Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout 2 advice

Hi,
    my first workout 2 is today, and I just wanted to check my plan with the knowledgeable folks here.

Biceps: preacher bb curls r/p ~14reps
    Forearms: DB Hammer curls straight set 15reps

Bicep Stretch

Calves: Calf raises on smith or leg press straight set 10-12reps
    20s negatives

--> Is there a calf stretch here? I guess probably not.

Hams: unsure of what to do here, I would have done SLDLs or something but, I did those last workout for lower back, and I want to let that rest don't I?

Quads: Usually do free squats, but I think I may do smith squats today because it's time to go all frickin' out.

Either 10reps straight brutal, or 4-8 heavy + 20 (at lighter weight?) I'm undecided. I think my quads may be ok at the straight 10.

Quad + Ham stretches.

Thanks in advance for any help
    Al

thats an awesome pic.. lol.

for the calves, its a 5 second negative and a 15 second stretch at the very bottom - that may have been what you meant but just in case i wanted to clear that up.

for hams you could do some type of leg curl or even ham presses on the leg press.

with the squats you could go with a 4-8 heavy free squat and then a brutal 20 rep smith squat. that is what i do since my form can get pretty loose towards the end of the 20 repper.
    www.trueprotein.com

www.proactivehealthnet.com/healthBB/

"Those who do not beleive in the impossible, should not distract those who are already doing it"

"if we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Note: i'm not an expert, but i'm probably right.

"Furthermore, the urge to overindulge is almost absent when drinking urine." - the skeptic's dictionary about urine therapy.

Comment

if your quads grow easily then you can do a 4-8 and then an 8-12 with squats and skip the 20 repper.
      www.trueprotein.com

"Those who do not beleive in the impossible, should not distract those who are already doing it"

"Furthermore, the urge to overindulge is almost absent when drinking urine." - the skeptic's dictionary about urine therapy.

Comment

Thanks MsteveM,
        I didn't know but ok, 5 second negative, then strong stretch in the down position for 15seconds.

I think I will do Hamstring Curls for this workout. TBH I'm not sure if my quads grow that well, as I haven't been squatting all that long, but I will consider your idea because it makes sense to do the nutter 20 reps on the smith, but I like the idea of keeping with the free squat somewhat.

Comment

when you're straight setting the hammer curls, you still do a 4-6s negative right ?

and also, I will rest/pause hams for 20 reps, that ok?
          Last edited by monkeyd; 05-21-2004, 03:08 PM.

Comment

yes, 20 reps is fine for hams. if you decide to go with the leg curls try to get between 20-30 reps rp.

with hammer curls the negative is still the same - don't bother counting it, just make sure it is controlled and you aren't just dropping the weight - the eccentric portion of the rep can account for alot of muscle growth.
            www.trueprotein.com

Comment

ahh missed those last replies before I went, thanks though.

Bit of a mixed affair this workout, on the one hand the gym decided to close earlier than normal today, and that totally fucked up my last 3 exercises... try doing the squats, calves and hams in 20 mins!!!

On the other hand, I fucking LOVE this training style. The pumps are unbelievable. I look at myself in the mirror afterwards, and I can see the promise of an awesome physique given a few months hard training, nevermind years.

The non rushed bicep and forearms went great, I knew I was under pressure so there wasn't much resting at all between exercises.

It went like this (weights don't compare to the rest of you monsters I'm sure , I'm a wee 165lber with only 8months lifting)

preacher curls: warmup, then 9(no fail), 5, 3 @ 17.5kg (heavier than I'd normally go actually, this was great)

Double Hammer Curls: warmup then 15 straight @ 10kg, real slow negatives

bicep stretch: immense! l love pain because it feels like growth.

Then they announce gym shuts in 15mins... I'm just like :angry:

pause for 3 seconds.. I have a 30g dextrose/30g malto/30g whey shake in my bag... if I stop now and finish the workout tommorrow, have I done enough to drink the shake now or ? No! I must complete it.... so I got angry and had to modify the rest somewhat to get it done. I warmed up the whole body pretty well at the beginning of the workout with 5mins of cardio and 10-15mins of stretching...so...

Straight on the leg press to do calves. Now I was going to straight set 10-12, but calves is one area I don't have a problem with. They are disproportionately stronger than the rest of me I think, and I'm almost scared to go all out with them because they will tear themselves apart or give me insane cramps because my body can't supply them enough oxygen or something. It's like I can never go to failure with them because they start giving out pain, not in the sense of good pain but, in the sense of serious bodily warning pain that something is going to snap or rupture. Anyhow, I don't think getting them to grow is a problem, so as long as I hit them brutally hard, I'm not sure the scheme matters (although in an ideal world I would be following dc to the letter).

So I did one warmup set, then [email protected] doing 5s negs and really hard 5-10s stretches, 10s breathing, 5 more, 10s, 5 more not quite to failure, but they feel like they're going to explode, so I did a 15s strong stretch this time and moved on.

Now I figure I pick squats before hams if I have to only do one in the remaining 5 mins.

I don't have time to think about what I'm doing here, just warmup with 8, 6, 4, then move to the smith machine. Except I'm not pausing at all and I only got 3 fucking reps at a weight I should have fricking owned....so pissed off. Grit my teeth, get under the bar and keep going until I get to 11 reps, then the gym is closing, jump off cursing the manager...run to ham curls

no warmups because the blood is flowing now.

I get to 3 reps at 52.5 and decide to bump it up..
              continue with another 6 at 55kg, not to failure (I'll call that the first 9 of the rp set), 10 breathes, 5reps, 10 breathes, 3 reps.

These were good, real controlled negs, and powerful squeeze at full contraction.

Jump off, quad stretch, ham stretch...down that shake and out the gym door.

Man, I have no fricking idea how that went. I know I hit my calves, biceps and forearms really well. I think my hamstrings took a beating too...but I'm just gutted I couldn't do the squats properly.. Anyway, I got home and squatted my heavy desk chair 40 times, just to give my quads something to think about.

I probably sound like a raving nutter, but damn it... next time I'm going to fucking annihilate this workout.

Comment

its not going to be a big deal as long as your consistent - but you do have the right attitude about next time... why didnt you go until failure with the curls? just wait until next round when you get to crush your previous lifts!
                www.trueprotein.com

Comment

its kinda funny how anytime somebody/something messes with training or eating, it almost feels like their out to get you.. lol. know what i mean?
                  www.trueprotein.com

Comment

yeah

lol I've calmed down a bit and re-reading that is pretty funny.

Now that you mention it, I don't know. damnit. I think I just had 15 reps going through my head. Just a result of feeling I had to really get on with it and move on I think. Still they were hurting bad for the last 5 or 6 reps so it should have done something.

I can't wait till 6 workouts from now when I come back and show this workout what happens when I actually have time to apply myself properly.

Comment

Working...
                    X