A strong case for DC Heavy stretches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A strong case for DC Heavy stretches

Being an older study, my apologies if this has been posted . .but I found the parallel, especially to the Lat widening overload stretch, remarkable.

Cheers all

Progressive stretch overload of skeletal muscle results in hypertrophy before hyperplasia.

Antonio J, Gonyea WJ

J Appl Physiol 1993; 75:1263-71.

Abstract

Intermittent stretch of the anterior latissimus dorsi (ALD) muscle produces fiber hypertrophy without fiber hyperplasia (J. Appl. Physiol. 74: 1893-1898, 1993).

This study was undertaken to determine if a progressive increase in load and duration of stretch would induce extremely large muscle fiber areas or if the fibers would reach a critical size before the onset of fiber hyperplasia. Weights ranging from 10 to 35% of the bird's mass were attached to the right wing of 26 adult quail while the left wing served as the intra-animal control. The stretch protocol was as follows: day 1 (10% wt), days 2 and 3 (rest), day 4 (15% wt), days 5-7 (rest), day 8 (20% wt), days 9 and 10 (rest), days 11-14 (25% wt), days 15 and 16 (rest), and days 17-38 (35% wt).
    Birds were killed after 12, 16, 20, 24, and 28 days of stretch not including rest days.

Muscle mass increased 174% (12 days), 196% (16 days), 225% (20 days), 264% (24 days), and 318% (28 days).

Muscle length increased 60% (12 days), 34% (16 days), 59% (20 days), 50% (24 days), and 51% (28 days). Mean fiber area increased 111% (12 days), 142% (16 days), 75% (20 days), 90% (24 days), and 39% (28 days).

Fiber number, which was measured histologically, increased significantly by 82% only in the 28 days of stretch group. The percentage of slow tonic fibers did not change for any of the time points examined.(

Damn.

Comment

But while I'm on that page . .

Skeletal muscle fiber hyperplasia.

Antonio J, Gonyea WJ

Med Sci Sports Exerc 1993; 25:1333-45.

Abstract
      Skeletal muscle enlargement in adult animals has been ascribed primarily to changes in fiber cross-sectional area (i.e., fiber hypertrophy); however, recent evidence from several laboratories suggests strongly that fiber hyperplasia contributes to muscle mass increases in adult animals and possibly human athletes.

Scientists have used three models to study the cellular mechanisms of muscle enlargement: compensatory hypertrophy, stretch, and exercise. Each of these models has provided direct as well as indirect evidence supporting the occurrence of muscle fiber hyperplasia.

Direct counts of muscle fibers using nitric acid digestion techniques have shown that both exercise and stretch overload result in significant increases (range = 9-52%) in fiber number. Indirect fiber counts using histological cross-sections have suggested fiber hyperplasia (range = 10-82%) in all three models.

Additionally, the expression of embryonic myosin isoforms have provided indirect evidence for new fiber formation in stretch overloaded muscle. Furthermore, satellite cells have been shown to be involved in muscle fiber hyperplasia in stretch and exercise.

MeSH
      Animals; Exercise; Humans; Hyperplasia; Hypertrophy; Muscles; Physical Conditioning, Animal

Author Address
      Department of Cell Biology and Neurosciences, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235-9039.

MEDLINE record details

Publication Type:
      Journal Article; Review

ISSN:
      0195-9131

UNITED STATES

Comment

28 Days of lat stretches it is !

Muscle fiber splitting in stretch-enlarged avian muscle.

Antonio J, Gonyea WJ

Med Sci Sports Exerc 1994; 26:973-7.

Abstract

This study examined the role of longitudinal fiber splitting in enlarged anterior latissimus dorsi (ALD) muscle of adult quail. Muscle hypertrophy was induced using a model of progressive stretch overload (PSO) (5).

After 16 and 28 d of PSO, muscle mass in the stretched ALD muscle increased significantly (P < 0.05) 188% and 294%, respectively, when compared with the intra-animal control muscle. Muscle length increased significantly (P < 0.05) in the stretched ALD muscle vs the intra-animal control by approximately 77% for both groups.

Fiber number, which was assessed using direct counts after nitric acid digestion, did not change in the 16-d group; however, the 28-d stretched ALD muscle exhibited a 30% increase (P < 0.05) in fiber number vs the intra-animal control muscle.

Furthermore, the frequency of splitting (i.e., branching) fibers was less than 0.3% in all muscles examined except the 28-d stretched ALD muscle.

The 28-d stretched ALD muscle had 5.25% of its muscle fibers exhibiting split profiles. These results demonstrate that PSO produces effects unlike chronic stretch overload in that longitudinal fiber splitting may contribute significantly to an increase in fiber number.

