My back is killing me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My back is killing me!

I enjoy that everyone here is into Journals and that there seems to be a great strongman community. I am all about "Training Talk". Looking forward to helping however I can.

I have been working out for about 8 years. I am coming off of a 8 month layoff dude to Patella Tendon Injury and THEN a damn Dislocated Shoulder + Ruptured Bicep tendon + Ruptured Lumbar muscle all at the same time lol.

So I have been back in the gym about 7 weeks.. But I have only been TRAINING for the past 4 weeks. Having said that.. I am already feeling much better in the gym and on my event training. My body has really bounced back well from the layoff.

I was pressed for time today.. only had about 55 minutes to workout. But today was my last heavy day before my next competition.

Box Squats
    135 x 10
    135 x 10 - knees take a bit to get warm.
    225 x 5
    315 x 5 - To a box, an inch below parallel from here on out.
    405 x 5
    455 x 5
    495 x 2
    525 x 1/0 - Missed the 2nd rep.

Yoke - Yoke has always been my worst event. Before my layoff I was doing 800+ on a crappy yoke. I decided to really take my time this go around and make sure my body has time to adjust to the increases in weight.
    350 x 80ft
    440 x 80ft
    550 x 80ft

Rolling Thunder up to 225lbs... Really want to work on my grip and get in the grip stuff at the Arnold next year.

Next week will be a deload week for me and the week after that I will take off completely for my competition on April 10th. So there wont be much exciting stuff going on until after my competition.
    Last edited by Texas Strong; 03-27-2010, 04:32 PM.

nice stuff, I'm definitely going to follow along.

Ill start some training talk since to like to talk about training, lol.

On the box squats, are you doing this in place of squats? or are you working them in?

I'm actually making a simple box out of 4x6 pieces of wood for my box squats, but I'm not going to do them as much as just my regular squats. anyway, have you noticed a good carryover into regular squats?

Also I have heard some talk about box squats engaging the hips more, which leads to better pulls in deadlifts? Have this is been the case for you?

I have only seriously trained yoke twice, and my problem is the stability of the yoke, from swaying around, which slows my pace. What do you find to be the problem with your yoke? since you claim it has been a bad event for you...
    Last edited by thetim; 03-27-2010, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thetim View Post
      On the box squats, are you doing this in place of squats? or are you working them in?
      Well right now I am only doing box squats.. for the two main reasons you stated.
      1. Hip Strength - I use a wide wide stance and push my knees out the whole time Im squatting.
      2. I too have heard that box squats carry over to DL... allowing for more speed off the floor of your deadlift. So thats the plan for now. I guess you will see as I see if they are helping or not lol.

I have only seriously trained yoke twice, and my problem is the stability of the yoke, from swaying around, which slows my pace. What do you find to be the problem with your yoke? since you claim it has been a bad event for you...
      IMO stability with the yoke is a direct relation to Core Strength AND Form.
      Have you ever tried overhead yoke carries? Great core strengthening exersise.

I progressed to fast in the yoke last year... within 2 months of training it I was carrying 800+ and it put a whoopin on my hips. Got so bad I couldnt carry the yoke at all. So this time im backing off a bit and even though 550 is really easy I am just letting my body adjust to the weight as I go.

Also, hand positioning on the yoke and again, form is key.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Strong View Post
        Well right now I am only doing box squats.. for the two main reasons you stated.
        1. Hip Strength - I use a wide wide stance and push my knees out the whole time Im squatting.
        2. I too have heard that box squats carry over to DL... allowing for more speed off the floor of your deadlift. So thats the plan for now. I guess you will see as I see if they are helping or not lol.

IMO stability with the yoke is a direct relation to Core Strength AND Form.
        Have you ever tried overhead yoke carries? Great core strengthening exersise.

I progressed to fast in the yoke last year... within 2 months of training it I was carrying 800+ and it put a whoopin on my hips. Got so bad I couldnt carry the yoke at all. So this time im backing off a bit and even though 550 is really easy I am just letting my body adjust to the weight as I go.

Also, hand positioning on the yoke and again, form is key.
        Im looking forward to seeing how the box squats will carryover to regular squat and deadlifts. On deadlifts, I got decent off the floor power, but lately the above the knee/lockout has been a little bit of the issue. So i have concentrated more on lower back and upper back strength.

