Pain in Forearms, not new just getting unbearable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain in Forearms, not new just getting unbearable

I dissapeared for a couple of months, took 3 weeks off completely but have been going strong for the past month and recently started heavily incorperating my event training into my routine. I do event training Wed and Sat. My issue here is that I have shooting pains in my forearms, kind of like shin splints which I used to get if I ran more than 3 miles, however I dont run much anymore so I dont have that issue. This is a pain that used to bother me now and then working construction, but not this intense. Then I would get it occasionally when doing preecher curls. It is a pain that you can push through when the adrenaline is pumping but after setting the weight down or stopping whatever it is (like flipping the tire) which is what really is bothering it, the pain is sharp and throbbing and takes awhile to subside. The tire was the main event that I trained on Saturday and right now I can only bend my wrists about 45 degrees back, if I force it it is extremely tight and painful. Now I know some of this has to be forearm muscles from my training but what on earth is the pain that shoots up the arms imediately after the intense exersize? I was feeling it yesterday when fishing and casting out even! It drives me nuts because its boarderline being soemthing that is going to really start affecting my training. I guess Im just curious who else has experienced soemthing like this? Should I see a doctor or just push through it and quit being a wimp? Possible tendonitis? Just looking for some opinions or similar type "injuries".
    This is what my weekly routine looks like, It is somewhat a Powerlifting routine with Strongman incorperated in case that helps:

Monday-
    Speed Bench with chains 8x3
    OHP- Sometimes barbell, Log, dumbell 5x5
    Dumbell Rows 3x8
    Skull Crushers 3x8
    Hammer Curls 3x8 (just for fun)
    Tire strikes 20x4 (each side)

Tuesday-
    Box Squats 8x3
    Good Mornings 5x5
    Pistols 5x5
    GHR (depends, I suck at them often having to do negatives alone)
    Sometimes I throw in timed Farmers Walks as a finisher

Wednesday-
    Sled drags (many various ways) for time and or distance

Thursday-
    Heavy bench, 5x3
    OHP 5x5
    Lat pull downs 3x8
    Face Pulls 3x12
    Some form of tricep work 3x8 usually
    Curls 3x8

Friday-
    Heavy Squat day 5x5
    Good Mornings 5x5
    Tire strikes as a finisher depending on how Im feeling

Saturday-
    Event training, varies. Focussing alot on Farmers walks, Tire and Sled.

Sunday-
    Off day

I don't know how to medically diagnose your forearm problem, but I can say that it sounds like you are just over taxing the forearms. It could maybe be an over-compensation for a wrist issue, a grip issue, etc.

on Monday you are taxing your forearms by doing db rows, curls, and tire strikes.
    then if you do farmers you are working them again on Tuesday, then Wednesday pulling the sled.
    Thursday you might be lightly hitting them again with the curls
    Friday you are working them with the tire strikes,
    then Saturday you are blasting them with events.

So going by your schedule, you don't really give your forearms any time to rest.

on a side note.... where are the deadlifts?

Comment

Alright.. I am honestly very experienced in this subject as I have had the forearm pain that you are describing, but I have had it several different ways.

1. Does it go up to the elbow at all?
      2. Do you feel it in your hands at all?
      3. Can you "touch" where the pain is? As in, can you apply pressure to the target area?

Active Recovery Therapy and Ice brotha... thats the ONLY way your gonna get rid of this, aside of taking more time off.

It KILLED me on Stones... and Log.. and pretty much anything else where my had my hands in a bicep dominating position, curls etc...

ICE ICE ICE and do some ART 3x's per day. Ice after workouts and before you goto bed. Its more than likely tendonitis.. thats why I am curious to where the pain is derived from.

Comment

Tim, Deadlifts will be coming in a couple weeks, after working these two core lifts I will drop one and add in my deads while doing accessory work for the lift that I am not doing at that time. As you were saying though, my grip does need soem work...

