No announcement yet.

Squat/Quad Question. DCers please read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squat/Quad Question. DCers please read!

I've been lifting for 10+ years mostly tagging along with the spouse, HATING squats. The Munster found DC training about 6 months ago & we've scrapped the old stuff & been lifting heavy. I hated squats because I wasn't going low & they killed my knees. Now that we're going deep I love them & have been going up in weight steadily.

The question/dilemma: My back side (butt) is much stronger than my quads & I have a hard time feeling the workout in my quads at all. I feel that my quads are holding me back in the weight I could be squatting. The Munster is sore all over his legs the two days after we squat, but I'm not. Yes, I know go up in weight to get sore, but that's the problem. I'm lifting as much as I can (the lower range of the squat is solid), but once I get to that spot where the majority of the work shifts to the quads I'm immobile.

Would partials (the upper range of the movement, little hip involvement) at the end of the set help? Or would I be looking at knee problems? Have any of you dealt with this? Have any of you that train folks dealt with this and how was progress made?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    TLM
    "The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." -
    Theodore Rubin

Mod @ Proactivehealthnet

Front squats *although out of my rotation now* hit my quads dead on.

Comment

Honestly,l I have never felt squats all that much in my legs, but I do know that they make your quads grow. I would say as long as you are getting nice and deep and going heavy I would not worry too much about it. Remember. you always have the leg presses and/or the hacks on the rotation to isolate the quads a bit better anyway if you are worried about it.
      I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

Yup, hacks too. However, I need to urge you to be careful should to decide to try front squats. I don't recommend them on the Smythe for the same reason I stopped doing them. You see, with your arms crossed in front of you holding the bar, it is extremely difficult to keep the bar from re-racking itself onto the Smythe. This is not something you want to be concerned about when you're trying to push heavy weight ass to grass. Last time I did front squats on the Smythe, my worst fear happened. The bar traveled forward, re-racked itself and I almost found myself on the ground. Thank whoever it was only a warm-up. For that reason, I recommend free weight front squats only and start off VERY light and with a spotter.

Comment

Some people love front squats I am personally not a big fan of them. I feel very akward when doing them and the kill the shit out of my back.
          I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

my girl is my partner too and shes the same way...it kills my quads, and very little ham work for me...but she feels it all in her butt and hams...

I worked forever on her form and depth and it still wont change...but when we do hacks or leg press it kills her quads...so what weve been doing is hitting the hack or press heavy first...then hitting the squat rack...it helps fatigue her quads first while shes stronger...thats all i have figured out that works for her...and her quads are now growing...as are mine

Comment

TheLil'Missus, I understand your problem, IMO I go with Hacks over Squats, not only do I feel Hacks more in my thighs but no back pain either, now remember that Squating is the best whole body exercise you can do, but it will make your booty grow, for sure, hell my butt needs its own zip code...
              "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

:grumpy: Hacks...you just had to go there. I'm pretty sure I didn't offer that as an option that I would be willing to look at.

Dammit. Hacks it is then.

Thanks guys!

TLM
                "The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." -
                Theodore Rubin

Mod @ Proactivehealthnet

Comment

Originally posted by In-Human
                  Squating is the best whole body exercises you can do, but it will make your booty grow, for sure, hell my butt needs its own zip code...
                  In-Human, you let Friggin' out of here and he posted again in the female's 'where you from' thread. He has an interesting suggestion for a new avatar for you.
                  Theodore Rubin

Mod @ Proactivehealthnet

Comment

What if there are no hack machines? Would doing it on the smith with the legs far forward in such a way that when you go down, your shin/calves are at least perpendicular to the ground be a good replacement for hacks?
                    Last edited by lionel; 06-20-2004, 12:55 AM.
                    Consistency is the key

Protein? Use this for a 5% discount at www.trueprotein.com: LVP931

Comment

If any of you are looking for a thigh or back exercise to switch to, think of purchasing a trapbar!
                      It can be considered a back exercise and a thigh exercise. The best purchase, next to DC that I've ever made!

Especially if normal deadlifting or squatting gives you problems!

try it, you can buy it online
                      jim
                      ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
                      Good luck
                      Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
                      SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
                      TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

lionel, You can perform Hacks with a BB, it is sort of a different thing for most people with the BB behind you on the floor in a crouch position, then standing up, they will work you...
                        "That damn log book"

Comment

lionel, I dunno how your standing calf raise it but on ours you can actually perform a very effective hack squat, lol.

Comment

InH, i find that it is very hard to do hacks with a barbell. Wouldn't your balance be lost quite easily like that? And there is also the chance of scraping the area between the calves and the ankles.

This was what i was trying to illustrate
                            Last edited by lionel; 06-20-2004, 02:28 AM.
                            Consistency is the key

Protein? Use this for a 5% discount at www.trueprotein.com: LVP931

Comment

lionel, Nothing came up on that link, but if you use a 25 lb plate then yes you will scuff your ankles, larger plates you will not and right you need to have good balance but it will come in no time...
                              "That damn log book"

Comment

Working...
                              X