Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injuries and Exercise Rotation

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this whole internet message board thing so I originally sent this message to Inhuman as a private message. Then I saw the "new thread" button and thought I would start one. I look forward to hearing from everyone.

I've been reading this board for a while and have been following DC training. This style of training is awesome and it's going really well except for the fact that I have a few injuries that aren't allowing me to do 100% of it. I have a bad groin pull from mixed martial arts that has been with me about 6 months so I have been extremely limited in heavy leg movements. I've stopped with the MMA now for the last 2 months but I'm still stuck with babyweights for major leg moves. My left shoulder is also extremely messed up and makes it hard to do any pressing movements heavy as well. Anyway I have found that the vertical bench press is the only chest exercise I can do without making the shoulder worse. The only tricep exercise I can do (that is worth doing) is lying ez bar skullcrushers and dumbell upright rows for high reps seem to be the only thing I can do for delts. I have been rotating 3 exercises for each bodypart but these are the only ones I can really push on at this point in time. In this case would you guys just use the one exercise that you can do 100% until the injury is rehabbed and if so would you alter the frequency of training for that bodypart. Or would you still rotate 3 exercises for that bodypart and go easy on the other 2 until rehabbed?
    Thanks for your time,
    -Mike

sammysdad, Glad you are here, and maybe some other guys will chime in and give you some answers, hopefully I helped you out a little bit...
    "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Of course it all depends on what level of recovery you're at shoulderwise but for myself and the folks I train when I do pressing movements we take the reps a little higher as well as pressing in a way that takes the rotator cuff out of the movement as much as possible which for chest means bringing the bar down lower on the chest (I bring it down slightly below the pec line on most movements) so as to minimize the shoulder involvement and make it more of a chest/tricep movement.For delts perhaps trying to find a machine press with the parallel handles in front could work for you....Seems to put the rotator cuffs in a less precarious position IMO....
      Massive G
      Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

Bro, I do mixed martial arts also, brazilian juijitsu mostly, but I can relate to the injuries. My back is a constant problem with me and you just have to improvise and find ways to work around it. I try to get my workouts in no matter what even if I am doing pussy ass exercises to get around my injuries. It seems with DC's program and stretching that I have actually reduced the amount of injuries I was suffering.. I know right now my back is totally screwed but I still manage to get through the workouts.
        I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

sammysdad, bigp made a very good point, these Extreme Stretches are just incredible and will make some joint and muscle problems better if not fix them as I have had with my Rotators, so make sure you do them with every workout...
          "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

the only thing I can honestly say that has not improved is my lower back. My shoulders and elbows feel like a million bucks now when they hurt like a bitch before. I know the lower back is more due to the pounding I have given my back over my life from wrestling and wrecking motorcycles,,,, LOL.
            I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

Hey guys,
              Thanks for the replies. I agree the extreme stretching is extremely helpful. I have actually been doing extreme stretches for years. Not the same ones as described by DC but very similar-putting the muscle in an extreme stretch and holding for 45 seconds to a minute. This has definitely helped keep my injuries to a minimum. My shoulder injury resulted from my arm being stuck under my body and having someone jump on top of me at the same time. I always find a way to modify things to get through my workout. I was just wondering which way you guys thought would be more productive:

Right now I am rotating Verticle chest press, Smith incline and Smith flat press. However, I can only really do an all out rest pause set on the verticle bench and I'm definitely improving each time. The SM Incl and the SM flat have been going up as well, BUT, I haven't been able to really push either one so I'm really only getting a good chest workout on the Vert bench press and slowly crawling my way back up to par on the other 2. I wondered if it would be more beneficial in my case to just use the Vert bench every time and try and make a gain until my shoulder is 100% or I reach my peak and then add the other 2 back in. I think based on what you guys said I will continue to rotate until I am back to 100%.

As far as the groin pull goes it's a totally different animal. I started barely able to do 90lbs for 5 reps on the hack squat, 115 on smith squat and 180 on 45 degree leg press a couple of months ago (right after the injury). If I did more reps and the slightest bit of fatigue set in it would pull again and I'd be back to square one. So I started adding 10 lbs a week from there doing ridiculously slow reps and am now up to 210 for 8 on hacks 600 for 10 on the leg press and 200 for 7 on the smith squat as of this week. I know it seems more reps would be better but as soon as fatigue sets in it feels as if it's going to tear off the bone. I am just going to keep adding 10 lbs a week keeping the movements super slow until I am either better or it goes all the way. I'm hoping for better though.

Comment

BigP3 I'm sorry to hear about your lower back. I have had some bad back problems in the past myself (plenty of contact sports and wrecked a few dirt-bikes myself) so I feel for you bro. Have you ever tried reverse hypers?

Comment

Working...
                X