2011 wsm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 wsm

Anyone been keeping up with this? I really tried staying off the site until they aired it on ESPN, I think sometime in December, but damn it's hard.

-Ten Finalist-
    Brian Shaw
    Thor Bjornsson
    Ervin Katona
    Laurence Shahlaei
    Terry Hollands
    Vytautas Lalas
    Zydrunas Savickas
    Mike Jenkins
    Derek Poundstone
    Stefan Solvi Petursson

Brian Shaw was listed at 460 pounds, the dudes MASSIVE. I'm really pulling for Poundstone and Shaw.
    …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

I saw a spreadsheet of all the times and reps from every group. Poundstone was in the top out of ALL the heats. I think he has a really good chance. Between him and shaw, the title is coming back to the USA
    Central Georgia Strongest Man ~ 2nd Place Novice
    Georgia Strongest Man ~ 5th
    NWGA Muscle Strongman ~ 5th
    2010 Ironfest Challenge ~ 3rd
    2011 NAS Florida Strongman Championship ~ 2nd
    2011 Central GA Strongest Man ~ 8th (Wont Ever happen again)
    2011 Beast of the Bluegrass ~ 5th
    2011 GA Strongest Man ~ 4th
    2011 Emerald Coast Strongest Man ~ 2nd

Use the discount code KEM721 and get 5% off at Trueprotein.com.

Comment

I've been watching poundstone's facebook but I can't say I know too much of what is going on until I actually end up watching them on tv.
      Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
      FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
      www.316fit.com
      Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
        I've been watching poundstone's facebook but I can't say I know too much of what is going on until I actually end up watching them on tv.
        Are you on marunde-muscle? It's a strongman forum, there is a lot of intel as to what is going on there

Comment

Originally posted by fubaseball View Post
          Are you on marunde-muscle? It's a strongman forum, there is a lot of intel as to what is going on there
          Yep i'm over there.. don't post much and haven't followed the WSM thread yet. been doing a bit of searching and reading trying to figure things out.

I need to start a collection of shit in my garage/build a small shed for things I can do at my house.. there isn't much stuff around town for me to do strongman with.

www.316fit.com

Comment

I ended up getting a tire for free on craigslist, 600lb tire, and bought a stone mold from Slater Hardware, made a platform in my garage for the stone. I've also got a stone for outside use, shouldering, farmer squats, etc. You can always go to an old tire shop and ask for a tractor tire, usually they give them to you since it costs them to recycle them.
            …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Yep i'm over there.. don't post much and haven't followed the WSM thread yet. been doing a bit of searching and reading trying to figure things out.

I need to start a collection of shit in my garage/build a small shed for things I can do at my house.. there isn't much stuff around town for me to do strongman with.
              I don't post much either. They aren't on Tapatalk and I don't have a home comp, so it's hard to navigate on my phone lol

A garage will work for just about everything. You can do you just about everything strongman out of a garage. We train in a 2 bay garage.

Comment

Originally posted by mark! View Post
                I ended up getting a tire for free on craigslist, 600lb tire, and bought a stone mold from Slater Hardware, made a platform in my garage for the stone. I've also got a stone for outside use, shouldering, farmer squats, etc. You can always go to an old tire shop and ask for a tractor tire, usually they give them to you since it costs them to recycle them.
                I'll be looking around for a tractor tire. Haven't seen it on craigslist, but the tire place I went to was just for car tires and I got my sled tire there.. I'll have to look around but surely there are a ton of places here in kansas (and near me.. lots of farmland).

The guys about 2 hours from me are all pretty cool, and I think they have the slater molds so hopefully i can throw them a bit of cash and have some stones made and bring them back home.. Gotta get a truck for all of this.. my prius can't handle it

Originally posted by fubaseball View Post
                I don't post much either. They aren't on Tapatalk and I don't have a home comp, so it's hard to navigate on my phone lol

A garage will work for just about everything. You can do you just about everything strongman out of a garage. We train in a 2 bay garage.

