This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunlovinCO View Post
    I recently bought 2 new 3 inch Axels (purchased tires as well), 2 New Sets of Farmers, and a ton of used equipment from a retired strongman. I am in the process of making two sets of uprights for Keg Throwing. I will let you know how those come out. I am lucky that I can get Kegs as often as I like because my husband is friends with a manager at a very large brewery in town. We usually have 10 or so extra sitting around. Although I think I need 12 or 13 for my next show...

I am trying to get 2 sets of matching equipment for the shows here in Colorado. It is expensive but I am slowly getting there.
    thats some cool stuff, it took me about 3-4 months just to get the two kegs i got, and one is really beat up.

Comment

I have been away from the forum for a while Tim and this is the first thing I see logging in. Awesome thread/OP man! Thanks for thinking this one up!
      Muscle used is muscle gained.

RuneKast Tattoos

Comment

Originally posted by Onslaught View Post
        I have been away from the forum for a while Tim and this is the first thing I see logging in. Awesome thread/OP man! Thanks for thinking this one up!
        no problem man!!!

I hope to add some stuff in the future. I currently have a couple things I want to get and will add the the list quite nicely.

Hussefelt Stone
        aluminum or stone Block
        maybe an actual prowler
        rope to do arm over arm pulls
        heavier atlas stone, possibly with some type of lead insert.

Comment

I have a question for you Tim. Or anyone that might be able to answer actually. Since this is an equipment thread I was hoping someone could help.

Here in SD we have quartzite all over the place. It's mined quite a bit out here and you can't get it from the mines for free, but if you keep an eye open you can get the rock, and quite a bit of it as it's generally laying all over the place. I have a buddy who lives by a river and those stones are all up and down it. It's a money saver when one is trying to acquire implements on a low budget. Plus being a farming area, I have had pretty good luck getting some old tractor tires and various other things I have been able to take the place of "standard" strongman implements with.

Quartzite is heavy stuff. The stones will be smaller in size than other types of stone but weigh more. That's both good and bad because while I can use the heavier weight easier since they're smaller, if I were in a competition (which I haven't done yet) I think I might suffer a bit due to awkwardness? I don't know so I just thought I ask for thoughts on that?

Anyway, here's my main issue. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get these things weighed? Any ideas on places that generally have scales that might allow me to take this stuff in and get the proper weights of them? I have quartzite stones of various sizes and a few tires. I also found an empty keg in the back of a truck at the business next door to me and the guy was kind enough to give it to me. Some round hollow concrete piping that was at the town dump...though I can't use those until the snow hits because I dropped one on the ground and it shattered.

Thanks ahead of time Tim,..or anyone else who might be able to answer.

RuneKast Tattoos

Comment

Originally posted by Onslaught View Post
            I have a question for you Tim. Or anyone that might be able to answer actually. Since this is an equipment thread I was hoping someone could help.

Here in SD we have quartzite all over the place. It's mined quite a bit out here and you can't get it from the mines for free, but if you keep an eye open you can get the rock, and quite a bit of it as it's generally laying all over the place. I have a buddy who lives by a river and those stones are all up and down it. It's a money saver when one is trying to acquire implements on a low budget. Plus being a farming area, I have had pretty good luck getting some old tractor tires and various other things I have been able to take the place of "standard" strongman implements with.

Quartzite is heavy stuff. The stones will be smaller in size than other types of stone but weigh more. That's both good and bad because while I can use the heavier weight easier since they're smaller, if I were in a competition (which I haven't done yet) I think I might suffer a bit due to awkwardness? I don't know so I just thought I ask for thoughts on that?

Anyway, here's my main issue. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get these things weighed? Any ideas on places that generally have scales that might allow me to take this stuff in and get the proper weights of them? I have quartzite stones of various sizes and a few tires. I also found an empty keg in the back of a truck at the business next door to me and the guy was kind enough to give it to me. Some round hollow concrete piping that was at the town dump...though I can't use those until the snow hits because I dropped one on the ground and it shattered.

Thanks ahead of time Tim,..or anyone else who might be able to answer.
            the only idea I have for you, is to find a big recycling plant, or a truck weigh station. Those are the only two off the top of my head places that could weight something large.

Comment

Okay, thanks.

RuneKast Tattoos

Comment

Great stuff!
                "You can't be the fastest or the strongest but you can always work the hardest." - Jim Wendler

"Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom

Comment

Thanks for the info. Very informative. I am just starting out. Ordered some farmers for a couple hundred bucks. Also ordered the sandbags as listed above and an Olympic dumbbell bar for the time being to do some heavy circus type presses. Would love to get an actual circus dumbbell but don't have the funds ATM. Already had a small sled so I will use that for now with the hopes of getting a prowler down the road. Also picked up a keg and have two more on the way with On my way! 55 gallon drums. I am looking into getting some stones at this point or making them myself.,thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                  X