Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the "flat," seated hammer press a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the "flat," seated hammer press a problem?

I know the flat barbell bench is a major injury risk in most of your guys opinion. Is the seated flat hammer a problem. In other words, is it the angle of the lift that's dangerous or is it something else?

Originally posted by Clemente
    I know the flat barbell bench is a major injury risk in most of your guys opinion. Is the seated flat hammer a problem. In other words, is it the angle of the lift that's dangerous or is it something else?
    That Hammer Press machine if you are talking bout the seated one and not the lying one, it does still put some serious pressure on your rotators, but it will work your pecs, if you have to do it go higher reps 15-30RP...
    "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

I do the seated hammer smith press. Prefer it over a flat bench anyway. Being in a fitness gym means your limited with equipment that can be used.

We got a decline bench but i cant remember if its cool in DC methods. Never really thought about it cause im already lower pec heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by asim
        I do the seated hammer smith press. Prefer it over a flat bench anyway. Being in a fitness gym means your limited with equipment that can be used.

We got a decline bench but i cant remember if its cool in DC methods. Never really thought about it cause im already lower pec heavy.
        Declines are fine, and the Lying Hammer Decline can put a lot of pressure on your shoulders to, so you need to adjust your body by sliding up or down to get that right feeling.

Remember there is no exercise that DC says you can't do, just that Flats do cause a lot of injury, and he likes to stick with mostly compound exercises...
        "That damn log book"

Comment

Aight cool. Man i gotta get out this place and get to a real gym.

My dad was sayin he could build a gym for me since we have a huge back yard. But he said i'd be stuck in the house all the time. I'd still like to have my own gym though.

Comment

Originally posted by asim
            Aight cool. Man i gotta get out this place and get to a real gym.

My dad was sayin he could build a gym for me since we have a huge back yard. But he said i'd be stuck in the house all the time. I'd still like to have my own gym though.
            Its best that you get a membership at some decent gym, this program needs a lot of different eqiupment just to get your program going and you need to have new things to move too when you top out or stagnate...
            "That damn log book"

Comment

Come to Edinburgh and try to find a decent gym. This is actually the best one. The other gym, Marcos across town is a powerlifting gym, dunno how much equipment they've got.

We got alot, just stuff u hardly want. Its like the gym is loaded with a free weight part, then they got the machines that use pins and a stack, then theres air pressure and electronic. And alot of cardio equipment.

Just gotta do what you gotta do. When i move to London or somethin i'll be at a better gym. Or even when i move to the usa

Comment

Originally posted by FrigginHuge
                Am I the only guy around here that DOESN'T like the Hammer chest machine's?...Can never get the right feel for them...always feel way too much rotator cuff activity

No i do get that feeling, ive tried adjusting the seat soo many times i just cant get it. But ive got nothing else to work with so i do what i have to.

I feel better when i lower the seat all the way down and the bars are sort of the upper pec region. When i put the seat up and the bars are near the lower pecs it feels like a greater strain on my shoulders. I do push in the 15 rep of more area so it feels like less strain on the rotator cuffs. I try to look down and concentrate on squeezing my pecs. Ive never concentrated on squeezing a muscle before really but with the hammer smith i have to .

Comment

Frigginhuge,

I'm very new to DC training and I'm open to anything, but I never liked hammer press machines of any kind. Its not that they are painful or anything, just that I always flat benched and was biased towards that because I thought it was "best."

Fact is, though, I've never gotten past a 300 lb bench and I was only that strong for a brief stretch this past November.

I'm putting myself in Dante's hands now and reserving judgement for 6-12 months from now.

All the best,

Clemente

Comment

I like and use a lot of peices for chest but I will admit I prefer over anything the flex machine press(seated/flat). Locks you in place w/ no cheating and no stress(for me anyway) in the shoulders. I did the hammer today and it absolutely fried my delts more than anything else?

TH
                    For all your Trueprotein supplement needs (www.trueprotein.com), use this code (SER742) and receive 5% off your purchase. Save 10% on orders 16lbs or more!

Comment

Try this next time anyone thats having trouble with hammer presses of any kind. Sit your ass as far back as it can go, I mean press it against the pad hard or the metal beam, raise your sternum upward and pinch your shoulderblades inward (like when your doing a rear double bicep)--and at that point press back against the pad now with your back and stay in that position the whole entire set. Use your feet and leverage to keep you in that position (sternum high, ass pressed back hard, and shoulder blades inward). On ever single rep, your breathing in on the eccentric part of the rep so your chest should be filling with air and raising anyway on the downswing, but when the handles are coming back down to the rubber stoppers check yourself on every rep and make sure your back in that position when you push forward again -this takes a millisecond and Im actually checking my position right before the handles hit the rubber stops so as soon as they hit i push the positive again. Ive had to fix alot of guys on these over the years and if you can get them to stay in the rear double bicep pose position on these they work extraordinarily well but if you flatten your chest and especially at the top push with your front delts, your waiting for injury to happen
                      IG is

@dante_trudel

Comment

Originally posted by Doggcrapp
                        Try this next time anyone thats having trouble with hammer presses of any kind. Sit your ass as far back as it can go, I mean press it against the pad hard or the metal beam, raise your sternum upward and pinch your shoulderblades inward (like when your doing a rear double bicep)--and at that point press back against the pad now with your back and stay in that position the whole entire set. Use your feet and leverage to keep you in that position (sternum high, ass pressed back hard, and shoulder blades inward). On ever single rep, your breathing in on the eccentric part of the rep so your chest should be filling with air and raising anyway on the downswing, but when the handles are coming back down to the rubber stoppers check yourself on every rep and make sure your back in that position when you push forward again -this takes a millisecond and Im actually checking my position right before the handles hit the rubber stops so as soon as they hit i push the positive again. Ive had to fix alot of guys on these over the years and if you can get them to stay in the rear double bicep pose position on these they work extraordinarily well but if you flatten your chest and especially at the top push with your front delts, your waiting for injury to happen
                        Great response. Seems to me that its easier to stick with this form if perhaps your grip is more medium and not as wide as possible. Am I wrong here?

Comment

Close or medium. I can't maintain it when I put my hands out wide...that puts alot of stress on my shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by Swellin
                            Close or medium. I can't maintain it when I put my hands out wide...that puts alot of stress on my shoulders.
                            I must admit I love the Hammer chest machines but they also love shoulders, you have find the perfect seat height to make it not so much on your shoulders, but its inevitable that your shoulders will get worked on all chest movements...
                            "That damn log book"

Comment

Bump
                              "This sport is about extremes - using weights you havent used previously, taking in amounts of food to build greater muscle mass-in amounts you never have done previously, & doing the cardio to keep you at an acceptable offseason training bodyfat that keeps you happy." Dante

For supplements, visit http://www.trueprotein.com & use this
                              DISCOUNT CODE - THA778
                              for a 5% Discount
                              :wavey:

Comment

Working...
                              X