MeSH
        Adaptation, Physiological; Animals; Coturnix; Hyperplasia; Hypertrophy; Male; Muscle Fibers; Muscle, Skeletal; Reflex, Stretch

Author Address
        University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, Dallas 75235-9039.

MEDLINE record details

Publication Type:
        Journal Article; Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.

ISSN:
        0195-9131

UNITED STATES

Comment

bad ass dude

Comment

Well, due to a bad brachialis right now, I did weighted stretching on the pec deck, lat pulldown and a couple others . .

If my pain= my gain . .I'm so happy right now, I could cry . . .

Fighting to keep that protein up . .

Comment

Coach you aren't THAT old as your picture shows ha. But thanks for posting some cool information.
              Use SAM210 for 5% off your entire order at www.trueprotein.com 10% if you order 16 lbs or more! :bb:

Now, if you would kindly drop this little debate before I am forced by the voices in my head to drive to where you live, find you, rape you, eat your heart and then go workout with your blood on my hands.

Comment

Ha ! Cheers bud
                Mike

Comment

Man i like reading ure shit with that avatar, coach, feel like im listening to some f*ckin wiseman preach to me on top of a mountain or some shit with a booming voice....good shit.
                  Use discount code KEG432 for that 5% discount at www.trueprotein.com

"The brain can subjugate anything, even real pain."
                  -Bruce Lee

Comment

Ha ! Give him brown hair ( OK except for the beard) and 10 yrs less . .I can provide the voice and experience . .
                    Glad you enjoy the posts . .I aim for insight . .

Comment

The bird wing studies back in the early 90's are what actually got me really pushing into stretching protocols and the like. I actually did a huge huge article on hyperplasia and printed it up in Hardcore Muscle magazine along with a very detailed outline of how to do the scapula manipulation trick to widen your lat spread, also I believe you can widen your shoulder girdle up to a certain age and wrote up how to do that also in the early 90's

I could go in the garage and dig that out and have it printed up here for your reading enjoyment and then i would never hear "Dante please tell me how to do the scapula manipulation thing ok" ever again.....but alas, Im a lazy son of a bitch and who am I fooling, Im not going in the garage to dig it up.....especially when there is a steak to eat
                      @dante_trudel

Comment

Dante or anyone else with an answer,

Is there any way to find any issues of Hardcore Muscle still around? I checked ebay, and no other thoughts right now. I'm sure a lot of us would love to see how things progressed in terms of your thinking towards training(and diet if you talked about it then). After your steak if you did find some time to dig them up I'm sure people like myself would buy copies of them.
                        Last edited by ScottMcDonough; 08-31-2007, 09:15 PM. Reason: I'm horrible at typing.
                        Use SAM210 for 5% off your entire order at www.trueprotein.com 10% if you order 16 lbs or more! :bb:

Now, if you would kindly drop this little debate before I am forced by the voices in my head to drive to where you live, find you, rape you, eat your heart and then go workout with your blood on my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggcrapp View Post
                          The bird wing studies back in the early 90's are what actually got me really pushing into stretching protocols and the like. I actually did a huge huge article on hyperplasia and printed it up in Hardcore Muscle magazine along with a very detailed outline of how to do the scapula manipulation trick to widen your lat spread, also I believe you can widen your shoulder girdle up to a certain age and wrote up how to do that also in the early 90's

I could go in the garage and dig that out and have it printed up here for your reading enjoyment and then i would never hear "Dante please tell me how to do the scapula manipulation thing ok" ever again.....but alas, Im a lazy son of a bitch and who am I fooling, Im not going in the garage to dig it up.....especially when there is a steak to eat
                          lol, where do you live, i will find it myself, and clean your garage.

Limited time offer.
                          "If it works, do it. If it doesn't, don't. My attitude is, don't agonize over why " Dorian Yates

No flat bench, No cry

Comment

Originally posted by ScittMcDonough View Post

Is there any way to find any issues of Hardcore Muscle still around? I checked ebay, and no other thoughts right now. I'm sure a lot of us would love to see how things progressed in terms of your thinking towards training(and diet if you talked about it then). After your steak if you did find some time to dig them up I'm sure people like myself would buy copies of them.
                            x2
                            "If it works, do it. If it doesn't, don't. My attitude is, don't agonize over why " Dorian Yates

No flat bench, No cry

Comment

Originally posted by ScittMcDonough View Post

exactly what I was wondering
                              sigpic

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
                              1 Timothy 4:8

Comment

Working...
                              X