Traps w/ DC training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traps w/ DC training?

I've noticed no direct trap exercises are mentioned in this program? Is that b/c the back movements involve a lot of trap work? Just curious as to the reasoning!

TH
    For all your Trueprotein supplement needs (www.trueprotein.com), use this code (SER742) and receive 5% off your purchase. Save 10% on orders 16lbs or more!

yes they do, floor deads and rack deads,, i havent done any type of shrugs in about 3-4 months and ive added more size to them
    "I pitty the fool who doesnt buy from www.trueprotein.com"

Comment

What if you are unable to do those movements due to a lower back injury?

TH
      For all your Trueprotein supplement needs (www.trueprotein.com), use this code (SER742) and receive 5% off your purchase. Save 10% on orders 16lbs or more!

Comment

You can do shrugs with a barbell but cant do rack deadlifts?
        @dante_trudel

Comment

Rack deads torture my traps more than shrugs ever did! I really squeeze it at the top of eachj lift. Combine the rack deads with the trap stretch...you're in for serious pain!

Comment

You can also do Kelso shrugs on a seated row machine.
            International Elite Raw Powerlifter
            Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

TH, I have the worst back around, and I have been doing Rack Deads since I started with DC, I just went very slow and worked my way up to some decent weight.

I have not done any Trap exercises on this program and they have grown so much, its rediculous...
              "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Originally posted by Trulyhuge
                What if you are unable to do those movements due to a lower back injury?

TH
                What is the nature of your lower back problem?
                CrossFit Champions
                Champions Combat Arts

Comment

well, when I was 15 I got hit by a car and basically stretched the hell(in a bad way) out of my lower back. Then, last April I was doing smith machine military presses and I went to move the seat back mid rep and felt a sharp pain rush straight down my back. Had to go to therapy for a month and get it worked on and still do stretches for it. I was told to stay clear of deads altogether? So, I feel like I may hurt it more by going heavy on deadlifts, maybe not? I am just not ready for another injury if I can help it!

TH

Comment

I think if you start slow and build up your weight, the extra lower back strenght with prevent any more back problems. I know since i started working my lower back hard, i have not had any lower back problem since, also work my abs hard with weight. Has paid off for me.

Comment

we have thrown some shrugs into my workouts
                      I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

Typically (and this is from the perspective of a physical therapist) we tell patients with back injuries to avoid things like deadlifts "unless you can do it with perfect form" - at least thats what I tell my patients because I am a realist and I know that they will go ahead and do it anyway...
                        Now I don't know anything about your injury - but this is a generalization for the people I have worked with and what I tell them:
                        Make sure your form is PERFECT, throw your ego out the window and start light to get good form, and most importantly STOP immediately if you feel anything in your back that isn't muscles working during the exercise... you should be OK.

I just finished up a low back patient on Friday and as the last thing before he left we reviewed proper form for squats so he could return to the gym... if you are still going to therapy (and your therapist knows anything about deadlifting) tell them you would like to get back to it and ask how to do it safely, and ask why they say you shouldn't do it - there may be a very good reason, or it could just be that the therapist doesn't "like" deadlifts.

Note: the above is not medical advice, just an opinion - whatever you do with it is your own choice... (gotta cover my ass )

TrueNutrition.com discount code: AAL229 saves you 5%

Feel free to PM me with injury questions - I'll get back to you soon as I can.

Comment

Good reply dude.
                          International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                          Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

I broke my lower back ten years ago, and was told to stay away from deads and squats. I can do deads without too much trouble, but it took a long time of using virtually no weight (135-225) to get the form down. One thing about a back injury, it will let you know the minute your form slips. I can't do squats because of the loewr back problems, but I can do hacks and reverse hacks...I just have to work around it.

As others have said, strengthening your lower back...gradually....will help with the pain and the minor problems. Mine does not bother me nearly as bad, now that I am using exercises that strengthen the area.

Comment

I'll give them a go. I'll start out light and work my way up. I could go heavy when I did them a couple years back and was natural so I will see what I got. Thanks for the replies!

TH

Comment

Working...
                              X