High GI carbs vs. Low GI carbs Postworkout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High GI carbs vs. Low GI carbs Postworkout

Alright, Dante wanted some formal discussions so here it is. There are alot of knowledgeable ppl on this board so I'm curious at to what some of you have to say. This is something I have been looking into for the past couple of days. When I mean High GI, I'm speaking of course about dextrose/malto and oatmeal for Low GI. I was wondering exactly how each one applies to weight training given that alot have come to say that weight-training is not a glycogen-depleting form of exercise. Not sure how true this is but should make for an interesteing discussion.

Who says that weight training is not a glycogen depleting form of exercise? I thought that's exactly what it is.
    Massive G
    Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

First off, I honestly don’t see how anyone could say that weight lifting is not a glycogen depleting form of exercise. Anaerobic exercise uses as process called glycolysis to convert stored glycogen into ATP for energy expenditure by the muscle. What this means in English is that your body’s first mechanism for fueling the muscle in high intensity exercise is to burn stored carbohydrates. During longer duration exercise when excess oxygen is available your body will begin using a process called oxidation and may begin to use fat stores as a source of fuel instead of glycogen, this process typically begins after 2 minutes of continuous exercise. This is why your body could not sustain intense exercise continuously for hours on end since oxidation would not be able to take place.

As for when to take in high GI carbs the only times that I could see that would be prudent to do so would be when your body is in a glycogen depleted state such as post workout. Taking in high GI carbs at any time when glycogen stores are full or close to capacity would be asking for fat storage. High GI carbs hit your bloodstream at a rapid rate causing the body to release insulin due to the excess. When glycogen stores are already full this will cause the carbs to be deposited as fat. Low GI carbs on the other hand hit your bloodstream over a matter of hours. This slow release causes less of an insulin spike if any at all and reduces the chance of fat storage by your body. Insulin control is the key to keeping the body fat off.
      I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

Yup I'm trying to figure out what others are doing and how they are reponding. Everyone is different and will respond differently. The point I want to focus on is the adipose part of it. Will that spillover occur with High GI vs. Low?

FH not as depleting when compared to, say, someone running a 15K marathon or the like.

Comment

Good post bigp3, you are becoming a very valuable member of th boards...not to mention our mod! lol

Comment

bigp3. i'd like to correct you a little. The body's first mechanism in fueling high intensity workouts is the utilization of the atp molecules in the muscles. Coupled with the presence of creatine, this energy system normally provides max 30s(for a highly yrained athlete) of maximum muscle contraction.

It is after exhausting all available atp stores that the body starts using glycogen stores in the muscles first. This breakdown of glycogen would be involved in a process called anaerobic respiration. This is the production of atp without oxygen and this produces a byproduct called lactic acid. Why doesn't the body use oxygen you may ask. Then we wouldn't have those intense burns etc. This is cos the heart and lungs take time to get used to the sudden large demand of atp when you're in the midst of a set. Producing atp through aerobic respiration is also a longer process(undergoes krebs cycle, electron transport chain etc) than anaerobic respiration and the atp would not be made available as quickly as the latter.

Thus, high intensity workouts would last as long as the amount of lactic acid currently being built up would not interfere in the chemical pathways of muscular contraction. When failure is reached and your set ends, do you notice all the heavy breathing and stuff that you don't even have during the set? Ah.. this is aerobic respiration taking place. Oxygen is being hauled into the lungs to quickly rid the body of the lactic acid and produce as much atp as possible in the short time frame before this mad man tries to kill himself again. Aerobic respiration takes place with glycogen stores and fats as the main energy sources. The lactic acid is being converted into pyruvate which undergoes the krebs cycle where lotsa good stuff happens to produce much more atp molecules than anaerobic respiration atp molecules!

On the other hand, lower intensity exercises enable aerobic respiration to take place as the demand for atp is not as high as during high intensity and the body has time to acclimitize to the increasing energy needs. This is also when fat is broken down to provide fuel.

Hope its not too difficult to comprehend! Put it as simply as i can.
            Consistency is the key

Protein? Use this for a 5% discount at www.trueprotein.com: LVP931

Comment

Originally posted by speedR
              The point I want to focus on is the adipose part of it. Will that spillover occur with High GI vs. Low?
              As everyone here knows, the primary aim of having dex &/or malto post-workout is to create an an insulin spike to refill glycogen stores which were depleted during the workout. It also creates an anabolic environment, decreases cortisol and aids in recovery.
              If too many High-GI carbs are taken in post-workout, then those carbs will be burnt off the next morning when you do your cardio.
              The cardio not only takes care of any spill over of carbs, but also gets the blood circulating and helps with recovery.
              "This sport is about extremes - using weights you havent used previously, taking in amounts of food to build greater muscle mass-in amounts you never have done previously, & doing the cardio to keep you at an acceptable offseason training bodyfat that keeps you happy." Dante

For supplements, visit http://www.trueprotein.com & use this
              DISCOUNT CODE - THA778
              for a 5% Discount
              :wavey:

Comment

So how would someone know how much glycogen they need? Before spill over occures? LBM X ??

Log Book PIMP! It ain't a crime if it likes it!

Comment

BigDownUnder, Is it not true that "overspill" that is not used by the liver is catabolized to Carbon Dioxide and water for energy for ATP formation.

What ever Glucose is not used in the absorptive state or stored in the liver or skeletal muscle will enter adipose tissue where it is turned into Triacyglycerols and then would they not be added with some proteins and lipids and then they enter the blood as VLDL, do I have this correct?.

I would think that if you are not carb depleated you would not burn this "overspill", what do you think?...
                  "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

rugbythug, Average guy is 400-500 grams in skeketal muscle and 80-100 in your liver...
                    "That damn log book"

Comment

I'm a big fan of the malto/dex mix.

I've tried a lot of different approaches...that's my fav.
                      Where the world's elite athletes get their supplements:

www.trueprotein.com

BW

Comment

I too am a fan of ingesting 60 grams or so of malto/dextrose post w/o...actually I drink it down with a set to go.

Lionel...are you sure that muscle glycogen is what is used in glycolysis?

My biochem class 10 years ago we were taught that the glycogen used is stored in the liver...glycogen in the muscle is one step away from actually being a fuel source.
                        Just curious man ( I could have been taught wrong).
                        [email protected] http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
                        Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

Originally posted by rugbythug
                          So how would someone know how much glycogen they need? Before spill over occures? LBM X ??
                          We typically can only store about a pound of glycogen.....a well trained BBer with 200lbs lean body mass may be able to store a little more than that.

How much would be burned as fuel in an average w/o? I have no idea.
                          [email protected] http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
                          Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

SuperSport, It would depend on how intense your training is, your metabolism, bodyweight, and of course your storage that you have at that time, on how much you burn during exercise...
                            "That damn log book"

Comment

If I remember correctly the liver can story up to 3 times its weight in glycogen. I coulb be wrong about the numbers I would have to check to be sure. I also do know that your body is very receptive to carbs during the couple hours post training and worrying about spillover during this time is probably not something I would put to high on my list of things to be concerned about.
                              I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

Working...
                              X