• Show
Clear All

• Old Iron
    replied
    Fantastic lifter, great experience.

Leave a comment:

• Vernnall
    replied
    He is really an interesting person. Lucky u are!

Leave a comment:

• homonunculus
    replied
    Originally posted by Andre Gregoire View Post
    Yeah it was pretty cool. He mentioned that he's been asked to write a book a few times and is considering it.

I don't know why the rule changed for Farmer's Walk.

My grip sucks so if it was one drop, I would get really bad placings. On the negative side since I drop often typically 3-4 times, I need to Deadlift it often and I get more burnt out then if I would have stopped. He said one drop is easier on the guys.
    1 drop changes the nature of the lift, too: A weaker grip and a great "gym" DL'er (with straps) or otherwise speedy guy might not do too well...

-S

Leave a comment:

• Andre Gregoire
    replied
    Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
    Andre,

Now that's some cool stuff. I tell you, I like the strrongmen a good bit, actually. If someone put together a memoire or an insider's look (there may be such a thing), I'd likely buy it.

What a great opportunity...

Why has the rule on the farmer's walk changed?...

-S
    Yeah it was pretty cool. He mentioned that he's been asked to write a book a few times and is considering it.

I don't know why the rule changed for Farmer's Walk.

My grip sucks so if it was one drop, I would get really bad placings. On the negative side since I drop often typically 3-4 times, I need to Deadlift it often and I get more burnt out then if I would have stopped. He said one drop is easier on the guys.

Leave a comment:

• claymore
    replied
    A true legend !!!!

Leave a comment:

• nexa
    replied
    It's always nice to hear when people are down to earth and the like.

Leave a comment:

• homonunculus
    replied
    Andre,

Now that's some cool stuff. I tell you, I like the strrongmen a good bit, actually. If someone put together a memoire or an insider's look (there may be such a thing), I'd likely buy it.

What a great opportunity...

Why has the rule on the farmer's walk changed?...

-S

Leave a comment:

• Andre Gregoire
    replied
    Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
    Cool stuff.

Did Magnus give a talk or anything (perhaps impromptu)?...

-S
    He was the celebrity referee, didn't really give a talk but dropped some anecdotes through out the day.

He's a humble guy which isn't the case for all Pro Stronman I have met.

He mentioned things like:

-the two times he finished second at worlds was because he had the flu.

-he wasn't the biggest or the strongest guy but he was smart and that's why he was a winner. He told us while other competitors were getting psyched up and aggressive and testing the weight of the implements he would go around the track and look if there were any uneven spots or whatever that he would need to avoid.

-he said he never showboated, he never put on a show for the audience, always was strategic about events. In Strongman some guys stop when they have enough reps to beat their opponent and save energy for the next event. Some guys like showing off and giving the audience a show, he didn't do that.

-One of the events was Farmer's Walk, he was the ref so decided the rules. He wanted the old school rule of one drop only. Back in the day you would pick and run and if you drop it's over. He talked about old school events with a smile.

-He trained with Jón Páll Sigmarsson and said he learned a lot from him.

-He said he spent some time training Hafthor "Thor" Bjornsson but wasn't anymore, I think they had a falling out, not sure.

-He said he was good friends with Manfred Hoeberl, I asked if those arms were filled with Synthol, he said no comment and tried to hide his smile. He had the chance to shit talk but never did.

-In 1992 he finished second at WSM to Ted van der Parre, it's been said he told Ted it was the luckiest day of his life. Magnus was asked about this and said yep, it was the best present he will ever get. Magnus was doing the Hussafel stone and tried to re-grip and dropped the stone early in the race so Parre easily beat him. This mistake will haunt him the rest of his life.

Leave a comment:

• homonunculus
    replied
    Cool stuff.

Did Magnus give a talk or anything (perhaps impromptu)?...

-S

Leave a comment:

• Andre Gregoire
    replied
    If I look like a midget in the pic it's because I am a midget. 5'6" 215lbs.. lol

Martin check the Hyperforce facebook page, I only have a few videos right now, I am waiting for others to send them to me for posting.

https://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength

I still can't get over how nice he is.

Leave a comment:

• Quadriceps
    replied
    Magnus is a cool dude. When I was starting out we trained at the same gym, and he had no problems spotting a skinny kid like me struggling with squatting 2 plates or giving tips on deadlift form.

Leave a comment:

• martin_h
    replied
    Any vids of the comp dude?

Leave a comment:

• v1hyp
    replied
    Cool!

Leave a comment:

• Andre Gregoire
    started a topic Me and Magnus Ver Magnusson

Me and Magnus Ver Magnusson

Today our training crew, Hyperforce Strength Athletics helped organize a Pro Strongman competition and I got to meet Magnus Ver..

He's a really cool guy, very down to earth and charismatic.

I feel like a kid on Christmas. Had breakfast, lunch and dinner with him and he was the ref for the comp.
    Attached Files
Working...
X