Texas Strong, It is a tough one to describe. I am not getting it in my elbows. The pain feels like its in the very center of my arm yet when I set the side of my arms down say on the edge of a table, very little pressure if any sends the pain shootong again.

Comment

ive had pain like that.

I think the time that best relates to your pain is when I strained my left wrist and right after it started healing up, my left forearm was in pain. I was guessing it was from the over compensation the forearm had to make for the weak wrist. It went away after a while of treating it like a baby, lol.

I think regardless of what the problem is or what you do to fix it, I would add in some forearm stretches and some wrist stretches. I like to just stand with a fat bar in my hand and see how long I can hold it. Or go onto a bench like I would do a wrist curl, and hold the bottom/stretch position for as long as I can.

Comment

Hmm, yea I think I will defenitely try the stretches for sure. Thing that sucks though is that this is a reaccurring issue, its not something that will go away forever which infuriates me to no end. I got so pissed after flipping and being in pain again I thought I had curbed that forearm pain for the most part only having it return on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Strong View Post
              Alright.. I am honestly very experienced in this subject as I have had the forearm pain that you are describing, but I have had it several different ways.

1. Does it go up to the elbow at all?
              2. Do you feel it in your hands at all?
              3. Can you "touch" where the pain is? As in, can you apply pressure to the target area?

Active Recovery Therapy and Ice brotha... thats the ONLY way your gonna get rid of this, aside of taking more time off.

It KILLED me on Stones... and Log.. and pretty much anything else where my had my hands in a bicep dominating position, curls etc...

ICE ICE ICE and do some ART 3x's per day. Ice after workouts and before you goto bed. Its more than likely tendonitis.. thats why I am curious to where the pain is derived from.
              AGREE! ICE AND ART... If you don't know about ART just call up a few chiropractors, I have found that to be the cheapest way to get it done often.

Comment

So last week I was doing the 200 lbs sandbag lifts to a 36" platform. I felt great while getting my reps in working on my form. The next day my elbow was killing me. I chalked it up to tendonidis. Well now we are over a week in and been icing and staying away from using it as much as possible. I've done ice, icy hot, heat, and Advil. I've got together back to training. Any ideas on what else I can do? I don't want to keep going and making it worse but I have a competition coming up Nov 10. Any advise is appreciated.
                "Let's open a can of kick ass and kill em all, let the paramedics sort 'em out"

Comment

My elbow used to bother me from time to time with stones and log press, I started using neoprene sleeves, and it really made a difference for me. I also started using Kwan Loong oil on my joints when they ached, it burns, but makes a world of difference in recovery for me. Contrast showers every night after training, hot epsom salt baths, and ice baths. My wife always says our bathroom looks like a physical therapists office.
                  …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Mark where would you suggest I look for that Kwan loong oil? Never heard of it before. I use sleeves already but never done the Epsom salt, the ice bath may not be a bad thought either. Thanks.

Comment

Amazon or vitamin Shoppe
                      [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
                      Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Thanks mister69 for the link. I went to a tack shop near my house and picked up some type of ointment called mineral ice (essentially icy hot for horses). It is working great on my elbow today. I am just so sick of this pain and its hendering my workouts. I can not believe this had to happen so close to my first event. Any good ideas for strengthening these tendons so it doesnt happen again?

Comment

Neoprene sleeves work wonders for warmth and compression.... but still leaves your forearms vulnerable... do u use wrist wraps? also, if u have a training partner, u can have him wrap ur forearms, from elbow to ur wrist, with knee wraps that u would use while squatting,,, works great!!! just not as tight as u would if u were wrapping ur knees 4 a ME Squat.

Comment

A good link from Scott (Homon) on similar pain and ointments.
                            http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthr...highlight=kwan
                            "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

Superman, I do use wrist wraps plus I tape my wrist as well for support when I'm doing heavy days. The sleeves have been working well also. Thanks for the tip I'm going to try and have my wrist to elbow lap like you mentioned and see how that works.

Thanks for the link MaxNat

Comment

Working...
                              X