Strongman Etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strongman Etiquette

I found this post on another site. I think it's a good post for any of us train at someone elses place. I know I will be adding and removing some behaviours from my events training sessions.

Strongman etiquette
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lately our sport has been growing a lot especially on the local levels. It has been great to see some of the new talent showing up to meets and even better to see how competitive some of the classes are becoming. But with growth comes growing pains, and anything that grows needs proper care and guidance.
    I had the opportunity to train with Travis Ortmayer and his crew a couple of months ago and noticed that he had a lot of similar complaints as I have had expressed to me from guys around here ( as well as my own frustrations). These are especially bothersome to me because one of the things that keeps me in strongman is the camaraderie. Because of the nature of the events and the fact that few people own ALL of the necessary equipment, and the fact that training methodology for strongman is still in its infancy, we are by necessity forced to stick together and help each other out by sharing equipment and ideas. So in order to help preserve the spirit of strongman (especially KCstrongman) I wanted to post some thoughts/suggestions for basic rules of etiquette. Now before I do I want to say that these are NOT aimed at any particular person (we are all guilty of some of these and I definitely include myself).
    So here they are, feel free to comment, disagree or add to them.

If you go to a training day at someone else’s place, Remember you’re a guest, and since a lot of times its in someone’s home be extra mindful.

Since the sport is growing, training groups get larger and larger, so if everyone wants to do different stuff then the session is going to take way too long to be productive. So if your going to train at someone else place, make plans with them before hand if there are special events you want to work on. And if someone posts a training day and says “we are going to be doing event A,B,C,and D. Don’t show up and say “I need to work event F”.

Remember, most of the equipment is bought by guys who have to work hard and save up, or groups of guys who pool their finances to get their equipment. Even at SouthSide where it’s a commercial gym environment, all the strongman equipment was paid for by the guys who compete. So treat it that way.

If you train at someone elses place and use their stones, but don’t bring them a jar of Tacky from time to time, it’s a safe bet that when your not around you are referred to as “that [email protected]#ing Doosh”……….same goes for WD40 or GOJO Etc.

Remember, if you crap yourself during a competition, try not to do it while you have tacky on your hands.

If you train at someone else place on a regular basis and you show up one day and they have a beautiful new piece of equipment. The correct response is “hey let me kick you a few bucks to cover the cost of that”!.......another acceptable response is: “hey I’ve got some kegs that I’m going to leave here for a while for when we train”.

If your 12 feet tall and weigh 688, try not to fall down during farmers walks. Because, man, were not going to be able to keep picking your big ass up!

If you sign up for a meet and something comes up and your not going to make it, Let the promoter know as soon as you can. Lately most competitions have alternate list when all of the spots get filled. If you back out, let them fill your spot!

If your not competing in a meet, but are able to attend, LOAD. Its scientifically impossible to have too many loaders. I have recently gained a new respect for the guys that put on these meets. Running a meet is about 12 times harder than winning one. Remember, Every time you move a weight, someone has to move it back before the show can go on.

If deep in your heart you think you really are the strongest man to ever live but that you just haven’t been able to quite get it dialed in on event day, And its just a matter of time before we are all basking in your glory. That’s fine, but in case your dad or granddad didn’t tell you: those are thoughts that are supposed to remain on the inside of your head.

If you have been working so hard to load that stone, week after week. And tonight you lapped it and got it to the edge of the platform, and it was sooooo close, but you didn’t quit make it: its ok to be mad and frustrated. But DO NOT KICK THE STONE!!

If you live in a candy store and all of your friends are starving, don’t go around buying up all the candy just because your on the internet all day and see the good deals before everyone else does!

A little friendly trash talking is ok. But if you can’t control your mouth (or your mouse), go find a pick-up basketball game in da hood. This is strongman!

Don’t ask a fellow competitor to help you pull your suit on right before a grip event.

If you train at someone else’s place, don’t get WD40 all over the bathroom.

If your using wrist straps for an event, but you need someone else to help you tighten them onto the implement, you’re a dummy! were not firing you out of a cannon here, its a friggin barbell and two nylon straps! (that complaint is only from me, no one else seems to mind!)

Don’t drop implements on Darren Barnhart’s hands or feet, have some respect.

Don’t call and say your coming to train and then not show up, leaving everyone waiting for you and screwing up the training day. And don’t do it 3 or 4 weeks in a row either.

If you ARE going to come to a training day, check with the guy throwing it and make sure its cool, don’t just drop in out of nowhere.

If you training around some guys that are getting ready for a competition. and you are just goofing around. Try and let them get their stuff done.

Help the new guys out as much as you can. This stuff can be pretty intimidating at first. If your at a meet and you see a new guy with that deer in the headlights look, give him a hand.

If you are faced with a situation in training or competition and you dont know how to conduct yourself, remember this: WWTND (What Would Timmy Nassen DO)

These are just a few thoughts.
    We are made strong by what we overcome.

I couldn't agree more. Alot of great points were made. We had a couple of guests stop by and train with us a couple months ago. We all went first and did it our way, then these two clowns do it and dam near break a stone a mirror and a KB. It was ridiculous. I thought the gym owner was gonna blow a gasket but he kept his cool.
    And I am all for everyone cheering on and helping everyone. This is a sport that takes alot of inner strength, real strength and some people yelling at ya to complete. Always nice to have and if they yell for you, you should yell when thier up.
    I haven't seen to much poor behavior. But it was good of Barbarian to put out some simple guide lines. You had to many good points for me hit em all.
    Last edited by brotherdarryl; 09-20-2007, 06:45 PM.
    Ya don't get good talkin about it!

Comment

this was written by one our KC strongman group members, his name is Conan Wass, 95% of the people I have met are great, but there are that 5% that can ruin it at times, in our training group if your a dipshit or rude you wont last too long.

Scott

Comment

awesome thread...now where do I find a training group?????

Comment

Originally posted by legaljuicer View Post
          awesome thread...now where do I find a training group?????
          Where are you located?????

Comment

Originally posted by Workhorse View Post
            Where are you located?????
            he's about 3 miles from me....in south central wisconsin
            To save 5% on your TrueProtein.com purchase, use discount code: DAS235
            --------------------------------------

SUCCESS = CONSISTENCY X TIME
            - Sniffy54

--------------------------------------
            "Consistency can take you a long way"
            - Homonunculus

Comment

Hmmm... trying to think of anyone there training strongman.... ummmm....

Comment

theres a group out of Milwaukee, Pete Konradt runs that group I think, and theres one out of New London, and Ben Hanson traines in Wisconsin also.

ST

Comment

awesome...any clues how to contact them and see if it is possible to train with them???

Comment

I think I found pete's email address

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3232

Comment

etiquette

Originally posted by KS Strongman View Post
                      this was written by one our KC strongman group members, his name is Conan Wass, 95% of the people I have met are great, but there are that 5% that can ruin it at times, in our training group if your a dipshit or rude you wont last too long.

Scott
                      Hey guys... wasn't sure who had written it; thanks for letting us know, and thanks for the quote, Conan! (Wish I had a name like that, dammit!)
                      J
                      We are made strong by what we overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by legaljuicer View Post
                        awesome...any clues how to contact them and see if it is possible to train with them???
                        I train with Pete and the rest of those guys. PM me.

Comment

Working...
                        X