Stone trouble...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone trouble...

I have always been good at doing the stones, but the past few months my stone performance has gone WAY down.

Just in December I loaded a 400 stone and a couple months ago I had loaded a 330 stone with no tape, tacky or anything.

Now I can't even load the 330 all slathered up with tacky. I don't have the top end strength I use to... I can lap it all day, but from there I have no upward strength.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Central Georgia Strongest Man ~ 2nd Place Novice
    Georgia Strongest Man ~ 5th
    NWGA Muscle Strongman ~ 5th
    2010 Ironfest Challenge ~ 3rd
    2011 NAS Florida Strongman Championship ~ 2nd
    2011 Central GA Strongest Man ~ 8th (Wont Ever happen again)
    2011 Beast of the Bluegrass ~ 5th
    2011 GA Strongest Man ~ 4th
    2011 Emerald Coast Strongest Man ~ 2nd

Use the discount code KEM721 and get 5% off at Trueprotein.com.

Cleans, lox box squats with bands, maybe rack deadlifts, standing gm's.

I took over three months off from stones, and after doing just the stuff above, I was barely even lapping the stones. I got it up to my knees re gripped almost standing up and then just loaded them over the bar.

also I found a lot of work without a belt has gotten me a tight core, and that really helped as well, I was able to keep my abs tight during each rep.

Comment

Originally posted by thetim View Post
      Cleans, lox box squats with bands, maybe rack deadlifts, standing gm's.

I took over three months off from stones, and after doing just the stuff above, I was barely even lapping the stones. I got it up to my knees re gripped almost standing up and then just loaded them over the bar.

also I found a lot of work without a belt has gotten me a tight core, and that really helped as well, I was able to keep my abs tight during each rep.
      Thanks Tim! I don't do a whole lot with a belt, just when things get heavy in poundage.

See I'm not sure why my stones have drastically sucked lol I'm training the same as I always have and kept things the same. But all of the sudden, they have plummeted! Not a good feeling

Comment

Do you front squat often? Adding them in may help to boost your stone loading strength since you will not have to worry about being 'explosive' and can then just power the stones onto platforms.

Another option would be front box squats with bands, these work well if you want something more dynamic and really want to overload the top portion of the lift.
        105 Kg Pro Strongman
        Former NAS National Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Shakes View Post
          Do you front squat often? Adding them in may help to boost your stone loading strength since you will not have to worry about being 'explosive' and can then just power the stones onto platforms.

Another option would be front box squats with bands, these work well if you want something more dynamic and really want to overload the top portion of the lift.
          I front squat some... Not as much as I need to. But I never really have. I was always good at stones before. That's what I don't get. How it just all of the started declining.

I did a few stones the other day just to work on some new things. I was able to lap and load the 310 stone with no tacky or tape surprisingly easily. I quit there because I didn't want to push it this last week before the Beast of the Blue Grass.

It's just frustrating to know that I have loaded a 400lb stone an now 330 is a struggle

Comment

i had this problem for a while. one thing that i came up with to help is something i simply called "lap lifts" lap a stone, and lift from there up as high as you can, almost shouldering it. DONT DROP IT DOWN! lower it back to your lap and go again! its like doing rack pulls for lock out strength in regular deadlifts, except its specific to stones.

Comment

Originally posted by Nova Scotian View Post
              i had this problem for a while. one thing that i came up with to help is something i simply called "lap lifts" lap a stone, and lift from there up as high as you can, almost shouldering it. DONT DROP IT DOWN! lower it back to your lap and go again! its like doing rack pulls for lock out strength in regular deadlifts, except its specific to stones.
              Thanks bro! I have actually done those some. Those along with front squats have brought my stones back up. At the GA Strongest Man in June, I loaded the 390 stone with no tape/tacky on forearms. Just a little tack on my hands

Comment

no problem man. front squats are great. i hate them, but they really do carry over into pretty much anysport! box squats, preferably with bands also helped my stone lifting out alot

Comment

Originally posted by Nova Scotian View Post
                  no problem man. front squats are great. i hate them, but they really do carry over into pretty much anysport! box squats, preferably with bands also helped my stone lifting out alot
                  I haven't done box squats since HS football. I may need to add them in. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X