X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KS Strongman
    replied
    Daryl,

Even within our training group alot of us do different stuff during the week, I do some Pling too, and when Im trainign for a meet, my workouts train quite a bit too.

ST

Leave a comment:

• brotherdarryl
    replied
    Is there just one way to train for this? You guys have good routines but mine is no where close. Oh except for Saturday being event day. There have been some Saturdays that are harder than show day. Makes Monday really hard to even go to work. The basics to my routine are to rotate lifts and rotate the intensity, light, medium and heavy. Work in some event trainning at the end when I'm smoked and see how I do.

Leave a comment:

• Superman55
    replied
    i have a great routine that i will post here at a later date... i combine DC and powerlifting. the PL for pure strength, and DC is set up for endurance. it works real well on a push/ pull/ legs split... with event training optional on the weekend for the serious strongman... whole work out takes hour and a half. 3 days a week. that includes warm-ups and extreme stretches from the moment u enter to the moment u leave.

Leave a comment:

• KS Strongman
    replied
    my training does also change due to events for a comp to, if I need more endurance I will add in more cardio, superset, less rest, if theres a partial pull Ill focus on that as my main DL movment, etc.

ST

Leave a comment:

• Sentinel
    replied
    Originally posted by legaljuicer View Post
    No it is from liftism
    oh ok.

i was going to post a lot of the points WH made but then i thought against it because id mostly likely get flamed.....but, those were some very cool points and i agree with him.

Leave a comment:

• Sentinel
    replied
    Originally posted by KS Strongman View Post
    Well not saying this is right but this has been my program for quite some time:

Monday-Chest/Arms-yes I still train biceps becuase it helps keep the tendonitus away that storngman causes for me.
    some sort of flat bench-DB or barbell, Incline Close Grip, and a higher rep/low rest finisher, I hit some pressdowns and some sort of Frnech Curl/OH DB Extension, for arms once heavier curls movment and one lighter higher rep/low rep- I also stretch during this workout to not tighten up and lose flexibility

Tuesday-Squat/DL/oly/conditioning
    start out with a DL movment-rotate floor DL, platform DL, block Pulls, and trap bar, squat i rotate front, back and band-change the reps each week usually 5-6 sets of 2-5, then I rotate one oly movment a week, I go light and the whole point is to work on the explosiveness of the lift, will rotate between Powersnatch, hang snatch, power cleans, hang cleans, and snatch or clean grip high pulls, I finish up with some sort of medley, can consist of a load. carry, drag or all the above, and I do reverse hypers after this to end the night, also will throw in some grip work on this night alot of time too

Thursday-Overhead/Upper back
    Push Press or strict press-bar, log, palms facing bar
    will add in some reps on the DB press on light nights for high reps with short reps, then i do a shrug movement, an heavy Rows, then shoulder accessory stuff and pulldowns last

Saturday-Event Day
    usually depending on the contest I do 3-5 events, a carry, a load, something for grip, and log/Kbell/axle, and change it up do say heavy Yoke one week, then the next time a little ligher but with higher intensity, we do alot of say 600lb Yoke, and me and my training partners will go 3 runs of 60 back to back to back

* not saying this is the best or right way, but its worked well for me
    a friend of mine from Mike Riguerra's forum (iron godz) does a similar routine. works very well for him.

Leave a comment:

• I-beam
    replied
    pull/push/legs

i actually don't deadlift on pull just upper back and biceps, heavy horizontal row first, then pull ups or pulldowns I'll even use the hammer stregnth pull down
    and some curls, usually a set of 15 or 2 sets of 10

for push i keep it simple
    normally i do heavy overhead and then a chest movement, laterals and tris but I like to barbell bench some times so ill do that and high rep overhead
    high reps on laterals and tri's
    prehab work (rotator cuff tendonitis)

legs
    heavy squats with sldl as assisitance, or heavy deads with front squats as assistance
    maybe leg press, usually skip it haha
    abs, or hypers and calves if im feeling extra perky

Leave a comment:

• legaljuicer
    replied
    now we are getting some good replies and thoughts. Come on I know there are more opinions and routines people are using. Come one people post yours up.