That's encouraging. I could park my cars out in the driveway, but the nice thing about a garage is the lack of ice on my car when I get in it in the wintertime.. I am going to hit up my neighbor about building a shed - he has mentioned that he wanted to do it.. So I figure we can work together and knock out both of our sheds in no time. I'm hoping I can do something like a 10'x15' in my backyard.. I just have to ask him how big he is ok with me making - don't want to make it so big it pisses him off or takes up my entire back yard.

www.316fit.com

Comment

I've got my Atlas stones, 600lb tire, and soon farmers walk handles and hopefully a log in my garage, along with my plates, squat rack and bench. I have a medium sized mold, 160-180lb stones from it. We've got family in Kansas city so when we come visit them hopefully this winter I'll let you know and bring you a small stone to play with. Horse stall mats, don't pay $60 for those thick fitness mats. You can get horse stall mats for about $30 at tractor supply.

Sent from my Samsung captivate using tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mark! View Post
                    I've got my Atlas stones, 600lb tire, and soon farmers walk handles and hopefully a log in my garage, along with my plates, squat rack and bench. I have a medium sized mold, 160-180lb stones from it. We've got family in Kansas city so when we come visit them hopefully this winter I'll let you know and bring you a small stone to play with. Horse stall mats, don't pay $60 for those thick fitness mats. You can get horse stall mats for about $30 at tractor supply.

Sent from my Samsung captivate using tapatalk
                    Badass man! Definitely let me know on that. I'm going to try and see what kind of money I have over the next month or two because I could go crazy with this kind of stuff. I did find someone on craigslist nearby offering:

STRONGMAN/LIFTING EQUIPMENT

Farmer's Implements made by PitBull Strongman Equipment $125 for set
                    Econo-Prowler from EliteFTS.com $250.00
                    Atlas Stone (made with a mold, smooth, strong) apx 140 pounds $60
                    Keg with water in it $10.00
                    Everlast Heavy Bag $50.00

the prowler is just a waste of money in my opinion.. I don't really know about the farmer's if they're a good deal or not though.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Badass man! Definitely let me know on that. I'm going to try and see what kind of money I have over the next month or two because I could go crazy with this kind of stuff. I did find someone on craigslist nearby offering:

STRONGMAN/LIFTING EQUIPMENT

Farmer's Implements made by PitBull Strongman Equipment $125 for set
                      Econo-Prowler from EliteFTS.com $250.00
                      Atlas Stone (made with a mold, smooth, strong) apx 140 pounds $60
                      Keg with water in it $10.00
                      Everlast Heavy Bag $50.00

the prowler is just a waste of money in my opinion.. I don't really know about the farmer's if they're a good deal or not though.
                      If you know a welder/fabricator you could get farmers made for dirt cheap! $10 for a keg is good!!! Just fill it with sand to heavy it up. Too bad you aren't in the south, could hook you up with a nice set of stones for about $200. I think we paid $30-40 for our last stone, 285#

Comment

Koklyaev's not competing this year? Fucking shame, he's one of my favorites.
                        Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Originally posted by Carlito Gambino View Post
                          Koklyaev's not competing this year? Fucking shame, he's one of my favorites.
                          Didn't he announce last year he was going to return to Olympic lifting instead of strongman training? I think there was a thread on that somewhere else.

Curious how it's going to pan out, if there's bad weather, I'm assuming the finals would be postponed? That could play huge in anyones favor.
                          Last edited by mark!; 09-20-2011, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Ah yes, I believe he might've said that. Can't blame him, he's more of an Oly lifter anyway. In that case I'm curious to see what Katona and Poundstone can do. Saw Katona here in Holland a few months back, he's a really impressive guy, has a lot of potential. Same goes for Shahlaei.
                            Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Brian Shaw took it! http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/20336
                              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                              kind of a douche

Comment

Working...
                              X