No announcement yet.

Ever wonder if you should Quit lifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever wonder if you should Quit lifting?

I have been lifting steady and hard since-Jan 2001-And to tell you the truth I still don't get asked if I am a body Builder. I look like I lift weights but I also could be just a big farm kid-I am but that has nothing to do with it. I schedule my life around gym time-and meals. I have spent over $200 a week for months on food. I have altered my endocrine system with aproximatley 5 different cycles. (Hopefully I can come back to normal) I spend almost all my time thinking and working on getting bigger and stronger. I will never be a pro. And honestly I will probably never even win my class in a show. Why do I keep doing this? I could make a ton of money if I used my talents and time in some other manner. Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it. I guess the day I say no-That is the day I will quit.

Log Book PIMP! It ain't a crime if it likes it!

Originally posted by rugbythug
    I spend almost all my time thinking and working on getting bigger and stronger.
    This is why you don't quit.

This is also why alot of us don't quit. Even though I'm older now, I still want to get as large as I can.
    No shows, no girlfriend or wife to impress or keep happy, ............................................just me.

that's why
    jim
    ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
    Good luck
    Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
    SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
    TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

Bro, I started lifting when I was about 17 and went straight through to about 22. I was able to get myself pretty big and strong during those years and I did it naturally. The biggest regret in my life is when I decided to hang it up for almost 6 years because I got tired of it and felt like it was not a priority anymore. I ended up turning into a soft panzi ass sitting behind a desk with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. What made me decide to get back in the gym? Honestly, the reason is so stupid, it was because I busted my girlfriend of 5 years sleeping with one of my best friends. I had something to prove to myself and everyone around me at this point. At that I completely reevaluated my life and swore I was going to live it on my own terms from here on out and do everything that I wanted to do. I was not going to give up the gym or my dreams for some stupid girl again!!

As for not having the potential to be a pro bodybuilder as you said, I don’t know if I do or don’t. Honestly, I don’t believe in setting limits on your goals. I just work hard day in and day out and let my dedication lead me to where it may in all aspects of my life. You should never say I can’t accomplish something. If you do, you are only living the self fulfilling prophecy of failure. In the end when I am on my deathbed I want to be able to look back on my life without regrets and say I gave it my best shot. Sometimes living life the safe and easy way can seem nice when you are doing it but what fulfillment is there in that. I don’t want to look back and say I never took chances or did not chase my dreams. What does this have to do with the gym? The gym is in our hearts bro or we would not be here. Don’t let your passions slip aside for other things and wind up living an unfulfilling life!! Bottom line is when you die you can’t take money or goods with you. The only thing that you have is your memories and the accomplishments you have made in life.
      I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

Amen bigp.
        Consistency is the key

Protein? Use this for a 5% discount at www.trueprotein.com: LVP931

Comment

Hahaha, sometimes but never that seriously.

I'm 180lbs, with 14' arms and about 17% bf. I'm surprised that some people even ask if I go to the gym.

I would be completely content with being a hard 200lbs but at this rate, that's awhile off!!

I guess I've never seriously considered quitting because I enjoy lifting. Plus, whenever I try and take a week off I start getting really angry - I need to take my frustration out in the gym.
          Ever stop to think and forget to start again?

Comment

I love to lift heavy shit and eat, I was a fat pig of over 320 lbs when I graduared HS and I wanted to change my life, and I did with the gym being my top priority, I have been lifting for 25 years and I think I missed 2 weeks total in that time.

I really don't know what I would do with myself if I didn't workout, I do it for me and thats it, noone else, its just my satisfaction to lift weights...
            "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

It is really during those testing times when you just realize that you're not growing and making visible gains anymore. That tummy is getting a little to soft and flabby and you just don't know how to get out of this shit. You may think all the more you should continue working out but you just spend too much time brooding over this and wondering if all you have done in the past how many years have been worth it.

You know how i get outta this, i just read flex! lol. really. You just look at those freaks in the mags and there, the fire is reignited again to wanna aim for that kinda physique. Another one is to treat a gym buddy as an enemy and strive to be able to grow bigger and faster than him. Being in singapore, there are also several age groups competitions and just by looking at the photos and seeing how pathtic some of them are, just makes me wanna continue to bring up my physique to the next level and show them that your body can take the gold anytime.

But overall, like bigp3 said, i still think its the sense of accomplishment that drives me on. Just being able to finish the widowmaker and slumping on the floor; doing closeegrip and skull crushes till you can't even remove your shirt and all those ass to the grass training just makes me stronger everytime enter the gym. That should be the case for everybody out there. Never ever give up.
              Consistency is the key

Protein? Use this for a 5% discount at www.trueprotein.com: LVP931

Comment

Rugby...don't get discouraged by the thought that you may never turn pro... or win your class at a contest...not many people get to that point.

As for the money you spend...well you would otherwise be spending that money on something else so you might as well spend it on something that you can see and feel you know.

I take it you are a pretty young guy. I was pretty young when I started lifting (15) and have been pretty much non-stop for 22 years .
                I can tell you very simply why I do it...and perhaps you can relate a little .

