In-Human, Smythe Machine Chest Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-Human, Smythe Machine Chest Help

Hey man, this one is specifically for you.

Last night was smythe decline benching, and I know I would have put up higher numbers than I actually did if it weren't for the fact that I DID NOT feel it in my chest AT ALL. I had a wide grip and everything, but it felt like a giant compound movement for triceps only. I even had the shoulders pulled back for it.

I'm used to free weight decline, and I've always felt it in the chest, what's the trick to feeling the smythe machine in the chest? Last night's workout sucked because I felt like I hadn't even done chest.

I know once I figure out what is wrong with ME and not the smythe machine then things will be back on track so my chest can grow.

Thanks as usual bro. (I'm doing this from school by the way)
    5'8'', 215 lbs.

Raw powerlifter.

Khan, Did you have the bench at its lowest point? try not to go super wide, its kinda hard to explain but I like to keep my hands forearms and upper arms all square, like a box so to speak, try to lose your thumb also, keep your wrists straight to keep more pressure on your pecs, sqeeze your pecs at the top of the movement, do not push with your feet, we are working pecs not legs.

Give that a try man, and let me know what happens...
    "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Yes, it was set at its lowest point. The thumb thing I will implement, and I'll also focus on squeezing at the top (also not locking out completely to keep tension at all times). Even though it was a relatively wide grip it still formed the ideal box you mentioned. Wrists are straight as always though.

I was thinking about the problem, and it might be just this... Where exactly should the bar be lowered to when I'm positioned on the decline? If the point A to point B movement of the bar is in a certain position it might hit my triceps more, instead of my chest... just a thought. Afterall, I am not too used to the Smythe and that could be the problem.
      5'8'', 215 lbs.

Raw powerlifter.

Comment

Khan, I like that bar just below my nips, and remember your Triceps are big time involved in any chest exercise, like we talked last night keep your shoulder blades against the pad pinch that pad with them...
        "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Working...
        X