Couple newbie questions about DC workout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple newbie questions about DC workout

Hey everyone. I've actually been browsing this site for a few weeks now and just now got around to registering. I've been working out for almost three years now (5'11, 170 pounds). While I've definitely put on some muscle (was a scrawny wuss before), my weight barely went up and I'm not as "big" as I hoped to be by now. I've been looking for a new workout to try and I want to give doggcrapp's routine a run.

I've spent many hours reading this forum and a couple of dc's word documents (including the 300+ page one). I'm still preparing my new routine and I have a couple questions regarding his workout. If someone could please bear with my newbness, I'd appreciate it

1. Are the rest pause reps basically 8-second reps? Say I'm doing incline smith for 15 reps RP (8+4+3). Each rep I push the bar up quickly but then slowly lower it so that the negative portion is 7-8 seconds. Then after doing 8 reps, I take 15 deep breaths and continue. I originally thought the "rest pause" name came to be because of the 15-breath-rest part.

2. On the "static hold" part of the exercise, do you do the hold on the final rep or do you rack, rest, and then hold? I'm assuming the first but have to make sure. Sounds like hell!!

3. Assuming rest pause is a 8-second rep, do you do your warm-ups rest paused also?

4. Do I need 3 exercises for every muscle group? Does anyone here do a workout involving only 2 exercises per muscle group? (Day 1,2,3,4,repeat instead of Day 1,2,3,4,5,6,repeat)

Any answers, comments would be greatly appreciated.

1. I am not completely sure what you are getting at. Also, don't worry about how slow the negative is, just control it. We aim for 4-6 seconds usually, though. You go to complete failure on your first 'mini set' as we call it. Say that is 8 reps as stated before. You take your 15 deep breaths then start your pressing again. Go to failure, 12-15 more deep breaths and start pressing again to failure. I usually take a few more deep breaths and then do my static *if the exercise allows for it*, some others may disagree with me though.

2. covered
    3. No, warm up normally. There is no need to waste energy here.
    4. Yes, you need three exercises for each muscle group. DO NOT change the workouts. That is the downfall of many peoplt that try this training and fail at it. If you change it, is it no longer DoggCrapp.

Comment

Also, after my static I take some more deep breaths and then do my extreme stretching.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response USMuscle. I understand the concept that one "rest pause set" is actually three or so mini-sets (each set taken to failure) with 15 deep breaths rest between mini-sets. I just didn't fully understand what one RP rep consisted of. From reading the document from DC, his description of a RP rep seemed very "negative oriented"... quick explosive push followed by slooow negative.

Say I'm doing incline smith. A typical non-DC rep would be 1 sec up, 1 sec down. But one DC RP rep would be 1 sec up, 4-6 sec down. Is this correct? I hope I explained that well.

Actually now I have another quick question. With quads and back-thickness, we do straight sets instead of RP sets. Are these straight set reps done with slow negatives as well? A 6-second negative squat sounds brutal!

Comment

Yes, the 1-2 seconds up and 4-6 seconds down is correct. Don't worry so much about counting, just carefully control the rep. And yes, you will be doing the straight sets with a slower negative than you normally would. And yes, it is brutaL On squats, an 8 rep set and then a heavier 4 rep set doesn't sound like much but..try it
          Allen

Comment

Originally posted by USMuscle9403
            Yes, the 1-2 seconds up and 4-6 seconds down is correct. Don't worry so much about counting, just carefully control the rep. And yes, you will be doing the straight sets with a slower negative than you normally would. And yes, it is brutaL On squats, an 8 rep set and then a heavier 4 rep set doesn't sound like much but..try it
            Allen
            or if you have skinny legs like me, the widowmaker (20 repper) can give a new meaning to the term manual labor!

jim
            ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
            Good luck
            Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
            SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
            TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

one more thing,, we straight set forearms & calves,, and hams are done with a straight set if your incorporating stiff legged deads.. good luck
              Last edited by mobsta; 06-07-2004, 01:01 PM.
              "I pitty the fool who doesnt buy from www.trueprotein.com"

Comment

Working...
              X