• Show
Clear All

• Lower back

Hi!

I just started my DC program.
    For back thickness i plan to do the following three exercises:

Upper body day 1: Deadlifts
    Upper body day 2: Dorian Rows
    Upper body day 3: Nautilus Compound Row ( http://www.nautilus.com/2st/compoundrow.shtml )

On the first two exercises, my lower back gets a good workout, however on the Nautilus Compound Rows, where your chest is against a pad, my lower back is doing very little work. Would it then, on that day, be sensible to add a lower back exercise like hyperextensions or a lower back machine? Or should I use a lower back exercise instead of the Nautilus Compound Row?
    Regards,
    Tummen

Tummen, If you feel that exercise sucks, toss it out, if it is not working your muscle and you are performing it correctly, drop it and move to different exercise, like T-Bar Rows, Drag Rack Deads or even Bent Rows.

I have a terrible back, so I do Good Mornings very light on my cardio days to strengthen it for Back Thickness...
    "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

No, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Nautilus Compound Row, it really hits my lats and middle back muscles. I'm just wondering if the back thickness exercise HAS to be an exercise that also hits the lower back, like deadlifts and various other rowing exercises, and if so, since the Nautilus Compound Row doesn't, if it's ok to "complete" it by following it with a low back isolation exercise?
      Regards,
      Tummen

Comment

Depending on your split, you might do another exercise that puts strain on the low back on the same day you do your Nautilus machine rows.

E.g., you might do stiff-legged deads on that day, if you train hams with back. OR, you might do free bar squats on that day for quads, with a low bar placement.

If you're only doing upper body on one day, you might plan on doing the above leg exercises the next training session (for lower body).

Adding an additional exercise for the low back, (hypers, good mornings, etc.) would depend upon your recovery ability. If you DO add an extra exercise, then you might consider using the opposite approach as above: Plan on not doing other exercises that could overstress the low back during that training session or the next. This often boils down to a safety issue - low backs tend to be a bit "tricky."

-Randy
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Thanks. You're right, I do get my lower back worked on 2 of my 3 lower body days as well, so I'll just space out the 2 out of 6 days I don't hit lower back inbetween the other 4 days.

(I follow DC's basic split and hit lower back on 2 out of 3 upper body days (deadlifts and dorian rows) and on 2 out of 3 lower body days (squats and stiff legged deads).)
          Regards,
          Tummen

Comment

Working...
          X