137lb MONSTERBELL @156

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 137lb MONSTERBELL @156

Thought I'd show you guys my new toy, I havent posted here in a while but im training for nationals in the 175 class. we're using this db but with a smaller handle and 13lb heavier. I'm looking for any tips on working on my leg drive or lockout. Can anyone tell what needs more work and what exercises i can add to get better at this?

[youtube]zzt8-9ac23c[/youtube]

no tips from me....that's some awesome stuff though

Comment

Nice!
      Please follow my blog. You can click "Follow" in the upper right hand corner. http://www.benbruno.blogspot.com/

Use BNB559 as a discount code at checkout from trueprotein.com for a hefty discount. You will not regret it.

Here is some of my lifting. Please subscribe to my channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bruno082985

Comment

nice! no tips but a question...

whats the cvs pharmacy stuff?
        Max Muscle
        5020 Katella Ave.
        Los Alamitos, CA 90720
        www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Try pulling you elbow in some instead of flaring out to the side and when you clean it, rest the bottom of the dumbell on you shoulder. So it's almost standing straight up, it will be more like a tricep press this way. Those are tips from the GA Strongman Chairman. It has helped our crew out tremendously! Just give it a try and see how you like it
          Central Georgia Strongest Man ~ 2nd Place Novice
          Georgia Strongest Man ~ 5th
          NWGA Muscle Strongman ~ 5th
          2010 Ironfest Challenge ~ 3rd
          2011 NAS Florida Strongman Championship ~ 2nd
          2011 Central GA Strongest Man ~ 8th (Wont Ever happen again)
          2011 Beast of the Bluegrass ~ 5th
          2011 GA Strongest Man ~ 4th
          2011 Emerald Coast Strongest Man ~ 2nd

Use the discount code KEM721 and get 5% off at Trueprotein.com.

Comment

I have never done strong man stuff but from watching the video, I would say more leg drive when bringing it up to your shoulder, looks like your using almost all lower back to swing it up to your shoulder. I would think if you dropped under it like a clean and press you could be more efficient with the move. IMO
            2014 NPC Mr MN State TBD
            2012 NPC MN state 40+ 1st and 3rd Hvy *Injury :frusty:
            2012 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 1st SuperHvy
            2011 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 2nd Open Hvy.
            2011 NPC Upper Midwest 40+ 1st and Super Hvy 1st
            2009 Gopher State 4th Hvy and 4th Masters 40+
            *11 Natural contest 1992-2000 placed top 4 of all
            88 Natural Mr MN 2nd Teen
            88 Gopher State 4th Teen Hvy Div 176lbs

Comment

Hey thanks a lot guys

Theroy- It's a very expensive dumbbell and my neighbor, who is a pharmacist at a CVS, gave this poor college kid the extra money he needed to buy it. So i thought it'd be humorous to make the CVS logo with the vid

fubaseball- thank you for the advice. I must ask if you have trained on a monsterbell before with that technique? The reason I ask is b/c I have a loadable 2.5 inch dumbbell and always used the technique you described, but the slaters mbell is way too large and the technique makes it harder for me (i can barely get 100lb on it). But I'm definately open to new techniques if you have any vids of guys doing it? I've been on youtube a lot and everyone seems to have the same technique with where it is on their shoulder. My lockout is most likely my weak point so any technique that maximizes the leg drive I can do would be best for me.

IBT- thanks for the advice. Maybe I could work on that? but honestly cleaning it is not a problem at all and dowsn't tire me out at all the way I'm doing it. with a 2.5 inch handle I've cleaned 215 without too much strain, so im guessing 150 for reps on a 3 inch handle will be no prob where the clean is concerned.

Comment

I have trained with a Monsterbell and a loadable like you have. I actually have a competition this weekend that has a 120lb circus dumbbell in a press medley. I will get videos of a lot of guys and their techniques. Maybe it will help
                Central Georgia Strongest Man ~ 2nd Place Novice
                Georgia Strongest Man ~ 5th
                NWGA Muscle Strongman ~ 5th
                2010 Ironfest Challenge ~ 3rd
                2011 NAS Florida Strongman Championship ~ 2nd
                2011 Central GA Strongest Man ~ 8th (Wont Ever happen again)
                2011 Beast of the Bluegrass ~ 5th
                2011 GA Strongest Man ~ 4th
                2011 Emerald Coast Strongest Man ~ 2nd

Use the discount code KEM721 and get 5% off at Trueprotein.com.

Comment

i would REALLY appreciate that. It seems like all the pros mainly use the same method when resting it on the shoulder but if there's a better one then I'd def like to try it.

Comment

I believe that this is the dumbbell that will be at NAS Nationals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x72UAs5u41k

The Slater DB is similar though.

If you can find video of Mike Mastell from the CT Plat+ Contest he killed it, 11 reps clean and press each one and they all looked easy.
                    105 Kg Pro Strongman
                    Former NAS National Champion

Comment

hey tom. thanks a lot for your input. How sure are you that it'll be a dumbbell like that? on the entry form it said lw's are using a 10 inch and hw's a 12. After watching a few vids of heavies using a 12 inch slaters at a few big shows i assumed we had the 10 monsterbell. if im completely wrong, how did that bell feel in the vid, and how much do you think it weighed? how big of a handle, 2.5?
                      Last edited by B~RAD; 10-08-2010, 12:24 AM.

Comment

How did you get into to that kinda stuff? Looks pretty cool and you made it look easy. good luck man.
                        2005 HOA Natural Classic
                        2006 OCB Midwest
                        2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                        2008 HOA Natural Classic
                        NPC Mid-Illinois
                        NPC Midwest Open
                        NPC Natural Grand Prix
                        2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                        USPA Illinois State
                        NGA Heart of America
                        NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Originally posted by B~RAD View Post
                          hey tom. thanks a lot for your input. How sure are you that it'll be a dumbbell like that? on the entry form it said lw's are using a 10 inch and hw's a 12. After watching a few vids of heavies using a 12 inch slaters at a few big shows i assumed we had the 10 monsterbell. if im completely wrong, how did that bell feel in the vid, and how much do you think it weighed? how big of a handle, 2.5?
                          I read that they are using Bigg Dogg equipment for Nationals but after looking through the thread on the Anvil Dione mentioned a Slater DB. In Dallas they only had a Slater DB for the HW (180 lbs); the LW's used a plate load handle there and in CT we used the Bigg Dogg DB @ 150 lbs (weighs 110# empty).

I'll email Dione right now to find out for you.
                          105 Kg Pro Strongman

Comment

Dione just confirmed that it is a Slater DB for the LW's, sorry for the false alarm.
                            105 Kg Pro Strongman

Comment

Thanks guys.

And thanks a lot for confirming that for me Tom. phew... The dumbbell is really the only event I'm worried about zeroing on, my pressing sucks. I'm hoping heavy front squats, 3 board bench, and standing military press will cover me for it. Anything you can recommend for speed work for leg drive?

And when's your next show? I bet you'd be surprised how many people follow your youtube vids. My buddy is a little shorter and was complaining about stone height until I showed him you loading a 375 like cake haha

Comment

Working...
                              X