Coleman video and "partial reps"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman video and "partial reps"

Not sure exactly how to put this but here goes.

Watched most of his new dvd this past weekend. The thing that struck me most about his training in particular was the range of motion he uses in virtually all exercises. It looked to me like he never used a "full range" of movement in most exercises. The dumbell shoulder presses really tuned me onto the issue and if you've seen it, I think you'll agree on the relatively short range of motion he used.

So I thought a lot about the subject last weekend and here are some of my thoughts and questions. I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on this as well.

- I do understand that, for example, the top portion of the shoulder press is primarilly(sp) tricep work so I understand the idea behind the partial RoM concept.

- Full-range of motion (FRoM) is often recommended for growth and injury prevention yet most of the videos I've seen of pros show them not using FRoM.

- At a certain point in the mass and strength curve, is a FRoM not necessary?

- At a certain point in the mass curve is a FRoM not even possible?

- Is RC, and most other pros, just so genetically gifted that he can grow from cooking his two cups of egg whites every morning so FRoM doesn't matter?

- I've read that in-fact FRoM puts your joints in a less-than-desirable mechanical position at certain points in an exercise and using a PRoM is "easier" on the joints.

Whatcha think?

TimB.

he was working through a shoulder injury so that could have affected his ROM-especially at the bottom portion
    I GET MY SUPPLEMENTS WHERE TOP ATHLETES GET THEIRS : TRUEPROTEIN.COM

:preach:

2008 Mr. Indiana Heavyweight Champ

Comment

I'm going out on a limb and say that guys like ronnie grow off any movement with their diets and genetics. A full range of motion is important, but you don't have to lock out. I don't use a full range of motion for the reason of tension time on the muscle. I don't allow the muscle to have a break. Load and tension time are key factors for growth and I feel the pro's know that anyway
      Trueprotein.com

Troponin Athlete

Lana's EggWhites "Get Hard, Stay Hard"

Comment

I think his ROM is also limited because of the HUGE size of his muscles.
        Blade

"Keep your purpose in mind, simply go to the gym and do your workout, do it well and don't worry
        what other people are doing. Confidence will grow as you achieve."

"If you believe in yourself, have dedication and pride and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of
        victory is high, but so are the rewards"

Comment

I was watching pumping iron this weekend, and alot of the old school guys (Ferrigno, Columbo, etc) were doing partials in all their pressing movements. They were doing them on exercises like incline and flat bench press, and they were doig the reps at the bottom portion of the exercise. did full rom on other things like squats. just got me thinking a little. I wonder if theres a way to incorporate this into DC training?
          top of the food chain

Comment

Charles Glass also suggest partials at some exercises.
            Blade

"Keep your purpose in mind, simply go to the gym and do your workout, do it well and don't worry
            what other people are doing. Confidence will grow as you achieve."

"If you believe in yourself, have dedication and pride and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of
            victory is high, but so are the rewards"

Comment

Originally posted by dragula
              I was watching pumping iron this weekend, and alot of the old school guys (Ferrigno, Columbo, etc) were doing partials in all their pressing movements. They were doing them on exercises like incline and flat bench press, and they were doig the reps at the bottom portion of the exercise. did full rom on other things like squats. just got me thinking a little. I wonder if theres a way to incorporate this into DC training?
              When something isn't broke, Don't fix it!!

jim
              ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
              Good luck
              Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
              SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
              TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

At the end of your rest-pause set. If you can't get anymore full reps do some partials at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback
                  At the end of your rest-pause set. If you can't get anymore full reps do some partials at the end.
                  Silverback is correct! What I meant was not to change the program at all! Static reps at the end of the set is how it's suppose to be done!!

jim
                  ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
                  Good luck
                  Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
                  SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
                  TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

Thanks for the replies ya'll. Good discussion.

TimB.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback
                      Amen, dude. I have always done it. Talking about complete failure and a tremendous pump...not to mention the extra gains :showoff:
                      Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Blade
                        Charles Glass also suggest partials at some exercises.
                        Pete Sisco too...

Comment

Working...
                        X