I do it because I love the pump in the gym...and the sense of accomplishment. I practically get wood when I grab some big ass dumbells...because I OWN them!!!! (Not literally but figuratively).

I think as you get older you will see that your training and accomplishments in the gym will create confidence that will spill over into every aspect of your life.

I am sure that many of the guys/girls here at IM that are in their mid thirties and beyond can vouch for this-it is pretty damn cool to have people give you comps on your physique "for your age". I look around at non-gym people my age and I see big sacks of fat or beanpoles....and I am damn glad I am not one of them!

I still think I am 22 or something...and that is the result of being in the gym.

Don't get frustrated or start thinking yourself down about things bro....sounds like you are the typical hard gainer-just like me. Strick with it man..the gains will come.

Do this because of the way it makes you feel....not always about how you look.

One more thing.....about maximizing your physique and possibly being a pro or winning your class...

I met Ronnie Coleman at the O in 1995....he was in great condition, but he was kinda small compared to other competitiors. If memory serves correct he did not crack the top 15.....and look at the guy circa 1998.
                Dude is unbeatable.

Don't think about throwing in the towel yet man...you still have alot more potential to tap into.
                [email protected] http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
                Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

Well, you've got some well meaning heartfelt posts there with some good motivational advice.Now here's mine...
                  My advice to you is this:Stop working out.Stop eating like you're a bodybuilder and just go back to eating like a regular guy.Do what normal people do....Whatever the fuck that is.Go out.Drink.Don't think twice about your physique or anything to do with bodybuilding.It's not for you.....And that's OK.Nothing wrong with that.One of two things is going to happen here.1)Either you'll enjoy being a regular Joe, doing regular guy stuff, not living such a constricted lifestyle or 2)You'll wake up one day, look in the mirror and see a physique that looks like it belongs on a flabby pre-pubescent child and think to yourself 'fuck this shit.I do not wanna look like this'
                  Bodybuilding is the ultimate 'cause and effect' activity on earth IMO. And anyone in here (including me) has EXACTLY the physique they deserve to have at this point in time.I say this because their/your/my physiques are a direct correlation to what we've been doing over the past weeks/months/years... in the gym,in the kitchen,etc....When you accept this and become completely accountable for where you are hopefully you'll realize that you are in complete control over this whole thing.
                  I wanna encourage you to set some short term ACHIEVABLE goals.Don't worry about the pros...winning weight classes, or even where the rest of us guys here are with our bodybuilding.None of that matters.I can tell you that when I weighed 200lbs I couldn't imagine being as big as I am now...wouldn't have even entered my brain....but I could picture myself perhaps 10lbs bigger...Do you see where I'm goin with this?
                  You're doing great and you've got a passion for working out which puts you ahead of 99% of the guys out there who can't even drag their asses to the gym I think you've just got to develop a more positive mindset and try to enjoy the process more.All the best

FH
                  Last edited by Massive G; 06-23-2004, 02:19 AM.
                  Massive G
                  Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

I think I can relate to this.....I started lifting after I had my first kid. I was always skinny and could never gain weight. (I was only 98 # before I got pregnant! And to top that off....only gained 25# throughout my pregnancy). Anyway, after a year of lifting I entered my first show. Placed 2nd in Novice (of out 8 women. I was the lightest one). I went on to compete 3 more times and still placed only 2nd. I talked with several judges to see what I could do to place better. "Get bigger....you got the condition-just put on more size." How? I'm lifting heavy already. "Go on drugs." Well, that wasn't an option for me so I decided that was it........A year later-I moved to Colorado. I didn't workout for almost 6 years!!!! I just got back last year and I don't know why I ever left the gym. It's my passion! I love it and I don't think I will ever stop. Granted, I don't think I will ever go pro either-but am thinking of competing again just for the fun of it! Rugby....if your heart is still in this....this is where you belong! Hang in there big guy! And hope to see you on stage one day soon again!

Comment

FH, Now that was a good post!

jim:rocker:
                      ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
                      Good luck
                      Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
                      SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
                      TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

right on FH that is kind of what happened to me during my 6 year layoff
                        I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

Thanks guys.I agree wholeheartedly.Good post FH
                          Massive G
                          Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

in 29 years of trainng I have NEVER thought I should quite...NEVER EVER!
                            SweatMachine
                            (pronounced: Swet-Mow-Sheen)

That which we manifest lies before us.

Comment

there are a couple things i would like to say in regards to this post.

1) Bodybuilding is all about improvement. Chances are you will never reach a point where you are 100% satisfied with your size/strength and you will always be working towards achieving something.

2) Bodybuilding is a life style but not a life. What I have seen in many sports, including bodybuilding, is some people will completely immerse themselves into it and let the rest of their life turn to shit. Getting up to 270 or whatever it is you want is quite the accomplishment but if that alone is all you ever manage to do with your life it is pretty sad. It's all about balance.

3) It took me a couple years of working out just to look like a normal guy. I have the frame of a 6' girl and so it took me a lot of work. If this shit wasn't hard everyone would be huge and you would never get any sense of accomplishment from it.
                              It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X