Skinny kid at work wants my help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinny kid at work wants my help

I’m no trainer but want to help the kid and he has no money to hire someone. It’s clear that I’m a lifter and people at work ask for programs all the time; and all have done f*ckall with what I’ve provided. For the most part, I put them on a Push/Pull/Legs type thing and knowing they’ll probably not do it because of ‘excuses’, I make it short but productive with primarily compound movements. All of them are in college or college aged. I’m 58, big, friendly and the boss so I suppose they feel comfortable asking.

In my past, I mainly did Mentzer type programs but with a little more volume and frequency....and fairly close to a DC type scheme just out of dumb luck and listening/observing what was happening to me. Best thing ever was my finding DC about 5 years ago; it has helped me tremendously.

Im stating all that because I’m not sure what to do with him. He seems sincere and he lifts at my gym which is a pretty serious place so I think he’ll actually do what I tell him. When I was his age, I was in the Army doing tons of pushups, pull-ups, runs, etc. In basic, I gained 4” on my chest is 6 weeks. In other words, I was on a totally different track at his age so lack weightlifting experience in that time period.

He’s keeping a log for me on some rando 5x5/3x5 type thing so I can gauge his strength and get his feedback on what likes/dislikes.

My first reaction is something like Wendler 5/3/1 and probably Boring But Big. And, for him to eat like it’s his job. I manage a country Club and plan to throw a few chicken breasts his way for free since I know what he makes and doubt he can afford the 5K calories per day

Thoughts?

I’ve always been a believer in going to failure on the first set. It’s hard but it’s always seemed logical to me when trying to beat the log book and determining strength gain but at the same time, I’m not sure it’s appropriate for him. FWIW, I’d guess he’s about 20-21 5’11” or 6’ and weighs 150. He’s getting me stats along with his logbook this week.

Thanks y’all. Sorry for the wall of text.

I don't think your ideas are bad, at all. I also don't think that you will know what might work best for him until you throw something at him and simply evaluate how he progresses and how committed he is to the program -- not just training but eating and recovering, as well. Then, you can adjust based on how he is responding (or isn't).

I would be curious as to how he does, so follow up in here if you would. Good luck!

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Thanks Skip! I did have him keep a log for the last month while he was on some rando 3x5 type program. He clearly lacks a clue and his numbers are like a dog's breakfast....all over the place! And he clearly hasn't really gotten stronger so we've a lot of work ahead. I'll keep y'all up to date and again, thanks for the encouragement!

Comment

I agree with Skip - give him a program, and then assess results.

I'm only chiming in because you specifically mentioned 531 and BBB, and I've been obsessed with 531 for over 2 years straight now. If getting stronger is his priority, I would do OG 531 (PR sets) and for supplemental do 3-5x5 with first set weight (FSL). Kind of like an on ramp to test his recovery. BBB seems like a lot of volume to recover from right off the bat, and more suited to mass gain than strength, assuming diet is adequate of course. He may be fine with BBB, but it could also crush him.

I used DC for most of the years I was competing, and find 531 with PR sets, plus a widowmaker set as the "supplemental" marries the two styles nicely. Wendler even gives Dante credit for his use of widowmakers openly. Food for thought if you are trying to find a way to slowly bring up his numbers and eventually get him on board with DC more fully.
        2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
        2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
        2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
        2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
        2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
          Wendler even gives Dante credit for his use of widowmakers openly.
          I was not aware of that. Very cool.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
          Instagram: @intensemuscle
          YouTube: TEAMSKIP
          TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

It isn't against the rules as much as he and I aren't big fans of each other. Usually, that wouldn't keep me from allowing a post, but I have an issue with his bumptious attitude, so I don't care to support him or his website, if I'm being honest. You did nothing wrong, though. It's my own (and his) issues as to why I edited your comment.

Skip

Comment

Working...
            X