Deadlift help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadlift help

I'm planning to do a local (on base) bench/deadlift meet in January. My bench is good but I haven't really been doing real deadlift, only rack deads. In addition to doing the actual dealifts, what other lifts can I do to assist in DL? I have 4 months to prepare
    I'd really like to see your DL programs. If you have it in a journal, just post a link. I really don't want to start searching everyone journal..ugh.

Thanks
    Bryan

Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

5/3/1 Program brought my deadlift up pretty quick. I have not tried any other programs so I have nothing to compare to.
    Week 1 3 x 5 (75%,80%,85%)
    Week 2 3 x 3 (80%, 85%, 90%)
    Week 3 75% x 5, 85%x3, 95%x1+
    Week 4 (deload) 3 x 5 (60%, 65%, 70%)

^ just in case you weren't familiar with the 5/3/1 template

J

Comment

Heavy ab work and high rep db rows.
      Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

when preparing for my last meet where i pulled 520 with belt and chalk only I used a twice a week lower body approach. I'll post some workouts from my notebook.

Looking back at log I can't tell what day of the week which workouts were what, but I generally did lower body on tuesdays and fridays.

Box squat 335(5x1)
        pistol sqt 35(3x5)
        1 leg back ext bw(3x5)

deadlift 225x5,315x3,365x1,405(3x3)
        single leg hip ext bw(4x10)
        goblet sqt 50(4x5)

My workouts basically went like that, keeping things submaximal and never pulling over 455x2 before the actual meet. I also squatted 475 in the meet.

Looking back now and having more experience I would do things slightly different, basically not using things like pistols. And you could probably get a better carryover to deadlift using a front squat for speed or RE. And finish deadlifting with a light set of deficit deads. Depends on your weaknesses.
        "Busy Gettin' Big"

Comment

I tried some deads here at the house the other night. For not having really ever tried then from the floor, I did 400x2 with 3 sets working up to that: 225x2, 315x2, 365x2. 400 came up fairly easy. Probably could have done 450. I've got 3 months to train for it and I'd like to do 500.

I may have found an issue for the bench. I'm 6ft tall with a 78" reach. When I bench I don't quite get the bar all the way to my chest. Will have to try going wider. Any other tips to aid this?
          Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by BryanB View Post
            I tried some deads here at the house the other night. For not having really ever tried then from the floor, I did 400x2 with 3 sets working up to that: 225x2, 315x2, 365x2. 400 came up fairly easy. Probably could have done 450. I've got 3 months to train for it and I'd like to do 500.

I may have found an issue for the bench. I'm 6ft tall with a 78" reach. When I bench I don't quite get the bar all the way to my chest. Will have to try going wider. Any other tips to aid this?
            im 6'1, i don't know what my reach is though.

anyway, I have always sucked at presses, bench and overhead, it totally sucks to see someone press a log and it is barely over their head, and that is not even half a rom for me.

I have really worked with my bench form, and actually pinky on the ring, tuck tuck tuck has been the best for me. In bench I feel the biggest asset is the least ROM you have to do. I love testing out new grips and widths and such on floor presses. I have rested the bar on my chest during a floor press, so I know which widths give me the least rom.

So I would suggest trying to find you sweet grip spot, then tucking in tight and hitting the bar kind of on the top of the abs....

Comment

Originally posted by BryanB View Post
              I'm planning to do a local (on base) bench/deadlift meet in January. My bench is good but I haven't really been doing real deadlift, only rack deads. In addition to doing the actual dealifts, what other lifts can I do to assist in DL? I have 4 months to prepare
              I'd really like to see your DL programs. If you have it in a journal, just post a link. I really don't want to start searching everyone journal..ugh.

Thanks
              Do you plan on deadlifting conventional stance or sumo stance?

I have found that front squats have helped my deadlift quite a bit, and rack/deficit work is also beneficial. For more advanced trainees you may want to look at doing an ME/DE split and including some band work.

The two most popular deadlift-focused training programs are:

- Coan Phillipe
              - Ortmayer Magnusson
              105 Kg Pro Strongman
              Former NAS National Champion

Comment

@Tim..I'll try the bench tucking and see how that works. Maybe I can lift my ass high enough off the bech I can touch the bar to my hips..haha

@ Shakes..most likely conventional. Haven't tried the sumo but both are allowed. I'll try it out this week. I was going to ask what deficit deads were but google is my friend. I could see them being beneficial.
                I see both programs are 11-12 weeks, perfect timing for my event.

Thanks
                Bryan

Comment

Bryan, you may already be doing this already but I saw a huge carryover when I went from "touch and go" Deadlifts to "actual" Deadlifts.

Comment

Originally posted by btech View Post
                    Bryan, you may already be doing this already but I saw a huge carryover when I went from "touch and go" Deadlifts to "actual" Deadlifts.
                    that depends on what your sticking point is...

the "touch and go" has slowly helped my lockout, as the back is constantly under stress.

but reseting after each rep should on paper help your off the floor.

but it is something that is slowly recognizable overtime.

Comment

Originally posted by thetim View Post
                      that depends on what your sticking point is...

the "touch and go" has slowly helped my lockout, as the back is constantly under stress.

but reseting after each rep should on paper help your off the floor.

but it is something that is slowly recognizable overtime.
                      True that...back when I was doing touch and go, that first rep was the hardest, which is why I switched to resetting between reps. It's really helped to push up my max deadlift.

Comment

I've been doing the Coan Phillipe program for the last 3 weeks for my deads. So far so good. I think I've done more regualr deadlifts in the past 3 weeks than I have ever done all together. I do a slight pause at the end of each rep to make sure I'm not bouncing the weight. Did 8 sets of 3 w/315 Tuesday. My ass hurts ;-)

Starting his bench routine today. I did 385 last week on bench. I had more. Thinking I could have pushed 400 but I was working without a spotter.
                        Bryan

Comment

I just reactly started getting into deadlift again and its one of my weaker lifts out of the big 3..bench,squat, deadlift.
                          No Free Advertising!

Comment

Working...
                          X