X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first contest

I got a flyer across my desk at the club I manage today for this event:

http://www.conversetx.net/index.aspx?nid=205

It's local, and I figure what the heck. I have a USAPL powerlifting meet 2 weeks before this, and I'm not trying to be an elite level strongman or anything, just want to have some fun, and drink some beers afterwards :-)

I currently train 5/3/1 for raw powerlifting M/T/Th/F. I don't have access to many implements, so I just want to train as best I can for this to not completely embarrass myself. I have DB up to 100lbs at my club, thicker BB than are standard (but certainly not an axel), a 200-300lb tire. I was thinking of just coming in Saturday mornings to do some event style training as best I can.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about this from some guys with experience... particularly with limited equipment?
    -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
    -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
    198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
    -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
    198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
    -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
    198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

I just started training for Strongman like 2 months ago so take this for what it's worth.

I hooked up with a group of local strongman and now have access to their implements. The rent a school gym 2hrs per week so every extra person helps to pay the rent and buy new implements. If you can find a group I am sure they will welcome you.

Besides that I looked on kijiji and other local classified ads every day for stuff. I bought weight plates for less than 50 cents per pound, got a weight tree for free, some old bars for free. Bought a sled for 20$. Classified adds are a gold mine.

I made farmer's walk handles and a chain yoke and I am not very handy.

Bought 20$ Fat Gripz knock offs to turn normal bars, dumbells into thick ones: http://www.fatgripz.com/images/img13.jpg

>ONE ARM DUMBELL CLEAN AND PRESS: Contestant will clean and press a series of 4 dumbells, one time each in >progressive order for best time. 60 second time limit.

You can do this in a gym no problem, I would try to find out the weights asap so that you can train as heavy or heavier then the comp.

>TIRE FLIP /SLED DRAG: Contestant will flip tire 50 feet, then drag sled backwards 50 feet for best time (75 second time >limit).

I haven't done Tire yet so no feedback but I have been told it's easy to get for free at heavy machinery places and anywhere they sell tractor tires.

If you can't buy a sled, you can make one, just take a toboggan, screw a plumbing nipple on it and you can load weight. Some people use a car tire to make a sled.

Worst case drag some plates on a rubber mat or something, get some chains at hardware store, loop them in your weight belt.

>>AXLE DEADLIFT LAST MAN STANDING: NO straps and NO suits. Chalk ok, no tacky.

Get fat gripz use regular bar with over under grip. Find out how high the bar is, with tires on the axle it might start at 16-18" so traing that range of motion.

>>LOAD/ PROWLER PUSH MEDLEY: Contestant will start with hand on prowler, At the whistle, he/she will sprint to the >>1st of 3 mystery objects and load them one at a time in order into the prowler basket (carrying in front of the body >>only). Then prowler is to be pushed 50 feet to finish line where competitor will unload objects. Clock stops when last >>object is standing on the ground. 90 seconnd time limit.

get some sand bags duck tape them together, get some natural stones try to find the in the water they are smoother, lift heavy stuff and walk 50 feet with ...lol

put a small car in neutral and push it..

>>ATLAS STONE LOAD: 5 stones loaded onto platform for best time

Find out how heavy they are and how high the platform is. In the gym you can take 45lb plates and stack them. Start by placing a 10lb at the bottom so you can get your hands around it.

For stones the first part of the movement is like a stiff leg deadlift, pendlay rows also help with getting the back involved in the lapping of the stone, then you go into a front squat up and sort of a power clean, you can train all those movements.
    If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
    http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
    2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
    2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

How to make farmers handles: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-walk-handles/

Chain Yoke: http://ironstrong.org/index.php?/top...in-yoke-ideas/

I didn't do it this way. I got chains (support 1100lbs) and carabiners (support 400lbs) and place them on a normal 1" bar. Basically put a 2.5lb plate on the bar, put the chain, put another 2.5lb plate and then the collar. This sandwiches the chain in place, loop the chain through some plates.

I also did a lot of reading. This is my favorite article: HOW TO GET STARTED IN STRONGMAN http://ontariostrongman.ca/resources...ic_primer.html

Comment

Hey man, have fun. I think that's all your after. If the powerlifting meet is a priority then I wouldn't start "training" for strongman. Just show up and have fun.
        Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
        Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
        Nicki Minaj

Comment

I'm getting ready for my first competition as well, the bad thing about it is. I will only have 4 weeks of strongman training before the comp. it's on Nov 10. It's kinda weird setup the events are sandbag carry and load, farmers walk for weight( load your own weight walk down, load on more weight and repeat until you can't go any further) log press( the only thing I'm really good at so far), chain drag, and a mystery event. Being I'm so new to this all what would be a good recommendation on how I should I train to prepare for this?
          Last edited by AZ Muscle; 10-26-2012, 12:10 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
          "Let's open a can of kick ass and kill em all, let the paramedics sort 'em out"

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Muscle View Post
            I'm getting ready for my first competition as well, the bad thing about it is. I will only have 4 weeks of strongman training before the comp. it's on Nov 10. It's kinda weird setup the events are sandbag carry and load, farmers walk for weight( load your own weight walk down, load on more weight and repeat until you can't go any further) log press( the only thing I'm really good at so far), chain drag, and a mystery event. Being I'm so new to this all what would be a good recommendation on how I should I train to prepare for this?
            I would train only these events every 4-5 days then take the last 4-5 days off to be well rested. Carb-up before the event, get a lot of sleep and give him hell.

Everyone tells me to compete as often as you can in Strongman, you won't regret it. The more you compete the better you get, simple as that.

Comment

Thanks Andre, I will certainly take your advise. I have heard its wise to go and get a deep tissue message a few days before the event to get your muscle as prepared as possible. Have heard of anything like this? How intense should the workouts be? Any tips of form for the sand bag carry/load event? Appreciate your input
              "Let's open a can of kick ass and kill em all, let the paramedics sort 'em out"

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Muscle View Post
                Thanks Andre, I will certainly take your advise. I have heard its wise to go and get a deep tissue message a few days before the event to get your muscle as prepared as possible. Have heard of anything like this? How intense should the workouts be? Any tips of form for the sand bag carry/load event? Appreciate your input
                Sorry man, I just saw this, usually get email alerts to my subscribed threads.

Often the last week before a powerlifting meet or strongman comp you take the week off or only do light training with foam rolling, cardio, stretching and deep tissue massage.

I have never had the deep tissue massage before a comp but I hear it's a good idea.

I would make the workouts as intense as possible up until the last week and then maybe do a light workout or none at all.

For the sandbag, usually the guys who take the time to put it over their shoulders end up being too slow so avoid doing that if you can. If you grip sucks then you might have to.

Besides that if you can grip the bag really low and then lean back a lot it makes for an easier walk IMO but it kind of depends on your biomechanics, the best advice is try different ways and you will quickly see what works for you.

Train a bit heavier and farther then what the contest requires so the contest will be easier for you.

Comment

Working...
                X