No announcement yet.

will this split work with the program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will this split work with the program?

since i have gone to midnight, i thought my routine would be monday morning, thursday morning and saturday. i just found out my club won't be open until 8 am on sats so i would have to wait 2 hours after working all night(umm, no) so.... would this be fine or does it risk overtraining too much??

monday morning
    thursday morning
    friday morning

This is going to be permanent? If so, sounds like a plan to me. Sounds as though you'd be getting the same amount of rest.
    Allen

Comment

anyone else?

Comment

does this thread stink or something?
        i need some opinions as i have just started using it & want to be sure it will work w/ this type of program

Comment

Hey bro,
          Be more specific about your schedule. I worked midnight - 8 a.m. Monday - Friday (that is to say that my work week started Monday night at midnight and ended Saturday morning at 8 a.m.) for 4.5 years. I'd be happy to tell you what worked and didn't work for me.

What exactly is your work schedule and when do you plan to sleep every day? Is when you sleep flexible?

The Munster
          CrossFit Champions
          Champions Combat Arts

Comment

Originally posted by The Munster
            Hey bro,
            Be more specific about your schedule. I worked midnight - 8 a.m. Monday - Friday (that is to say that my work week started Monday night at midnight and ended Saturday morning at 8 a.m.) for 4.5 years. I'd be happy to tell you what worked and didn't work for me.

What exactly is your work schedule and when do you plan to sleep every day? Is when you sleep flexible?

The Munster
            i am at work weds night (10pm-6am), thursday night(10pm-6am) friday night(10pm-6am) sat night(10pm-6am) sun night(10pm-6am)

i plan on working out monday morning 6am
            thurs morning 6 am
            fri morning 6am

i am on this rotaion until july where i might get it again for 2 more months

i sleep around 830 am- 3 pm & longer if i ever can. i have to take tylenol pm every morning just to fall asleep. if i work the shift more than 2 months, i can usually sleep with the tylenol

Comment

Originally posted by GS67
              i am at work weds night (10pm-6am), thursday night(10pm-6am) friday night(10pm-6am) sat night(10pm-6am) sun night(10pm-6am)

i plan on working out monday morning 6am
              thurs morning 6 am
              fri morning 6am

i am on this rotaion until july where i might get it again for 2 more months

i sleep around 830 am- 3 pm & longer if i ever can. i have to take tylenol pm every morning just to fall asleep. if i work the shift more than 2 months, i can usually sleep with the tylenol

I'm of the opinion that you should have a day's rest in between workouts, especially DC workouts. That being said, I think you should switch to what you mentioned in a previous post, Thursday, Saturday and Monday. Or something like this.

Also, have you thought about sleeping in the evening instead of during the day? When I worked midnight-8a.m., I slept from 2p.m. or 3p.m. to 10p.m. That way, when I got off work at 8 a.m., I could hit the gym and have the rest of the morning and early afternoon to spend with my family or running errands and such. Plus, if you work at night and sleep during the day, you aren't getting any sunlight. This is bad for many reasons. Do some research, you'll see what I mean.

Instead of Tylenol, try 1mg or 3mg of melatonin. Take it about 1 hour before you go to bed.

Hope this helps.

The Munster
              CrossFit Champions
              Champions Combat Arts

Comment

The routine is suppose to be 1 on 1off 1on 1off 1on 2off.
                So it would have to be something like monday wednesday friday, or tuesday thursday saturday.

Comment

i WAS working ot mon/thurs/sat but the gym opens at 8am on sat & i get off work at 6. i live an hour away from work/gym.
                  i have to sleep during the day b/c my wife & 16 month old daughter get home at 330pm & i want to spend time with my daughter.
                  i need some suggestions on the split if i cannot do the mon/thur/sat thing

Comment

hmm

tue\thurs\sunday would work if your schedule allows... just an idea

this way your still getting the 1on 1off 1on 1off 1on 2off

Comment

gym doesnt open till 2 hours+ after i get off on sunday morning

Comment

GS67, I'm a definite newbie but, it makes common sense for you to try what works in your schedule. If you can't gain strength then immediately re-evalute your situation and adjust it accordingly.

Get Stronger
                        jim
                        ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
                        Good luck
                        Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
                        SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
                        TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

Originally posted by GS67
                          i WAS working ot mon/thurs/sat but the gym opens at 8am on sat & i get off work at 6. i live an hour away from work/gym.
                          i have to sleep during the day b/c my wife & 16 month old daughter get home at 330pm & i want to spend time with my daughter.
                          i need some suggestions on the split if i cannot do the mon/thur/sat thing
                          Gothca. I was wondering what your home/family life was like. So, you're right, sleeping in the evening is out. Any chance you could workout out right before you go to work?

Anyway, set up your workouts however you have to. If it's possible for you to have at least 1 day in between workouts I think you should do it, but if you can't, you can't. Work with what you can do. If you have to work out 2 days in a row, make sure those days have GREAT sleep in them.

The Munster
                          CrossFit Champions
                          Champions Combat Arts

Comment

GS67,
                            My wife and I wanted to cover a few more things about this work schedule. I don't know if you have worked this before, and if so, for how long.
                            When I worked midnight -8a.m., I went through 2 major (and a few small) depressions over the 4.5 years that I was on it. They effected me mentally and physically. Normally, I'm a very optimistic and driven person. So, twice in the time I was on this shift, I (and my wife) was knocked over with mood and personality changes. I quite literally became someone else. Moody, cranky, judgemental, pessimistic etc (the wife is sitting here next to me helping me with the descriptives :angry: ).
                            Initially I was sleeping during the day and working overnight so I was not getting any sunlight except for my 2 days off. THIS IS NOT NORMAL! Humans have to get sunlight for a number of reasons. Not only do our bodies make certain vitamins from sunlight, our bodies have rhythms and patterns that function around sunlight and darkness. When you start jacking with that, THINGS WILL GET OUT OF WHACK!
                            Also, we had just had our second daughter and the wife was having a certain amount of hormone related mood and temper swings of her own (her own admission). All this adds up to a lot of stress to your body.

Listen, this type of training is very stressful to the body. Everyone here can tell you how important recovery is, especially training DC style. Well, the shift your working is also very stressful to the body. You have got to find a balance between all the things that are important to you. Family, sleep and training. Dude, your sleep has to be respected here. Black out the windows and try to soundproof your room. If you don't get enough rest and you don't get very much sunlight, YOU WILL SPIRAL DOWN FAST! Just watch out. Watch for early signs of starting to drag and feel grumpy. Talk to your wife. Make sure ya'll are on the same page about things. Trust me, it makes things easier. Nobody ever told me any of this stuff and we had to figure this out along the way (sucked!).

Things like this might not happen to everyone that works these kind of hours but it does happen to a lot. This shift is a hard transition on the body. Throw hardcore training in and bad things can happen. Just trying to give you a heads up. Sorry for rambling on, but I'd hate to see someone go through what we did.

Good luck.

The Munster
                            CrossFit Champions
                            Champions Combat Arts

Comment

Working...
                            X