Boons Training Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boons Training Journal

I'm doing a strongman comp on May 8th so this week is 11 weeks out.

ME Upper-

CG Bench-
    235 x 1 (PR)

Power Snatch-
    95 x 3 x 3

Military DB Press ss. Pull Ups
    55 x 6 - BW+1 chain x 6
    55 x 6 - BW+2 chains x 6
    55 x 6 - BW+2 chains x 6

Jump Rope ss Hanging Leg Raise
    100 skips - 5 leg raises
    100 skips - 5 leg raises
    100 skips - 5 leg raises

Med Ball Slams-
    8# x 5 front/5 per side
    8# x 6 front/6 per side
    Trey Potter CSCS

sigpic

Remember, if you can’t pick it, grow it, or kill it, you shouldn’t be eating it.- Justin Harris

Bodybuilding is stressful. The joy is seeing how incredibly the body adapts. The smart thing is to keep the machine as healthy as possible along the way, IMO.- Homon[/FONT]

im assuming the Kansas strongest man?

are you currently a light or heavyweight?

Comment

Yea it was the Kansas Strongest Man. I found out last night that a couple of our friends who are getting married in May moved their wedding from the 1st to the 8th. If my fiance wasn't in the wedding I'd probably just say fuck it and do the competition but as for right now it's not going to happen.
      Trey Potter CSCS

sigpic

Remember, if you can’t pick it, grow it, or kill it, you shouldn’t be eating it.- Justin Harris

Bodybuilding is stressful. The joy is seeing how incredibly the body adapts. The smart thing is to keep the machine as healthy as possible along the way, IMO.- Homon[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by boondocksmuscle View Post
        Yea it was the Kansas Strongest Man. I found out last night that a couple of our friends who are getting married in May moved their wedding from the 1st to the 8th. If my fiance wasn't in the wedding I'd probably just say fuck it and do the competition but as for right now it's not going to happen.
        that kind of sucks, at least you found out right now, instead of 1-2 weeks out...

so what does your overall training split look like?

Comment

I'm experimenting with WSB style split.

Day 1- ME Upper (OH press, CG press, Floor Press)
          Day 2- ME Lower (Front squat, Zercher squat, Box Squat, Deficit Deads)
          Day 3- RE Upper
          Day 4- DE Lower

I'm not deadlifting often because I'm working on bringing up some specific weak points through my accessory work. It's also a giant mind-fuck for me so I'm just going to step back from them for a bit.

This week will be different because all I'm doing is my two ME days then I have the chance to train events Saturday so I'm going to take advantage of that. Sunday will be completely off and a high carb day (I'm also in the process of dieting).
          Trey Potter CSCS

sigpic

Comment

I got to do some event training this past weekend at the Dino Gym Strongman Club and it was a blast. Worked with some log pressing, axle pressing, and the yoke walk.
            Trey Potter CSCS

sigpic

Comment

ME Upper
              Clean & Press-
              185 x 1 (PR)
              195 x cleaned, 1/2 press

Dips/Sit Ups/Chins-
              10 reps per exercise x 3 rounds

My left elbow still has some tendinitis. It's getting better but dips still sucked. The first round I did wide grip pull ups but that really set my elbow off. I switched to reverse grip chins and it backed off some so I stuck with them for the last round too.

I'll doing a lot of ice massage, cross-friction massage, self-myofascial release, and gentle stretching in the next couple weeks.
              Trey Potter CSCS

sigpic

Comment

This workout is from Friday the 12th.

Stair Jumps- 4 sets x 2 reps

Jump Rope- Double Jumps x didn't count

Broad Jumps- 3 sets x 2 reps

Jump Rope- Double Jumps x didn't count

Stair Sprints- 6 total

[YOUTUBE]ylKAzYBuI8I[/YOUTUBE]
                Trey Potter CSCS

sigpic

Comment

So you aren't competing in the one competition...but have you looked into any others you may want to compete in?
                  Originally posted by MoGeaYuglay
                  "DC is for people who are seriously stuck or advanced (which a 16 year is not, even if they started training at 5y/o), here's 5x5 (insert madcow's link), you'll grow better with this
                  -the management"
                  "Any action without purpose is meaningless."

Comment

Not yet. I'm getting married in June and money is very tight at the moment. I might start looking into doing one this fall. The only reason I had decided to try the May competition was because it was pretty close to home.
                    Trey Potter CSCS

sigpic

Comment

Yesterdays Training

Suspended Dips-
                      BW x 3 x 5 reps

Suspended Flys-
                      BW x 3 x 6 reps

Suspended Fat Grip Inverted Rows-
                      BW x 3 x 10 reps

Tire 1/2 Flip ss. Jump Rope
                      5 flips - 100 skips
                      5 flips - 100 skips

I made my own blast straps/TRX yesterday so I decided to play with it since once again I had no access to a gym. The tire 1/2 flip was done with the tire laying a foot or two from a brick wall. What I did was try to take it in one smooth motion from the ground up to my shoulders and then threw it as hard as I could into the wall.

Later that evening I had my training class over in the park so I jumped in with them for some conditioning.

Overhead Iso Drag x 40 yards
                      Hand Over Hand Sled Drag x 20 yards
                      Backwards Sled Drag x 20 yards
                      10 Table Jumps
                      Table Push x 40 yards (20 high/20 low)
                      (Two rounds total)

Finished off with 2 rounds of flying sledge wings. Basically one person pulls the sled one big jerk at a time and the other has to do a broad jump after it and hit it each time it stops. I'll get a video of it next time.
                      Trey Potter CSCS

sigpic

Comment

Sandbag Front Squat- 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Sandbag High Pulls- 10, 10, 10

Split Squats- 10, 10 per leg

BTB Around The Worlds- 10, 10, 10

That was it for the day. The sleds and table pushing last night tore up my legs.
                        Trey Potter CSCS

sigpic

Comment

[YOUTUBE]lCpLAQ_DH9U[/YOUTUBE]
                          Trey Potter CSCS

sigpic

Comment

AM- Low Intensity Cardio x 20 minutes

PM- Sled Pulling

Sled x 5 minutes continuous
                            Sled + 60 x 5 minutes continuous (split as best I could between forwards and backwards pulling)
                            Last edited by boondocksmuscle; 03-19-2010, 01:52 PM.
                            Trey Potter CSCS

sigpic

Comment

We have comps in Colorado!
                              www.coloradostrongman.com
                              I can work a deal on the entry fee for either the April 10th or June 12th show. I understand weddings can empty the wallet.

Comment

Working...
                              X