comment

thanks guys that really will help me in the gym.
                :showoff: Pain is weakness leaving the body – and strength training is the antidote. :showoff:

5% off trueprotein.com order when U use the discount code erl633

Comment

Not to be the bad egg here bad how the hell are you resetting in between each rep? When I deadlift something like 450 for 8 reps, it takes all my focus just to get ready to hold onto that thing for 8 solid reps, controlled... but touch and go. I can't imagine setting it down, relaxing your hands, then ripping it back up again off the floor... Personally I feel I would be far more prone to injury doing it that way. Don't get me wrong, I agree with with controlled reps\strict form... but stopping it on the floor for a second or two in between each rep doesn't sound logical to me. If I just did 7 reps, and try to pull the 8th rep from a stand still off the ground, my back is gonna fall on the floor and laugh in my face. Just my opinion.

Comment

james,

the reason people reset between each rep when deadlifting is that there is a tendency for people to lose the appropriate arch in their lower back (ie their lower back flattens out) and often their hips are up too high. the point of the reset is to make sure the hips are lowered and the lower back is good to go. if you try to start another rep without doing this their is potential to injure yourself good
                    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Comment

Yep Yep.....What I believe (and therefore what is true) is that if you deadlift touch and go you must get your ass down and get that back arched cos what I see a lot of guys do is as the set progresses every rep becomes more and more like a stiff legged deadlift....which with max DL weights is not a good thing....
                      Massive G
                      Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

exactly FH, welcome to a hellish lower back injury

Comment

Originally posted by FrigginHuge
                          Yep Yep.....What I believe (and therefore what is true)
                          Ya gotta love this!

Personally I touch and go and as soon as my back starts to lose it's form I'm done. I won't let the injury happen if I always watch my form. But maybe I'll give the reset a try to see how I like it.

jim
                          ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
                          Good luck
                          Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
                          SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
                          TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

Yea I understand, definatly potential for back injury if your not very careful about form as the set goes on. I might try to reset, but I think touch and go is very useful if done correctly.

Comment

my biggest reason for the reset is to reset my grip as that is where i lose my deadlift first. but also, the reseting helps in another way by breaking the momentum of the eccentric/ concentric chain. it's similar to a complete pause at the bottom of a bench press. it is much harder to move the weight from a dead stop than it is to just touch and go.

Comment

Working...
                              X