Leave a comment:

• KS Strongman
    replied
    Well not saying this is right but this has been my program for quite some time:

Monday-Chest/Arms-yes I still train biceps becuase it helps keep the tendonitus away that storngman causes for me.
    some sort of flat bench-DB or barbell, Incline Close Grip, and a higher rep/low rest finisher, I hit some pressdowns and some sort of Frnech Curl/OH DB Extension, for arms once heavier curls movment and one lighter higher rep/low rep- I also stretch during this workout to not tighten up and lose flexibility

Tuesday-Squat/DL/oly/conditioning
    start out with a DL movment-rotate floor DL, platform DL, block Pulls, and trap bar, squat i rotate front, back and band-change the reps each week usually 5-6 sets of 2-5, then I rotate one oly movment a week, I go light and the whole point is to work on the explosiveness of the lift, will rotate between Powersnatch, hang snatch, power cleans, hang cleans, and snatch or clean grip high pulls, I finish up with some sort of medley, can consist of a load. carry, drag or all the above, and I do reverse hypers after this to end the night, also will throw in some grip work on this night alot of time too

Thursday-Overhead/Upper back
    Push Press or strict press-bar, log, palms facing bar
    will add in some reps on the DB press on light nights for high reps with short reps, then i do a shrug movement, an heavy Rows, then shoulder accessory stuff and pulldowns last

Saturday-Event Day
    usually depending on the contest I do 3-5 events, a carry, a load, something for grip, and log/Kbell/axle, and change it up do say heavy Yoke one week, then the next time a little ligher but with higher intensity, we do alot of say 600lb Yoke, and me and my training partners will go 3 runs of 60 back to back to back

* not saying this is the best or right way, but its worked well for me

Leave a comment:

• Workhorse
    replied
    Originally posted by legaljuicer View Post
    Ok. I would like to see what others are doing for their routines. Here is the one I am using(compliments of teamsniffy)

Monday:
    Squats 2 x 5
    Box squats 2 x 5
    Leg presses 1 x 20 (pick 1 of the squats + the leg presses)
    posterior core movement 2 x 10-20reps
    heavy abs 2 x 20
    hips 1 x 20-25 reps
    Calves (your choice of exercise if you like) 2 x 10

Tuesday:
    Wide grip flat bench 2 x 6 (index fingers on the rings)
    hammer grip dbs 2 x 8-12 reps
    tricep push downs 1-2 x 8-100reps. (yup 100)
    db side laterals 1-2 x 10reps light
    db front raises 1-2 x 10reps light
    pull-a-parts 1-2 x 20reps

Thursday:
    Dead lifts (rotate variations each week) 2 x 5
    heavy abs 2 x 20reps
    rows 2 x 4-8reps
    Reverse grip narrow grip pull downs 2 x 4-8reps
    Standing wide grip curls 2 x 8-12 reps (or your favorite curl here)
    hammer curls or reverse curls 2 x 8-12reps
    Now that I have time to look at this and not just reply like a smartass... I'll tell you what I really think.

This is NOT a good program for strongman... period. These workouts would take HOURS to complete as well. I would focus on ONE main exercise for each bodypart, preferable a compound movement, and hit it hard once a week... then rotate 2 or 3 exercises over 2 or 3 weeks and that way you're not doing the same stuff EVERY week.

Also, strongman is all about overhead pressing and grip... I see NEITHER in this trainin split. Sorry, but side raises and front raises aren't going to get you to a big overhead press.

Honestly, my advice is stay far away from this split and some of exercises listed if you're serious about strongman. Oh, and a 100 repper isn't going to do anything but build up lactic acid...sorry.

Leave a comment:

• The Dude
    replied
    I know Strongman isn't bodybuilding, so endurance is a factor that should be considered when training, but would a 100-repper on the pushdown really be all that helpful for anything?

Leave a comment:

• legaljuicer
    replied
    No it is from liftism

Leave a comment:

• Sentinel
    replied
    is that IA's program?

Leave a comment:

• Workhorse
    replied
    I'm doing....................... DC

Leave a comment:

• legaljuicer
    started a topic StrongMan Weight Training Routines

StrongMan Weight Training Routines

Ok. I would like to see what others are doing for their routines. Here is the one I am using(compliments of teamsniffy)

Monday:
    Squats 2 x 5
    Box squats 2 x 5
    Leg presses 1 x 20 (pick 1 of the squats + the leg presses)
    heavy abs 2 x 20
    hips 1 x 20-25 reps
    Calves (your choice of exercise if you like) 2 x 10

Tuesday:
    Wide grip flat bench 2 x 6 (index fingers on the rings)
    hammer grip dbs 2 x 8-12 reps
    tricep push downs 1-2 x 8-100reps. (yup 100)
    db side laterals 1-2 x 10reps light
    db front raises 1-2 x 10reps light
    pull-a-parts 1-2 x 20reps

Thursday:
    Dead lifts (rotate variations each week) 2 x 5
    heavy abs 2 x 20reps
    rows 2 x 4-8reps
    Reverse grip narrow grip pull downs 2 x 4-8reps
    Standing wide grip curls 2 x 8-12 reps (or your favorite curl here)
    hammer curls or reverse curls 2 x 8-12reps
Working...
X