My problem on the yoke is my calves, they just kill me, even after farmers walks. usually the foam roller will take away all the pain afterward. I think this happens because I try to move so fast and my calves are doing all the stabilizing.

I haven't tried an overhead yoke, I have tried doing yoke walks while standing on my toes, like i was doing a standing calve raise, this helped a little with core strength and the calves.

I did change my hands from a regular squat type hold to a wider holding the side beams type of hold and that helped a lot. Then the pickup was off, as I was just scraping the ground. The first time i did the yoke i could barely do 500lbs, then i switched the hands and barely did 600+, I fixed the pickup and was doing 700, but still having those stability problems.

My guess was to go back to 620, where I hit 80 feet in a straight shot. Then just work that weight and form, and when I feel good start progressing by 10lbs or so each time I train.

Comment

Ya no reason to rush it... take it slow. I plan to train the yoke weekly between now and August.. In August ill be doing the Plat+ in Dallas where ill have to do a 900lb yoke.

Comment

Sometimes I baffle myself... This week was supposed to be my Deload week.

So I get a call from a fellow lifter (PL'er) and he is about 4 weeks out of his next comp. today is his last day to go for a heavy raw lift so he goats me into a heavy day. I should not have let this happen. Not only do I let him goat me into a heavy workout.. I let him get me into a heavy PL'ing routine 2 weeks before my comp lol.. DOH!

Anyways...

I got there and had to do a little bit of strict pressing atleast...

OH Axle Press (strict)
            165 x 6 x 5

Flat Bench Press - Everything felt extremely heavy today. I am def in need of deload and rest.
            135 x 10
            225 x 10
            315 x 5
            365 x 2
            405 x 2
            405 x 1
            315 x 10

Flat Bench Lockouts
            315 x 3
            405 x 3
            495 x 0 - lol not even sure why I did this...

Tricep Pushdowns x 20 reps

At this point I was definately just distracted and dumb founded as to how I could be so easily swayed lol.. Decided to do some shoulder rehab stuff and call it a day.

Tomorrow will be back to working out by myself lol..

Comment

Went in for some Accessory Back Work and Biceps...

Lat Pulldowns
              180 x 15
              240 x 8
              240 x 8
              240 x 8
              240 x 8

Hammer Strength Iso Rows
              6 plates x 10
              8 plates x 10
              10 plates x 10
              6 plates x 15

Felt Great.. havent had a back pump this good in a while

Shrug Machine
              6 plates x 12
              6 plates x 12
              6 plates x 12

Barbell Curls
              65 x 10
              95 x 10
              135 x 5
              135 x 5
              135 x 5

Dumbell Curls
              50 x 10
              70 x 5
              80 x 5

15 Min Cardio. 4mph at 4 incline.

Weighed in at 321lbs today. Definately feeling strong. Gonna clean up the diet a tad.. nothing drastic. I dont wanna change anything this close to my competition.

Comment

Went in for some Accessory Back Work and Biceps...

Lat Pulldowns
                180 x 15
                240 x 8
                240 x 8
                240 x 8
                240 x 8

Hammer Strength Iso Rows
                6 plates x 10
                8 plates x 10
                10 plates x 10
                6 plates x 15

Felt Great.. havent had a back pump this good in a while

Shrug Machine
                6 plates x 12
                6 plates x 12
                6 plates x 12

Barbell Curls
                65 x 10
                95 x 10
                135 x 5
                135 x 5
                135 x 5

Dumbell Curls
                50 x 10
                70 x 5
                80 x 5

15 Min Cardio. 4mph at 4 incline.

Weighed in at 321lbs today. Definately feeling strong. Gonna clean up the diet a tad.. nothing drastic. I dont wanna change anything this close to my competition.
                What's your diet look like right now bro? I have a contest next weekend too, though in GA. I'm sitting right at 230, trying not to go over.

I appreciate you posting your training...helps out a lot! Esp for a newb to the Strongman Sport
                Central Georgia Strongest Man ~ 2nd Place Novice
                Georgia Strongest Man ~ 5th
                NWGA Muscle Strongman ~ 5th
                2010 Ironfest Challenge ~ 3rd
                2011 NAS Florida Strongman Championship ~ 2nd
                2011 Central GA Strongest Man ~ 8th (Wont Ever happen again)
                2011 Beast of the Bluegrass ~ 5th
                2011 GA Strongest Man ~ 4th
                2011 Emerald Coast Strongest Man ~ 2nd

Use the discount code KEM721 and get 5% off at Trueprotein.com.

