Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DriftKing
    replied
    Thanks so much to both @Skip and Doggcrapp for your responses.

@Skip I’ve been following this auto regulation and increased volume split incorporating rest pause for the past year and I’ve been very happy with my results. BUT… now I’ve realized two things… that I need more recovery and the weights are getting really heavy. I’m motivated but also intimidated by the weights I’m lifting. I wouldn’t say I’ve made a mistake but I’ve learned that you shouldn’t change something that already works and is laid out for a reason such as just following the 2 way or the 3 way split as written by DC.

As per my other posts, little aches and pains have been creeping up and annoying my progress but this is coming a year later unforeseen. Now I’ve realized, I’m truly in it for the long haul and journey and need to avoid these injuries at all costs. I thought I was invincible before haha

Doggcrapp now I completely understand that one shouldn’t change something that has already brought great success for others. It’s understandable the frustration when beginners like myself first come in and what to change this and that because of their own “research, opinions, etc” and hard for them to stray from what they are used to. I tried changing something that was already great and while my thing worked for awhile, I didn’t notice the effects until a year later which have annoyed my progress. But it was a much needed learning lesson. I see it being quite annoying for you to explain to the world your methods over and over and your explanations only bring more questions which gets tiring to answer over and over again. You’ve already answered the same questions and it gets repetitive. I’ve learned to do it as written and that’s it. I also ask myself the same questions, if I’m doing things right, Bla bla bla, but sometimes you just gotta trust the process, train heavy, rest adequately, eat nutritionally, recover and progress the weight up, and repeat over and over again. Not much else to it.

With all this said, I’m sticking to the original DC 2 Way with 2 straight sets instead of rest pause (1 really heavy 6-9 rep set and 1 heavy 10-12 rep set) with 2-3m rest for all exercises as I’ve realized that my recovery is better here at this time. I can have better blasts without compromising recovery. Maybe in another year or so I will change to rest pause. But my joint pains and aches need to go away and learn to handle these changes first.

Leave a comment:

• Doggcrapp
    replied
    I am coming back into this forum but I have reserved one main standard for myself....I cannot possibly write about beginning DC training anymore or ill sprint the other way 24.8 miles per hour. I feel i wrote how to do beginning DC training and how to set everything up and how to rest pause so many times that I am "grandfathered in" to never talk about it again. Its what burned me out many years ago (going back and repeating the same things over and over) so i want to make sure I dont put myself in that position again

Leave a comment:

• Ken "Skip" Hill
    replied
    Originally posted by Ds3317 View Post
    Dc is about pushing the exercise to failure and beating the log book.
    What you’re doing isn’t DC.
    do the 2 way split as written.
    if you don’t want to push to failure on every set and you want to do more volume DC isn’t for you.
    I’m one of those people who honestly cringe when I hear people talk about rir or rpe.
    unless you’ve trained to failure and beyond for a while then you really have nothing to gauge to by.
    I have warm up sets that feel like an rir of 2 then my working set will be 90 more lbs and I’ll beat the last weeks reps or weight by a crazy amount.
    If you’re not recovering don’t back off the intensity lower your volume. Progressive mechanical tension IS the primary driver of growth. Reps in the tank is gains on the table.
    Clearly, you are entitled to your opinion, but when you say, "if you aren't recovering, don't back off on intensity...," that was exactly my advice. So, why would he not want to back off on intensity by not going to failure? You already said he wasn't doing DC training, so am I save to assume that you feel I wasn't doing DC training, either? Or is your response based more on the antiquated thought that the DC program has to be followed with black and white rigidity, when in reality, DC trainers (and DC, himself) have modified the program based on individual needs for years?

I am curious.

And "reps in the tank" is certainly not "gains on the table" if he can't recover from training to failure. And let's not forget that he made it pretty clear he was progressing.

Clearly, I'm in an argumentative mood.

Skip

Leave a comment:

• Ds3317
    replied
    Dc is about pushing the exercise to failure and beating the log book.
    What you’re doing isn’t DC.
    do the 2 way split as written.
    if you don’t want to push to failure on every set and you want to do more volume DC isn’t for you.
    I’m one of those people who honestly cringe when I hear people talk about rir or rpe.
    unless you’ve trained to failure and beyond for a while then you really have nothing to gauge to by.
    I have warm up sets that feel like an rir of 2 then my working set will be 90 more lbs and I’ll beat the last weeks reps or weight by a crazy amount.
    If you’re not recovering don’t back off the intensity lower your volume. Progressive mechanical tension IS the primary driver of growth. Reps in the tank is gains on the table.

Leave a comment:

• DriftKing
    replied
    Thanks Skip,

Appreciate the information. I don’t think I can go to failure every workout especially without a training partner unless I’m using machines or other safe exercises. So I guess I’ll stick to the auto regulating for the time being which has worked great for the last 8 weeks. On a side note, I have added a few more accessories (one widowmaker exercise per bodypart) steering away from the 2 way and seeing how the extra volume affects my recovery. So far so good.

Leave a comment:

• Ken "Skip" Hill
    replied
    I won't say what you are doing is "wrong," but I will say that DC is not about leaving any reps in reserve. Per DC methodology, you should be going to failure.

The caveat is that you are progressing and growing, so it isn't all bad. It just isn't true DC.

I will add one more thing: I made a lot of progress using DC back in 04,05,06, but I could not train with rest pause sets because it was too intense for me to recovery fully. I had to cut back to only straight sets to failure. If you are like me and you find it too much to recover from (going to failure), then stay with what you are doing now.

Skip

Leave a comment:

• DriftKing
    started a topic Rest pause with mini set auto regulation

Rest pause with mini set auto regulation

Hi guys,

I am new to DC training. Have been doing it for 1 solid blast so far coming from a lot of higher volume training in the past.

My question revolves around auto regulation (correct me if I’m wrong)

Currently I am doing a push pull legs split and I’ve made progress with the following rest pause protocol:

For example I have a PPL A, PPL B, and PPL C

Push A day,
    Bench Press 8,3,3
    Military Press 8,3,3
    Tricep Dip 10,4,4
    Machine Chest Fly 12,5,5
    Floor Skullcrushers 15,7,7
    Lateral Raises 20,9,9

Pull A
    T-bar Rows 8,3,3
    Weighted Pull ups 8,3,3
    Bicep Curls 10,4,4
    Reverse Fly 12,5,5
    Hammer Curls 15,7,7
    Upright Rows 20,9,9

Legs A
    Squat 8,3,3
    Sumo Deadlifts 8,3,3
    Leg Extensions 10,4,4
    Leg Curls 12,5,5
    Standing Calf 15,7,7
    Seated Calf 20,9,9

Most of the time, I am always going to failure and my reps always fall within the prescribed ranges that I’ve written but I might be half or one rep left in the tank.

For example, I stick to 8,3,3 rep sets for bench press with 30s rest when I could do 8,4,2 instead. Is this wrong or incorrect? Because instead of doing 8,4,2, I’ll just up the weight next workout and get 8,3,2 and once the reps come back up to 8,3,3; I’ll up the weight again. So my question is that I don’t always go to failure with half or a full rep in reserve to auto regulate for my next workout . I have been progressing really well but sometimes I’m overthinking and wondering if I should just go to complete failure every single set.

Working...
X