why the dc diet works, a calorie is not a calorie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why the dc diet works, a calorie is not a calorie

Okay the calorie is a calorie is a calorie thing now has been proven to be bunk, the whole “thermogenic principle” as it is called in textbooks has been shown in recent studies to be completely flawed. When caloric contents were originally established they were based on how many calories are expended when x grams of a macronutrient are oxidized. This is all fine and dandy but this does not take into account how much of the food item your body actually digests, how fast it digests it and what happens when it does digest it. Different foods have varying effects on your body this is why you can’t strictly count calories as a measure of whether or not you are going to get fat.

Let me try to explain this in a way we can all understand. Different foods affect your body in different ways and have a varying net effect on your metabolism, etc. For example, 1000 calories of sugar has a net effect on your body much different than does 1000 calories from chicken. Sugar is for the most part absorbed through your tongue bypassing the gastrointestinal tract altogether and hits the bloodstream in full force in a matter of seconds. This results in a spike of your blood sugar as we all know. Your body responds to this excessive amount of blood sugar by releasing insulin which causes the sugar to first to pushed into the glycogen stores, that is if they are depleted and then into your fat stores if the glycogen is full (glycogen spillover). Now the protein in the Chicken on the other hand must be processed by your digestive tract before entering the blood stream causing a slow release into your system. This is interesting also your body uses 15- 20% of the calories in the protein just to digest it. This in a net effect results in free calories and a boost in your metabolism because of the energy your body expends digesting it. After being digested the calories from the protein are either utilized by your body for cellular repair or converted in to blood sugar. This means that at any given time your blood sugar has not dramatically risen from the intake of this protein thus not inducing an insulin spike and potential fat storage. This is whole effect is why the Atkins diet is so effective. People can actually eat more calories on this diet and still lose weight. As you can see your body does not readily convert protein into fat. So now you can kind of see why different foods have a different effect on your body.

The key to preventing fat gain from eating is blood sugar control hence insulin control not so much how many calories you are consuming. This is done by eating low GI carbs, not mixing carbs and fats, eating a high protein diet and timing your carb intake properly. If you eat quality foods you can consume many more calories without fat gains causing an increase in your metabolic rate and changing your body composition.
    I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

yip.

Comment

Very True

Log Book PIMP! It ain't a crime if it likes it!

Comment

Great post that makes perfect sense... i'm not one to just beleive anything that's posted but I like the sound of that....

-James

Comment

i know thats true, if it werent i would be 300 lbs of fat but im fairly lean at around 188, a lot leaner than in my last pics

Comment

bigp3, How bout it takes 4 calories to burn 100 grams of carbs and it takes 25 calories to burn 100 grams of protein...
            Last edited by In-Human; 06-15-2004, 12:20 PM.
            "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

What About Fat Grams?

Comment

Originally posted by In-Human
                bigp3, How bout it takes 4 calories to burn 100 grams of carbs and it takes 25 caleries to burn 100 grams of protein...
                I was not sure about the exact numbers but I knew it was somewhere in that neighborhood, but anyway it goes to prove my point!!
                I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

Comment

bigp3, I may be wrong too, I think it is either 4 or 8 calories I am not sure myself...
                  "That damn log book"

Comment

Originally posted by wildman536
                    What About Fat Grams?

The grams are fat you intake are not as important as the source of fats. Just like carbs and protein not all fats are created equally. For example fish oil has been shown to have properties that aid in the fat burning process where as saturated fats do not. Just remember not all calories and macronutrients are created equally. Nutritition is not that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Human
                      bigp3, How bout it takes 4 calories to burn 100 grams of carbs and it takes 25 calories to burn 100 grams of protein...
                      Okay, I did a little more research on this and what I found is that the amount of calories burnt processing protein and carbs varies depending on the source of these macronutrients so exact numbers are hard to pin down without detailing each food item on its own. For example sugar requires little or no digestion so the amount calories expended processing it are little to none where as whole oats would require more energy to be digested. The same goes for protein, whey is going to require less digestioin than does a chicken breast, but the net caloric effect of protein is still better than carbs in the end.

All in all what it boils down to is insulin control. The only time you want that insulin spike for the most part is when you are in a depleted state such as post workout to avoid fat gain. Hope this helps and if anyone has anything to add please do so.
                      Last edited by bigp3; 06-15-2004, 02:32 PM.

Comment

bigp3, Thanx, very informative posts...
                        "That damn log book"

Comment

I believe the mean average is 4.78 calories burned for every 100 cals of carbs
                          and 4.72 for every 100 cals of fats
                          and 24.8 for every 100 cals of protein
                          @dante_trudel

Comment

there you have it from the man himself,,, lol

Comment

god is always watching over us, thank you sir...
                              "That damn log book"

Comment

Working...
                              X