Comment

damn you're strong!

Comment

Originally posted by fubaseball View Post
                    What's your diet look like right now bro? I have a contest next weekend too, though in GA. I'm sitting right at 230, trying not to go over.

I appreciate you posting your training...helps out a lot! Esp for a newb to the Strongman Sport
                    My diet... hmmm lol.

Yesterday it went something like this...

5:30 am - Shake with Whey and Casein, PB, Banana, Oats

8:00 am - Cereal

1:00 pm - Pizza buffet... blah lol.

3:00 pm - Pre Workout Supps

6:00 pm - PWO Shake, Creatine..

8:30 pm - Pasta

That was not a good example as I usually eat better... but right now I am more or less just eating when im hungry. Trying not to force feed anymore. When I stop making strength gains.. then ill look at upping my calories.

Yesterday I was probably doing good to get 4500+ calories.

Typical Meal plan for me would be something like this:
                    5am - Shake, 100g whey, PB, Banana, Oats

7:45am - Bagel w/ Cream Cheese.. maybe 2 of them.

10:00am - Maybe a weight gainer or PB Sandwhich

1:00 pm - Lunch, generally out to eat with a client. Usually a steak or some form of meat.

3:30pm - Pre Workout supps and I drink waxy maize during workouts.

6:00 pm - PWO Shake and supps

8:30pm - Im poor so I eat a lot of pasta, but generally its whole wheat with 96/4 ground beef and smart choice sauce to avoid all the sugars. If im feeling rich I will go get me a 20oz steak, potato and vegetable of some sort.

11:00pm - if im still awake ill drink 40 - 60 grams of Casein before bed.

Thats typical for me during the week.

Comment

Originally posted by dropshot001 View Post
                      damn you're strong!
                      Thanks, but I defiantely need to get stronger lol.

I have a small comp April 10th in Dallas then I will be focusing on nothing but the Dallas Plat+ in August. Giddy up!

Comment

My diet... hmmm lol.

Yesterday it went something like this...

5:30 am - Shake with Whey and Casein, PB, Banana, Oats

8:00 am - Cereal

1:00 pm - Pizza buffet... blah lol.

3:00 pm - Pre Workout Supps

6:00 pm - PWO Shake, Creatine..

8:30 pm - Pasta

That was not a good example as I usually eat better... but right now I am more or less just eating when im hungry. Trying not to force feed anymore. When I stop making strength gains.. then ill look at upping my calories.

Yesterday I was probably doing good to get 4500+ calories.

Typical Meal plan for me would be something like this:
                        5am - Shake, 100g whey, PB, Banana, Oats

7:45am - Bagel w/ Cream Cheese.. maybe 2 of them.

10:00am - Maybe a weight gainer or PB Sandwhich

1:00 pm - Lunch, generally out to eat with a client. Usually a steak or some form of meat.

3:30pm - Pre Workout supps and I drink waxy maize during workouts.

6:00 pm - PWO Shake and supps

8:30pm - Im poor so I eat a lot of pasta, but generally its whole wheat with 96/4 ground beef and smart choice sauce to avoid all the sugars. If im feeling rich I will go get me a 20oz steak, potato and vegetable of some sort.

11:00pm - if im still awake ill drink 40 - 60 grams of Casein before bed.

Thats typical for me during the week.
                        did you use this basic plan to gain weight, or was that a different plan, and this is just a maintain type deal.

Comment

Yes.. I used the basic plan to gain weight.. only thing that would change would be my quantities at each meal.

Also if I was really trying to gain weight then my 10am would almost ALWAYS be weight gainer.

Comment

Yes.. I used the basic plan to gain weight.. only thing that would change would be my quantities at each meal.

Also if I was really trying to gain weight then my 10am would almost ALWAYS be weight gainer.
                            maybe I need to look over my diet, somethings wrong on my end, lol

Comment

maybe I need to look over my diet, somethings wrong on my end, lol
                              Post your diet and stats in your journal... ill look at it and offer some advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X