Injured my finger, advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injured my finger, advice needed

On monday night, I hurt the tip of my right hand pinky finger making a catch in a softball game. The tip immediately turned black and blue and swelled up like my belly after a pizza feast.

I went an orthopoediist near my office yesterday and I think the guy was a quack. His office was a mess and he looked alot like Marlon Brando. Marlon Brando now, not Marlon Brando in the Godfather.

Anyway, they took X-rays and basically saw an abnormality that he said could have indicated a fracture, but couldn't "prove" it one way or another. The thing is, I've broken this finger at least twice in my life, once in hoops and once in football, so I'm not sure if what he saw has been there all along.

He gives me a splint and says I shouldn't do anything athletic that involves my hand for at least a month.

That sounded like WAY to long an amount of time for a finger.

I was just getting back in the gym and I don't want to have another layoff. I would imagine that rack deads/chins/pulls might be compromised a little, but most of the other stuff should be fine.

It really just the tip of the finger that's hurt, and I'm inclined to try to work through this.

Anyone have any advice or history in working around this kind of injury? At the very least, I figure I should be able to work legs and most arm, shoulder and chest exercises. The back stuff, however, could be a problem.

I've seen some of these "hook" straps out there, and I'm wondering if that might help me out. Any thoughts?

I have. I play catcher, so these finger injuries are real common to me. Those sprains at the bottom of the index finger and thumb are the worse.

Anyway clemente, i don't think hooks and stuff are a NECCESSITY. You can have them if you don't want to aggravate the finger again(which i think is quite hard to do knowing you'll already have this mindset of not doing anything too crazy to hurt that part of the finger again). Just try this: when you grip a barbell of bar or something else, grip it real hard and get past the initial pain. Complete your set thinking bout the weight and perfect form, controlled fashion etc and you'd forget that your pinky was hurt.

Its not too bad that its the pinky. If its really in pain, Hook up with the machines that allow you to like grip it with without the pinky playing that much of an influence.. hope you can picture those kinda grips. Its like on mahcines like the hammer strength chest or shoulder press machine. Hope i helped! lol
    Consistency is the key

Protein? Use this for a 5% discount at www.trueprotein.com: LVP931

Comment

Lionel,

Thanks. I'm set to do some rack chins and deads this evening. I bet that if I go "underhand" with my right hand (the injured one) on the deads, with straps, I should probably be OK.

I had always been taught to press (bench, etc) with the meaty part of my hand, so I doubt the tip of my pinky will be an issue.

I have alot of respect for tghose that wear the "tools of ignorance." I used to pitch a little and always felt bad for you guys. All guts, no glory.

-Clemente

Comment

Thanks for the respect bro! Lol, yeah(though i shouldn't say this cos i'm a catcher myself). Its true that we do the dirty job and seldom get 'glamour' cos we're hiding behind the mask and pads. When watching a game the catcher is most of the time the most unnoticed guy on the field. Nobody can see his expression and he does his job quietly. Even if he calls a good game and the pitcher has a 1 or 2 hitter, the pitcher is the one who gets recognition(not taking away any credit from the excellent guys who own the mounds).

You pitch softball or baseball?
        Consistency is the key

Protein? Use this for a 5% discount at www.trueprotein.com: LVP931

Comment

Originally posted by Clemente
          Lionel,

Thanks. I'm set to do some rack chins and deads this evening. I bet that if I go "underhand" with my right hand (the injured one) on the deads, with straps, I should probably be OK.

I had always been taught to press (bench, etc) with the meaty part of my hand, so I doubt the tip of my pinky will be an issue.

I have alot of respect for tghose that wear the "tools of ignorance." I used to pitch a little and always felt bad for you guys. All guts, no glory.

-Clemente
          Sorry to hear that, at least you had pizza, anyway, man I think you can leave your finger out of some of these exercises, but it is gonna pulsate from the blood flow when you stop your set, man I would shop around the gym and for a while hit exercises that are not going to interfere with repair of that sucker.

Hope it heals fast...
          "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

In-human,

NO! That was just an analogy about the pizza, lol . . . I've been eating pretty clean. Its amazing how fast 20 lbs of whey protein can disappear . . .

Lionel,

I played baseball growing up, even a little in college. I pitched in high school and played the OF, but I didn't have enough command to pitch in college, so I was more of a RF/DH type.

I play in a cometitive softball league, but its modified fast-pitch, so there's not much "value added" at the pitcher position. I play the OF.

Thank you both for the advice. I'll see how tonight goes. Its frustrating as heck, but frustration/stress probably elevate cortisol levels, so I think its best I try to look on the bright side

Comment

Working...
            X